There are 226 users in the forums

We just called a mini-mulligan for the 09 draft.

Originally posted by 23zack80:
1st round receiver vs. 6th round receiver
2nd round safety vs. 7th rounds safety
3rd round linebacker vs. 5th round linebacker
6th round tightend vs. 6th round tightend
3rd round runningback vs. 6th round running back

Late round picks aren't expected to be starters. They are expected to fill roles and be special teamers. Calling this draft a mini-mulligan doesn't make sense since all of your comparisons are early picks to late picks or late picks to late picks.

I clearly stated that you can dismiss the Crabtree-Wilson and Taylor-Mays because one is clearly better then the other.

Now, a 3rd round pick I still consider a mid round pick just as I do a 5th round pick. We used a mid rounder this year to redraft and OLB/ILB even though we did the same last year. Clearly McKillop didn't leave the strongest of impressions so we took another ILB again. If McKillop was the guy we wouldn't of brought in a FA last year and started him after first starting McKillop. Bottom line is he was expected to be a future starter and obviously that isn't the case. FYI he was projected as a 3rd round pick!!

A 6th round TE for a 6th round TE is clearly a mulligan.

Lastly we drafted another thumper even though we did the same last year. If a position is 100% set you rarely draft that same position again back to back years. I would bet that come TC you will see serious competition at RB and ILB, what does that tell you...that we aren't set at the position in some way.

From ESPN
Quote:
Dixon is a monster at 6-1, 245 pounds and led the SEC in rushing yards per game (yes, he outran Heisman winner Mark Ingram), but he fell into the sixth round because scouts were apparently concerned about his lack of quickness. Dixon is a surprisingly good pass-catcher and a willing blocker, and looks like a much better fit to pair with Frank Gore than Glen Coffee was. I think you'll see Dixon on the field a significant amount in '10.

Per CBS draft scout he was graded as a round 3-4 pick

Now am I crowning any of these kids...nope. I'm saying that I think we are unhappy with some of last years picks and that's why we saw so many of the positions touched on again.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Late round picks aren't expected to be starters. They are expected to fill roles and be special teamers. Calling this draft a mini-mulligan doesn't make sense since all of your comparisons are early picks to late picks or late picks to late picks.

What?
Bear Pascoe was a bust (both drafted in 6th)
Coffee was over-drafted (he was a 3rd), and Coffee may very well be beat out by a 6th pick. So I would consider Coffee a 're-do'.

Coffee was not "over-drafted." Last year when the Niners took him, it was pretty unanimous with draft pundits that he was expected to go in the 3rd and that it was a pretty good pick by the Niners.

I think people suffer from "new toy" syndrome. They get a toy they think is awesome, then a year later the toy isn't so great because they are used to it. Now a new toy is given to them and they immediately want to throw out the old toy, even though there might be a lot of good left in it. Coffee only played for year with one of the worst lines in football. Give the guy a chance.

Nobody is implying that Coffee is a used toy. The premise of the thread was to point out that we have redrafted certain positions back to back. Granted Dixon is a later round pick but we still drafted a kid. If we had complete faith in Coffee would we draft another thumper the following year. Also considering Gore carries the vast majority of the load, point being I don't think we had faith in Coffee as the primary backup.

Exactly. It simply appears that they aren't that thrilled with their 3rd, 5th and 6th rd picks from last year.

What?
Coffee was over-drafted (he was a 3rd), and Coffee may very well be beat out by a 6th pick. So I would consider Coffee a 're-do'.

Do you expect Byham to make the roster? I doubt he will. Finley or Curtis will be the blocking tight end and Byham will make the practice squad most likely. These sixth round guys have a very slim chance of making our roster, just like many other teams 6th and 7th round guys. The team has not given up on Coffee, he will most likely be the #2 unless Dixon comes in and blows the team away. Either way, Frank will get most of the snaps so you'll be disappointed with Dixon and talk aboutt how he is a bust next year.

I'll be happy to bet you $20 that Byham makes the roster (barring injury). If you give me 2:1 odds, I'll also bet you that Dixon gets more carries than 3rd rd pick Coffee. :)

What?

Do you expect Byham to make the roster? I doubt he will. Finley or Curtis will be the blocking tight end and Byham will make the practice squad most likely. These sixth round guys have a very slim chance of making our roster, just like many other teams 6th and 7th round guys. The team has not given up on Coffee, he will most likely be the #2 unless Dixon comes in and blows the team away. Either way, Frank will get most of the snaps so you'll be disappointed with Dixon and talk aboutt how he is a bust next year.

That is generally where blocking TE's are taken. If they had any recivig acumen they would have been taken a lot earlier. Case in point Billy Bajama was a 7th round pick. We sure missed him last year. He was just a blocker but with him gone you sure could tell the difference.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

What?

Coffee was not "over-drafted." Last year when the Niners took him, it was pretty unanimous with draft pundits that he was expected to go in the 3rd and that it was a pretty good pick by the Niners.

I think people suffer from "new toy" syndrome. They get a toy they think is awesome, then a year later the toy isn't so great because they are used to it. Now a new toy is given to them and they immediately want to throw out the old toy, even though there might be a lot of good left in it. Coffee only played for year with one of the worst lines in football. Give the guy a chance.

Nobody is implying that Coffee is a used toy. The premise of the thread was to point out that we have redrafted certain positions back to back. Granted Dixon is a later round pick but we still drafted a kid. If we had complete faith in Coffee would we draft another thumper the following year. Also considering Gore carries the vast majority of the load, point being I don't think we had faith in Coffee as the primary backup.

Exactly. It simply appears that they aren't that thrilled with their 3rd, 5th and 6th rd picks from last year.

Pascoe is with the Giants, so I think it is safe to say they are not thrilled with that pick.
In defense of Bear Pasco, I checked the NYG roster, and Bear is not only still on the team, but it appears he is their #2 TE. It is also interesting that the NYG did not select any TEs in this draft. The NYG are not a shabby team. Is it possible that the 9ers mis-evaluated the guy? They have been known to do that before.
teams are always drafting multiple positions, they want extra bodies and competition.
i mean c'mon look at ANY team's drafts and you'll see that they drafted from positions that they'd already drafted before.

The Eagles drafted Desean, then the next yr they drafted WR-Maclin and HB-McCoy, and OMGZ this yr they drafted a WR in the 5th round and a HB in the 6th round!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

I clearly stated that you can dismiss the Crabtree-Wilson and Taylor-Mays because one is clearly better then the other.

Now, a 3rd round pick I still consider a mid round pick just as I do a 5th round pick. We used a mid rounder this year to redraft and OLB/ILB even though we did the same last year. Clearly McKillop didn't leave the strongest of impressions so we took another ILB again. If McKillop was the guy we wouldn't of brought in a FA last year and started him after first starting McKillop. Bottom line is he was expected to be a future starter and obviously that isn't the case. FYI he was projected as a 3rd round pick!!

Lastly we drafted another thumper even though we did the same last year. If a position is 100% set you rarely draft that same position again back to back years. I would bet that come TC you will see serious competition at RB and ILB, what does that tell you...that we aren't set at the position in some way.

From ESPN
Quote:
Dixon is a monster at 6-1, 245 pounds and led the SEC in rushing yards per game (yes, he outran Heisman winner Mark Ingram), but he fell into the sixth round because scouts were apparently concerned about his lack of quickness. Dixon is a surprisingly good pass-catcher and a willing blocker, and looks like a much better fit to pair with Frank Gore than Glen Coffee was. I think you'll see Dixon on the field a significant amount in '10.

Now am I crowning any of these kids...nope. I'm saying that I think we are unhappy with some of last years picks and that's why we saw so many of the positions touched on again.

I think you put too much value into the late round picks. Nobody except the webzone was expecting those late round guys to be starters. I'm sure the team hopes that McKillop can turn into a starter but I strongly doubt they expected him to turn into anything more than a good special teamer like Jeff Ulbrich. They didn't address the need for a future TED last year with McKillop, they addressed the need for a special teams ace at linebacker with the hope he could turn into a TED. The 49ers didn't miss on Scott McKillop, he will be on the roster for a long time. You can't call a mulligan on a player who could be the next Jeff Ulbrich.

I think the thumper running back crap is because Singletary doesn't care about a change of pace back. His plan is to run people over with Gore(big), Coffee(bigger), and Dixon(biggest). He doesn't need to run off tackle because his team imposes it's will on other teams by running three different plays up the gut. We are in for another season of crappy and predictable play-calling which may cost Singletary his job.

The 49ers missed last year on Bear Pascoe. He obviously didn't fit their philosophy since they kept Finley on the practice squad instead of him. You could call this a mulligan since they missed last year, but I don't see it as a mulligan because a late pick like that isn't expected to even make the roster.

FYI, projections don't mean s**t. No team in the NFL follows the CBS draft grades for players so your point is moot. Right now he is a sixth round pick who is will be forced to earn a roster spot. I love the pick and think he will be as good if not better than Coffee but the team wont give up on Coffee for another year or two.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
teams are always drafting multiple positions, they want extra bodies and competition.
i mean c'mon look at ANY team's drafts and you'll see that they drafted from positions that they'd already drafted before.

The Eagles drafted Desean, then the next yr they drafted WR-Maclin and HB-McCoy, and OMGZ this yr they drafted a WR in the 5th round and a HB in the 6th round!

Jackson and Maclin will both play at the same time. With Westbrook being released they had the room to add another RB, it was needed.

Clearly you didn't read what I had said in the beginning Granted, Crabtree and Williams are 2 different kids that bring opposite skill sets to the team so the difference is apparent.

From ESPN
Quote:

I think you put too much value into the late round picks. Nobody except the webzone was expecting those late round guys to be starters. I'm sure the team hopes that McKillop can turn into a starter but I strongly doubt they expected him to turn into anything more than a good special teamer like Jeff Ulbrich. They didn't address the need for a future TED last year with McKillop, they addressed the need for a special teams ace at linebacker with the hope he could turn into a TED. The 49ers didn't miss on Scott McKillop, he will be on the roster for a long time. You can't call a mulligan on a player who could be the next Jeff Ulbrich.

I think the thumper running back crap is because Singletary doesn't care about a change of pace back. His plan is to run people over with Gore(big), Coffee(bigger), and Dixon(biggest). He doesn't need to run off tackle because his team imposes it's will on other teams by running three different plays up the gut. We are in for another season of crappy and predictable play-calling which may cost Singletary his job.

The 49ers missed last year on Bear Pascoe. He obviously didn't fit their philosophy since they kept Finley on the practice squad instead of him. You could call this a mulligan since they missed last year, but I don't see it as a mulligan because a late pick like that isn't expected to even make the roster.

FYI, projections don't mean s**t. No team in the NFL follows the CBS draft grades for players so your point is moot. Right now he is a sixth round pick who is will be forced to earn a roster spot. I love the pick and think he will be as good if not better than Coffee but the team wont give up on Coffee for another year or two.

McKillop was inserted into the starting lineup and was subsequently benched. If we had no intentions of starting him then why was he started at TED?

Quote:
Pitt linebacker Scott McKillop becomes the 49ers first fifth-rounder. As mentioned in the last blog, he's a tackling maniac who won't wow anyone in practice, but he's nearly 250 pounds and could be the perfect replacement for Takeo Spikes.

Quote:
Scott McKillop. 6-1, 244. The 49ers have been searching for two years for a future "Ted" linebacker to be the Robin to Willis' Batman. After finding McKillop in the fifth round of the draft, they could hardly contain themselves. Of all the team's draft picks - a list that includes Michael Crabtree, mind you - team officials were most jazzed about McKillop, perhaps because he projects as the perfect complement to Willis. I was on hand for all the Senior Bowl practices this year. A typical running play went something like this: Hand off to the back. Big pile after two yards. Players get up and McKillop is at the bottom with his arms around the runner's ankles.

The plan was to make him into a TED and after realizing he probably will just be depth at the position we had to redraft again to find a better prospect.

Nobody ever said anything about giving up on Coffee, just he fact that he may end up as the #3. Now you say, I love the pick and think he will be as good if not better than Coffee. Then you are in fact saying are 6th rounder may pan out better then our 3rd rounder....sounds like a draft whiff to me.

The reason I bring up draft grades is because you keep comparing round to round picks. If you don't want to talk about projections then don't bring up rounds.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
2009 49ers Draft
1 10 10 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
3 10 74 Glen Coffee RB Alabama
5 10 146 Scott McKillop ILB Pittsburgh
5 35 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State
6 11 184 Bear Pascoe TE Fresno State
7 10 219 Curtis Taylor S LSU
7 35 244 Ricky Jean-Francois DT LSU

2010 49ers Draft
1 11 11 Anthony Davis T Rutgers
1 17 17 Mike Iupati G Idaho
2 17 49 Taylor Mays S USC
3 27 91 Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State
6 4 173 Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State
6 13 182 Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh
6 37 206 Kyle Williams WR Arizona State
7 17 224 Phillip Adams CB South Carolina State

Going back and looking at last years draft, I noticed we just drafted the same 5 positions again. Granted, Crabtree and Williams are 2 different kids that bring opposite skill sets to the team so the difference is apparent. But Coffee-Dixon, Pascoe-Byham, McKillop-Bowman, and (like the Crabtree-Willams differences) Taylor-Mays (that was on accident). I find it a little odd that we had to seriously redraft 3 positions again. Obviously I could be reading too much into it but does this mean we whiffed on those picks last year? Looking at a McCloughan draft vs a Baalke draft I hope for our sake we didn't just set ourselves up again for another redraft in the near future. I love this years draft class but I loved last years as well!!!

? really

I think the bold is true

completely different draft

Mckillop is an ILB while Bowman is an OLB that's a big difference in a 3-4 D McKillop is a tackler not a guy who can drop and cover like Bowman

McKillop was a 5th round guy meaning he was prob the highest guy on their board at the time and took him you expect 5th rounders like that to be special team guys that work their way up.

Bowman is a 3rd round guy who they will break in and hope to use on 3rd downs rushing the passer type situations

IMO this is not the same position and both players are used far too different to say one will take the place of another.

You can't expect 6-7 round guys to make the team and be impact players they are just filling a spot and you hope to get lucky and find a good player but it's not like they are drafting guys to fill needed positions that's what the early rounds are for.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
2009 49ers Draft

2010 49ers Draft

Going back and looking at last years draft, I noticed we just drafted the same 5 positions again. Granted, Crabtree and Williams are 2 different kids that bring opposite skill sets to the team so the difference is apparent. But Coffee-Dixon, Pascoe-Byham, McKillop-Bowman, and (like the Crabtree-Willams differences) Taylor-Mays (that was on accident). I find it a little odd that we had to seriously redraft 3 positions again. Obviously I could be reading too much into it but does this mean we whiffed on those picks last year? Looking at a McCloughan draft vs a Baalke draft I hope for our sake we didn't just set ourselves up again for another redraft in the near future. I love this years draft class but I loved last years as well!!!

? really

I think the bold is true

Mckillop is an ILB while Bowman is an OLB that's a big difference in a 3-4 D McKillop is a tackler not a guy who can drop and cover like Bowman

McKillop was a 5th round guy meaning he was prob the highest guy on their board at the time and took him you expect 5th rounders like that to be special team guys that work their way up.

Bowman is a 3rd round guy who they will break in and hope to use on 3rd downs rushing the passer type situations

IMO this is not the same position and both players are used far too different to say one will take the place of another.

You can't expect 6-7 round guys to make the team and be impact players they are just filling a spot and you hope to get lucky and find a good player but it's not like they are drafting guys to fill needed positions that's what the early rounds are for.

Sing has said that Bowman will play both ILB positions.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by valrod33:
2009 49ers Draft

2010 49ers Draft

? really

I think the bold is true

interesting I'm sure they will try him at all LB positions but he's still physically a totally different player

the thread doesn't really make any sense being how he's comparing later round talent with staring talent at the same positions
2009 49ers Draft

2010 49ers Draft

? really

I think the bold is true

interesting I'm sure they will try him at all LB positions but he's still physically a totally different player

the thread doesn't really make any sense being how he's comparing later round talent with staring talent at the same positions

i agree with this thread not making sense.

oh and i finally saw those pms you sent NICE
2009 49ers Draft

2010 49ers Draft

? really

I think the bold is true

Where is the confusion? We drafted Bowman because McKillop hasn't solidified himself as our future TED.
Share 49ersWebzone