Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Simple, give us your straight up prediction on the 49ers 1st round picks. I'll kick it off!

13. C. Brown OT USC
17. M. Pouncey C Florida

That would work for me. Then go CB in the 2nd, NT in the 3rd...

Charles Brown is a bigggggggggg reach at 13. Trade down if your going to get an OT. WOWWWWWWWWW

Says who?

Says anyone who has watched Charles Brown! Do you know if we slect Charles Brown a potential 20-32 pick in this draft, we will be missing out on great DB,OLB/DE, WR, prospects!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate your opinion, but let's check back tomorrow on this and see how high Brown actually goes (he's been rising up the draft boards as people see how athletic he really is). I'll bet good money he doesn't get past the Seahawks at #14 if they don't choose a LT early on.

If I'm wrong, I promise to give you full credit!

I respect your belief and opinion. We all know their is no right or wrong in the night before the NFL Draft. I just personally dont believe he is worthy of that high of a selection. Id rather trade back into the later part of the first round and get a comparable OT to Brown.

But ok we shall see

Williams and Okung will be gone, and it's likely that Bulaga and Davis will be gone by #13 as well. Now, if Seattle takes a LT at #6, I think we can pick someone else at #13 and be ok...we could still grab Brown at #17. But if those first 4 are gone, I don't see anyone comparable.

Btw, I mentioned this elsewhere...if we got Brown, we could move Staley to RT (fixes that problem), and start Sims at LT (he played well there last year) while Brown learns the ropes before he takes over at LT. That allows us to start veterans at both tackle spots while our rookie OT learns the playbook. Grabbing a pure RT prospect and plugging them in as a starter is more risky than people really understand.

So Trent Baalke wants to leave this draft with 4 starters, and your telling me we will draft a first rounder and let him sit on the bench???
That goes against his thought process for this draft.

He said, "eventual starters," not necessarily guys that come in on day one (expecting 4 immediate starters out of any draft is completely unrealistic). Brown will eventually start regardless of where he's drafted, but there's no harm in starting a vet in the last year of his deal who performed well in that spot while the rookie learns.

No he wants 3-4 Starters.. his words! Most likely a : S,CB,OT,OG!

"When you're drafting in the first three rounds, you're hoping to get a starter. .... Now does that mean they're going to start Day 1? No. But when you're drafting a guy in rounds 1-3, you're hoping at some point within their career that they're going to develop into a starter... Trent Baalke, 4/15/10

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/baalke-open-to.html#ixzz0loPbY2tD

So why would we take Brown at pick 13? When we need immediate offensive line help now???? If he isnt going to start this year, than why not draft a Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham...who can help this yearrrrrrrr?

Because Brown is a pure LT prospect, more so than even Joe Staley (who is/was more effective as a RT)...not to mention, Sims isn't a long-term answer. He's a band-aid, whereas a guy like Brown could be a LT for the next 10 years.

Now, if a guy like Bryan Bulaga or Anthony Davis is around at #13, and agree that you go in that direction and plug them in at RT. It won't be as smooth with a rookie RT, but it will likely eventually smooth out.

However, a guy like Brown gives us the flexibility to start veterans at both tackle spots early on. I'm just looking at other options as opposed to rigidly looking at plugging in a rookie RT.

Yes, but if your telling me we are going to start the 2010 NFL SEASON with the same exact offensive line as the 2009 season..... ???????? Whats the point of taking a tackle in ROUND 1, If he wont hit the field. The point of emphasis is to win now...isnt it? So why draft a tackle and not play him...??? makes absolutely no sense... your going to pay 3-5 million for him to sit????? DOUBT ITTTTT!

I can only explain it so many times, bro. If you don't get what I'm saying, then there's no point in going back and forth. It's not the same line...Staley was out most of last year, meaning Sims took over at LT (and played well). The main issue was at RT, and that would be covered by Staley.

It also doesn't mean Brown would sit the entire year...he would eventually start (maybe even after the bye), but we would have the luxury of having a veteran (Sims) who actually knows the system start out on the left side, while the rookie gets a chance to learn.

If you think sitting for his first 5-7 games of a likely 5 year contract is a huge deal, then so be it.
13. Anthony Davis.
17. Brandon Graham.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
13. Anthony Davis.
17. Brandon Graham.

Now thats a draft i could live with
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Simple, give us your straight up prediction on the 49ers 1st round picks. I'll kick it off!

13. C. Brown OT USC
17. M. Pouncey C Florida

That would work for me. Then go CB in the 2nd, NT in the 3rd...

Charles Brown is a bigggggggggg reach at 13. Trade down if your going to get an OT. WOWWWWWWWWW

Says who?

Says anyone who has watched Charles Brown! Do you know if we slect Charles Brown a potential 20-32 pick in this draft, we will be missing out on great DB,OLB/DE, WR, prospects!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate your opinion, but let's check back tomorrow on this and see how high Brown actually goes (he's been rising up the draft boards as people see how athletic he really is). I'll bet good money he doesn't get past the Seahawks at #14 if they don't choose a LT early on.

If I'm wrong, I promise to give you full credit!

I respect your belief and opinion. We all know their is no right or wrong in the night before the NFL Draft. I just personally dont believe he is worthy of that high of a selection. Id rather trade back into the later part of the first round and get a comparable OT to Brown.

But ok we shall see

Williams and Okung will be gone, and it's likely that Bulaga and Davis will be gone by #13 as well. Now, if Seattle takes a LT at #6, I think we can pick someone else at #13 and be ok...we could still grab Brown at #17. But if those first 4 are gone, I don't see anyone comparable.

Btw, I mentioned this elsewhere...if we got Brown, we could move Staley to RT (fixes that problem), and start Sims at LT (he played well there last year) while Brown learns the ropes before he takes over at LT. That allows us to start veterans at both tackle spots while our rookie OT learns the playbook. Grabbing a pure RT prospect and plugging them in as a starter is more risky than people really understand.

So Trent Baalke wants to leave this draft with 4 starters, and your telling me we will draft a first rounder and let him sit on the bench???
That goes against his thought process for this draft.

He said, "eventual starters," not necessarily guys that come in on day one (expecting 4 immediate starters out of any draft is completely unrealistic). Brown will eventually start regardless of where he's drafted, but there's no harm in starting a vet in the last year of his deal who performed well in that spot while the rookie learns.

No he wants 3-4 Starters.. his words! Most likely a : S,CB,OT,OG!

"When you're drafting in the first three rounds, you're hoping to get a starter. .... Now does that mean they're going to start Day 1? No. But when you're drafting a guy in rounds 1-3, you're hoping at some point within their career that they're going to develop into a starter... Trent Baalke, 4/15/10

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/04/baalke-open-to.html#ixzz0loPbY2tD

So why would we take Brown at pick 13? When we need immediate offensive line help now???? If he isnt going to start this year, than why not draft a Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham...who can help this yearrrrrrrr?

Because Brown is a pure LT prospect, more so than even Joe Staley (who is/was more effective as a RT)...not to mention, Sims isn't a long-term answer. He's a band-aid, whereas a guy like Brown could be a LT for the next 10 years.

Now, if a guy like Bryan Bulaga or Anthony Davis is around at #13, and agree that you go in that direction and plug them in at RT. It won't be as smooth with a rookie RT, but it will likely eventually smooth out.

However, a guy like Brown gives us the flexibility to start veterans at both tackle spots early on. I'm just looking at other options as opposed to rigidly looking at plugging in a rookie RT.

Yes, but if your telling me we are going to start the 2010 NFL SEASON with the same exact offensive line as the 2009 season..... ???????? Whats the point of taking a tackle in ROUND 1, If he wont hit the field. The point of emphasis is to win now...isnt it? So why draft a tackle and not play him...??? makes absolutely no sense... your going to pay 3-5 million for him to sit????? DOUBT ITTTTT!

I can only explain it so many times, bro. If you don't get what I'm saying, then there's no point in going back and forth. It's not the same line...Staley was out most of last year, meaning Sims took over at LT (and played well). The main issue was at RT, and that would be covered by Staley.

It also doesn't mean Brown would sit the entire year...he would eventually start (maybe even after the bye), but we would have the luxury of having a veteran (Sims) who actually knows the system start out on the left side, while the rookie gets a chance to learn.

If you think sitting for his first 5-7 games of a likely 5 year contract is a huge deal, then so be it.

I get what you're sayin, Ghost, and completely agree. It would be an excellent way to solve the OL problems (at least the RT problem) without sacrificing games while the rookie learns the ropes and adjusts to the speed of the NFL. When the rookie's ready (game 6 or 7 or whenever), you plug him in at LT w/o losing a beat. Great plan.

13 - Anthony Davis
17 - Joe Hadden
^^ Thanks, OND!

Many people on this board think you can just plug any rookie in and because he is a 1st rounder, everything will be fine...if you've been around as long as we have watching pro football, you know that's just not always the case. If you can plug in a functional veteran to ease the landing for a rookie, you do it. To me, Sims played well enough to earn the start at LT at least early on, which allows us to move Staley over to RT (which seems to be a better fit for his skills).
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
13. Dez Bryant WR
17. Charles Brown OT
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Bulaga
Iupati

Dream draft!

If things fell this way we could say goodbye to our O-line woes for a long time and say hello to a.........C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P!!!
  • PlayAction
  • Info N/A
I'd be VERY VERY happy for Niners to stay exactly where they are and choose
Spiller or Haden or Bulaga or Davis or Haden or Iupati (no qb's for me nor DBryant)

but from all I hear and read I would not be shocked they trade one of their picks...probably #13

for what and with whom I dont know
and for what player I don't know (nor have a reasonable guess)
maybe a future 2011 draft pick?

Go Niners!
playoffs again in 2010!!
Share 49ersWebzone