LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

The TWO best Mock Draft's that would make us INSTANT CONTENDERS!

Two rookie offense lineman starting does not sit well with me
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Two rookie offense lineman starting does not sit well with me

The Jets did it with Dbrick&Mangold and im not about 2 search but im sure its been done before with other teams,not like Iupati&Brown are scrubs...I would say Iupati at LG being between LT Staley&C Heitmann hell be just fine and its not like Charles Brown is raw;he was in a pro style offense at USC and went up against great competition and is very experienced at the position being that I believe was a 3 year starter if im not mistaken.
I'm not sure Brown will last until the end of the 1st round. If we're gonna make that type of a trade, we better wait until we know for sure Brown's gonna be there.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I like both Haden and Iupati, but you're not being realistic. Haden would play nickel for us, which isn't really all that big of a deal (it's important, but not an "instant contender" type of position). As for Iupati, whatever you think of Baas, no rookie will just walk in the joint and start over him.

Not to mention, a guy like Iupati isn't really an ideal fit for Solari's zone-blocking approach. Not saying he would be horrible in it, but I don't see the logic in spending a mid-1st rounder on a guy who's a better fit for a man-blocking scheme. Someone more mobile (like Asamoah or even Pouncey) would be a much better fit than Iupati.

Its true that Solari incorporated more zone blocking in Seattle and I believe (based on comments Sing made about his offensive philosophy last year) that we will incorporate some zone blocking into our system, but I doubt we do much of a Denver impression. I don't believe we'll run enough of a zone blocking system, or that Iupati would struggle very much if we did. Basically, I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, Solari was the Chief's OL coach when they had the best OL in the league (under Vermeil). Those guys weren't particularly athletic, they were maulers in a power running system that made Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson household names. That's more like the system I believe he intends to put in place. Iupati fits that perfectly imo.
[ Edited by Overkill on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM ]
how the hell would you pay for 3 first round picks plus trying to resign players like vernon and willis
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by joey82:
Charles Brown will probably not make it out of the top 15, he almost certainly won't fall past 25. Taking him at 27 is being overly optimistic.

Okay...not if we trade with PHI. They pick #24 and there is rumors they want to trade up to snatch McClain/Thomas. IMO Charles Brown isnt a top 15 pick, I sure as hell wouldnt be happy with picking him at #17. Its like the Browns taking Jared Odrick at #7 just because hes a good DT...just wouldnt be wise.

Once again, I know it isnt likely at all for it to happen and I stated that if you read the post. What im asking is if it would make us contenders. Sorry that I dont have us taking CJ Spiller&Iupati.

Either way, thanks for the input so far guys. I really want 2 hear other peoples thoughts.

This isn't madden. You don't dictate where you draft, and moving all over the palce with trades here, there, and everywhere is a heck of a lot more difficult than you think.
I like both Haden and Iupati, but you're not being realistic. Haden would play nickel for us, which isn't really all that big of a deal (it's important, but not an "instant contender" type of position). As for Iupati, whatever you think of Baas, no rookie will just walk in the joint and start over him.

Not to mention, a guy like Iupati isn't really an ideal fit for Solari's zone-blocking approach. Not saying he would be horrible in it, but I don't see the logic in spending a mid-1st rounder on a guy who's a better fit for a man-blocking scheme. Someone more mobile (like Asamoah or even Pouncey) would be a much better fit than Iupati.

Au contraire, mon frere. Draft Iupati and trade Baas, moving up in the second round to 38 or 39 with Oakland or Cleveland. Select Kareem/Robinson CB or Jahvid Best RB.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I seriously can't even read that man... holy s**t I really tried and you have a bunch of caps and f**king ##s... settle down

I have trouble reading it as well
You can argue with me all you want,but please...give reasonable replies not ignorant hating 4 no reason. Truth is we dont have that many holes so I think these 2 scenarios would put us over the top.

#13-Joe Haden CB,FLA.(Instant depth,wont need to bring back Harris/Bly)
#17-Mike Iupati OG,Idaho.(Baas/Rachal go 2 the bench depending on TC battle)

**Trade**.#49#79#113 are traded-Dont flame me plz&just hear me out,according 2 draft value chart it gets us at the end of the 1st round. *Somewhere* at/near pick #27. Which leads to(Right below).....
1st rounder(VIA TRADE)-Charles Brown,OT USC.(Our Offense/OL is now complete) Why?(Simply see right below).....

Projected OL starters-LT-Staley,LG-Iupati,C-Heitmann,RG-Rachal/Baas,RT-Brown.
Bench- T-Sims/Snyder,G-Baas/Rachal(TC battle),C-Wallace. Cant beat that.

6th&7th-TC bodies.

F/A-Sign LaBoy for more OLB depth.

**--ALTERNATE DRAFT--**

**Trade*#13-Is traded.*Rumors* of DAL&PHI&some other dark horses are trying 2 trade up so we take the deal 4 their 1st&2nd since this draft is viewed really deep.

#17-Mike Iupati OG,Idaho.(Baas/Rachal go 2 the bench depending on TC battle)
#24/27(From PHI/DAL/Other)-Charles Brown OT,USC(Our Offense/OL is finally complete)
Why?(Simply see right below).....

Projected OL starters-LT-Staley,LG-Iupati,C-Heitmann,RG-Rachal/Baas,RT-Brown.
Bench- T-Sims/Snyder,G-Baas/Rachal(TC battle),C-Wallace. Cant beat that.

**Trade**#49&2nd(2nd is from PHI/DAL/OTHER)-Are both traded. To SD/NYJ.(A.J loves extra picks,NYJ trade away too many) for their 1st round pick which leads to(See right below).....
1st rounder(From SD/NYJ)-Taylor Mays SS,USC.(Instant SS starter,which adds speed to our secondary)

**Trade**#79#113-ARE BOTH TRADED. For late 2nd rounder which leads to(See right below).....
2nd rounder-Jerome Murhy/Awaki Owusu-Ansah CB's.(Gives us great CB depth.)

6th&7th-TC bodies.

F/A-Sign LaBoy for more OLB depth.

In my opinion-We dont have that many holes and either of these drafts would give us this.

A)A Complete Offense,not one whole and finally solidifies our OL.
B)Depending on A OR B Mock we come out of it with a DB stud.
C)KR/PR game is solved with Ginn,we get depth at OLB with Laboy.

Do I believe this is going 2 happen?..I doubt it,but trust me I am very knowledgeable of the NFL but truly believe these drafts would make us NFC contenders. TRIED to make it easy as possible...Either way, GO NINERS '10!

Why dont you write in plain English instead of code?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The worst part was when he had us selecting Taylor Mays in the alternate plan...

But trying to get a lower pick in the first round would not be bad when it comes to getting our RT. We are kind of in no man's land. Too low to get the top 4, too high to draft the next tier of OL.

Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I seriously can't even read that man... holy s**t I really tried and you have a bunch of caps and f**king ##s... settle down

Sorry man, I thought it would make it easier for people to see my points. Ill remove as many as possible. What do you think though,honestly?

meh.

I don't see a serviceable QB in this "scenario" anywhere....
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
how the hell would you pay for 3 first round picks plus trying to resign players like vernon and willis

Originally posted by Overkill:

Its true that Solari incorporated more zone blocking in Seattle and I believe (based on comments Sing made about his offensive philosophy last year) that we will incorporate some zone blocking into our system, but I doubt we do much of a Denver impression. I don't believe we'll run enough of a zone blocking system, or that Iupati would struggle very much if we did. Basically, I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, Solari was the Chief's OL coach when they had the best OL in the league (under Vermeil). Those guys weren't particularly athletic, they were maulers in a power running system that made Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson household names. That's more like the system I believe he intends to put in place. Iupati fits that perfectly imo.

Dick Vermeil would disagree with you:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2686868 (old story that needs to be cached).

"They dictate," Vermeil says. "That's true with any offense. If you don't have a good offensive line, you're not going to have a very good offense."

Vermeil should know. He coached Super Bowl teams in Philadelphia and St. Louis. The Rams won Super Bowl 34 due in large part to an offensive line anchored by Orlando Pace, one of the premier tackles in the league. But from one end to the other, Vermeil thinks the Chiefs' line has more athletic ability.

"They're talented, mobile, bright athletes," he says. "They're all big, and they can run.
They are unlimited in what you ask offensive linemen as a core group to do."

Now, it's true that Solari runs a bit of a hybrid ZBS, sort of a "power" zone blocking scheme that requires his guards to be a little bigger than say the Broncos lineman in the past (where some were 280-290lbs). But, they have to be both big and athletic to be effective in his scheme...Rachal is the perfect power ZBS guard, Baas is not. Iupati is probably ok for the Solari scheme, but he isn't the ideal fit. IMO, a guy like Asamoah is a better fit because of his size/mobility/athletic ability at the OG spot.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:

Dick Vermeil would disagree with you:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2686868 (old story that needs to be cached).

"They dictate," Vermeil says. "That's true with any offense. If you don't have a good offensive line, you're not going to have a very good offense."

Vermeil should know. He coached Super Bowl teams in Philadelphia and St. Louis. The Rams won Super Bowl 34 due in large part to an offensive line anchored by Orlando Pace, one of the premier tackles in the league. But from one end to the other, Vermeil thinks the Chiefs' line has more athletic ability.

"They're talented, mobile, bright athletes," he says. "They're all big, and they can run.
They are unlimited in what you ask offensive linemen as a core group to do."

Now, it's true that Solari runs a bit of a hybrid ZBS, sort of a "power" zone blocking scheme that requires his guards to be a little bigger than say the Broncos lineman in the past (where some were 280-290lbs). But, they have to be both big and athletic to be effective in his scheme...Rachal is the perfect power ZBS guard, Baas is not. Iupati is probably ok for the Solari scheme, but he isn't the ideal fit. IMO, a guy like Asamoah is a better fit because of his size/mobility/athletic ability at the OG spot.

I think you're reading too much into one sentence I wrote. My main point was the same one you made in your last paragraph. This isn't a pure zone blocking scheme - it calls for more power in the run game. I just meant we're not necessarily looking for pure zone type players.

Brian Waters is the prototypical Solari style OG. Had Brandon Albert stayed at OG, he would have been another. Iupati is in that class. Is he a highly mobile guy that relies primarily on technique? Not exactly, but (just like Waters) he's mobile enough that the limited zone style pulling and trapping he'd be asked to do under Solari shouldn't be much of a problem. jmho
[ Edited by Overkill on Apr 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone