There are 295 users in the forums

******* 49ers Draft Grade so far (Vote) *******

******* 49ers Draft Grade so far (Vote) *******

Originally posted by NinersFo6:
I gave it a B because we got Mays or I would have given them a C

• jrg
  • Veteran
A

Anthony Davis was a good pick and hopefully will be a great OL, but losing a 4th for him wasn't necessary.

Mike Iupati was an even better pick..great to see us making our weakness now a strength with two HUGE OL.

Taylor Mays may be my favorite pick..he was a guy I was expecting to grab at #17 overall..just a huge physical safety.

Navarro Bowman just reminds me of Patrick Willis..all over the field..tons of intensity..leaves his heart on the field.

A draft so far..potentially the best in the NFL so far.
Originally posted by 49ers18:
I give it an A+

I don't care what we do in the last day....we picked up two great lineman to improve the weakest part of our team...then on the 2nd day we pick up Mays to be out SS and be that intimidating force in the defensive backfield that all great teams have.

No WR is going to want to go over the middle on us with Mays sitting back there...and you think anyone is going to run him over if they get by P Willie....Hell No!

I love this draft and cant wait for the season to start

Who is the intimidator for the Saints? Colts? Ravens? Mays is OVERRATED across this board, he was a poor tackler at USC in the open field and is known for just going for the big hit. Turnovers have a bigger impact than a couple of big hits. We need a safety that can actually play the ball. I give it a B, could've been better if we drafted a Safety who actually played the position in college
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I gave it an F, too many reaches, not enough immediate help for a team that THINKS it can make the play offs. This is a coach killing draft. We filled needs at O-line that we could have filled through free agency with guys who MIGHT be ready. We appear to have loaded up with talent to run the most boring Singletary run run punt offense ever, great more predictable play calling coming soon! Bad draft bad direction bad coaching bad ownership, the only thing this team has going for it is us die hard fans!

We filled the needs Mel Kiper and all the media whores said we should! That spells trouble.

We still lack speed on both sides of the ball at way too many positions!
We still lack a RB that spreads the defense
We still lack a speed Wide out Ted Ginn really is a kick returner, thats all.
We are still one D-linemen short of having 3 starter for our 3-4
We still lack a pure pass rush OLB
We still lack a speed CB
But we have to frickin awesome prospects at O-line!

Hope I am way wrong, even if I am not I will still root for my beloved Niners!

I agree with some of your points that we need more speed on offense and more secondary players that excel in space.

But I still give the draft a B, we needed O-Line badly and still have nice weapons for Alex, now hes protected.

Mays had a sick 40 time but Im not sure how hed do defending the pass and playing in the open field.

We will see ... solid draft so far though.
I gave it an F, too many reaches, not enough immediate help for a team that THINKS it can make the play offs. This is a coach killing draft. We filled needs at O-line that we could have filled through free agency with guys who MIGHT be ready. We appear to have loaded up with talent to run the most boring Singletary run run punt offense ever, great more predictable play calling coming soon! Bad draft bad direction bad coaching bad ownership, the only thing this team has going for it is us die hard fans!

We filled the needs Mel Kiper and all the media whores said we should! That spells trouble.

We still lack a speed CB

lol
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This draft is an A. If you would have told me before the draft we get this I would have been thrilled.

1A) Anthony Davis
1B) Mike Iupati
2) Taylor Mays
3) Navarro Bowman

5th Rounder) Ted Ginn Jr.

This is a great draft. The 2 O linemen can start from day one. Mays is underrated on this board IMO and can still turn out great. Bowman is a stud. We get a real good guy for our KR/PR game and a from time to time deep threat.

If we get nothing else this draft is phenomenal.

Who needs Scot M?....

Great draft. Have to give Scot some credit: the deal for Carolina's pick allowed the Niners to get Iupati. That worked out really well.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This draft is an A. If you would have told me before the draft we get this I would have been thrilled.

1A) Anthony Davis
1B) Mike Iupati
2) Taylor Mays
3) Navarro Bowman

5th Rounder) Ted Ginn Jr.

This is a great draft. The 2 O linemen can start from day one. Mays is underrated on this board IMO and can still turn out great. Bowman is a stud. We get a real good guy for our KR/PR game and a from time to time deep threat.

If we get nothing else this draft is phenomenal.

Who needs Scot M?....

Great draft. Have to give Scot some credit: the deal for Carolina's pick allowed the Niners to get Iupati. That worked out really well.

Scot was around for 80-85% of the draft process so I'm pretty sure his footprint is on this draft as much as Baalke's is. I'm sad Scot is gone but Baalke is showing he will make a very good GM.
Originally posted by jrg:
A

Anthony Davis was a good pick and hopefully will be a great OL, but losing a 4th for him wasn't necessary. Good physical skills, but most critics of him say poor work ethic, doesn't "love" the game

Mike Iupati was an even better pick..great to see us making our weakness now a strength with two HUGE OL. Huge fast, poor footwork and a major tendency to hold, Kwame Harris anyone?

Taylor Mays may be my favorite pick..he was a guy I was expecting to grab at #17 overall..just a huge physical safety. Like this pick, we need safety help, and Mays brings speed and anger!

Navarro Bowman just reminds me of Patrick Willis..all over the field..tons of intensity..leaves his heart on the field. A faster Scott Mckillop? I guess we can cut one of last years mistakes! I only hope we find a RB so we can dump Coffee!

I give it an F
Every player we selected, might have the highest ceiling in the draft at their respective positions.

At worst, both our first rounders will be good, at best, they can both easily be All-Pro's, and maybe even better. I simply can't imagine how Iupati will not end up an All-Pro guard.

With Mays and Bowman, we swung for the fences again for players with a high ceiling; although they also have a low floor.
Chances are, one of them busts and one is a home run. I like that kind of strategy for us. We are not as desperate for "safe" picks at OLB/LB or DB as some seem to think.
At worst, they could both be complete busts, at best they could be very good or even All-Pro's.

There is a good chance we end up with 3 "home runs" from the first 2 days of this draft. What more could you ask for?
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by dman:

We still lack a speed CB

I agree with some of your points that we need more speed on offense and more secondary players that excel in space.

But I still give the draft a B, we needed O-Line badly and still have nice weapons for Alex, now hes protected.

Mays had a sick 40 time but Im not sure how hed do defending the pass and playing in the open field.

Meh, if you like Vanilla, it's okay, I just think we could have done more.

Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by 49ers18:
I give it an A+

I don't care what we do in the last day....we picked up two great lineman to improve the weakest part of our team...then on the 2nd day we pick up Mays to be out SS and be that intimidating force in the defensive backfield that all great teams have.

No WR is going to want to go over the middle on us with Mays sitting back there...and you think anyone is going to run him over if they get by P Willie....Hell No!

I love this draft and cant wait for the season to start

Who is the intimidator for the Saints? Colts? Ravens? Mays is OVERRATED across this board, he was a poor tackler at USC in the open field and is known for just going for the big hit. Turnovers have a bigger impact than a couple of big hits. We need a safety that can actually play the ball. I give it a B, could've been better if we drafted a Safety who actually played the position in college

Well you know what Debbie Downer. You don't get to hang from May's nut sack when he tears it up. Or when he lights up the WR's in the NFC West!

So if I see you swinging from the ol' scrot, you will get called out brother!

Naw, just kidding man. There is plenty of room on this bus. When you are ready to get on, just let me know. I have a seat waiting for all the haters.
Originally posted by jrg:
A

Anthony Davis was a good pick and hopefully will be a great OL, but losing a 4th for him wasn't necessary. Good physical skills, but most critics of him say poor work ethic, doesn't "love" the game

Mike Iupati was an even better pick..great to see us making our weakness now a strength with two HUGE OL. Huge fast, poor footwork and a major tendency to hold, Kwame Harris anyone?

Taylor Mays may be my favorite pick..he was a guy I was expecting to grab at #17 overall..just a huge physical safety. Like this pick, we need safety help, and Mays brings speed and anger!

Navarro Bowman just reminds me of Patrick Willis..all over the field..tons of intensity..leaves his heart on the field. A faster Scott Mckillop? I guess we can cut one of last years mistakes! I only hope we find a RB so we can dump Coffee!

I give it an F

F for Fhysical
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
I gave it a B because we got Mays or I would have given them a C

lol so ur not happy with our first round? That is the best part of our draft

With 2 first rd picks, I would have expected them to get at least 1 playmaker. Dez Bryant was sitting there waiting to be picked and we decided to get a guard. Don't get me wrong, Iupati is going to be a good football player, but he is not going to change the way defenses will defend us. You pair Bryant up with Crabtree and you got the best WR duo in the NFC west. No more can defenses bring 8 in the box with fear that those two guys will beat you. I like Josh Morgan, but he is not a threating #2 receiver and if I think it, the rest of the NFL does to. The reason why our OL struggled was because of our predictable play calling and the lack of depth at the WR position. You do the math, 5 cannot block 8 on a consitent basis. My feeling is that we just drafted 2 new OL in the first round and have put them in a gun fight carrying rocks. Until we add one more playmaker on offense we are doomed in the OL. That is just my opion and I hope I am wrong!

We still lack a speed CB

I hate idiots likeyou....I really do
Originally posted by dman:

We still lack a speed CB

Meh, if you like Vanilla, it's okay, I just think we could have done more.

Vanilla. Pounding the ball is vanillia? Then it opens the secondary up for Crabs and VD- Maybe throw a little Ginn in to really streach the secondary - I will take this vanilla because it comes with toppings!
Share 49ersWebzone