LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

LT Bulaga at 13, S Earl Thomas at 17

Mike Mayock and company have a "Spirited mock debate." They predict at #13 we take Bulaga, and at #17 we take Earl Thomas. What do you all think?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817a6411&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I wouldn't be too unhappy with these selections, but I'd much rather go with Iupati over Bulaga even though Iupati is not a tackle. I think Iupati will have a better overall career than Bulaga. This kid reminds me of a new generation Jesse Sapolu, except bigger, stronger and meaner.

I wouldn't mind Earl Thomas. Him and Goldston would make a good duo. Both are hard-hitting safeties. Hopefully we can get some more INTs with Thomas as well.

Regardless of who we end up drafting in the 1st round, I will be happy if we get one or two strong offensive linemen, Tackle or Guard. Or one quality lineman and a playmaker (either offense... Spiller.. or defense... Earl Thomas/Haden).

Go 49ers! I can smell the playoffs in 2010. Let's make this draft our best one!

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Apr 21, 2010 at 1:57 AM ]
I'd love that draft. Get our RT and then get our safety who can cover(which is important considering we play the Saints, Eagles, Falcons, and Cards next year). That draft would be aweeeeessssssooooooome.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I'd love that draft. Get our RT and then get our safety who can cover(which is important considering we play the Saints, Eagles, Falcons, and Cards next year). That draft would be aweeeeessssssooooooome.

Good point. Our secondary will need an upgrade. I'm sick of watching Michael Lewis and Mark Roman getting burnt by receivers down the field. Lewis is great in run support, but he's getting a little old to keep up with the young speedsters in the NFL. Not to mention he's about one concussion away from retiring.
Any of the top 4 OTs and Haden/Thomas in the first round = awesome.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Good point. Our secondary will need an upgrade. I'm sick of watching Michael Lewis and Mark Roman getting burnt by receivers down the field. Lewis is great in run support, but he's getting a little old to keep up with the young speedsters in the NFL. Not to mention he's about one concussion away from retiring.

Yeah. Basically we can put Lewis in on 1st down and 2nd and Thomas comes in to replace him on 3rd down. Or we can have Thomas be the nickle back and cover slot recievers. But it gives us flexibility.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Yeah. Basically we can put Lewis in on 1st down and 2nd and Thomas comes in to replace him on 3rd down. Or we can have Thomas be the nickle back and cover slot recievers. But it gives us flexibility.

That wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would also keep Lewis fresh throughout a game and lessen the chance of him torpedo-ing himself at ball-carriers ever so wrecklessly. But I'm not sure if they "spell" safeties like they do running backs in the league... Or at least I haven't seen it too often unless someone needs a blow.

Either way, we're going to have to replace Michael Lewis sooner than later, why not draft a guy now.

Just out of curiousity, would you prefer E. Thomas or Haden?
That would be cool. In Lindy's pre draft mag there is an iterview with Bulaga where he says he's a niner fan.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
That would be cool. In Lindy's pre draft mag there is an iterview with Bulaga where he says he's a niner fan.

That's always a good thing if a player is a fan of a team he gets drafted to. You would think he'd play his heart out and give it his all for the team. Let's see how things pan out.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

agree entirely there, this is exactly what I am hoping for (bar Berry dropping onto our laps). If there is one player in this draft I could have right now it would be Berry.

Also I did not Iupati in there, if I am right and he wasn't, you reckon we could move up in the 2nd to pick him? If so that would be incredbile, top 4 OT, Thomas and Iupati!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd take Davis over Bulaga, but I think it's a good pick.

Would rather have Iupati at #17
Originally posted by flynhayn15:

Agreed. And then Best or McCluster in the 2nd/3rd.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Marshal and Mooch
Love it! Great draft!
Share 49ersWebzone