LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

49ers | Could move up in draft

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Come on, who buys this crap? This late in the game any of these reports are smoke, plain and simple. We never heard one thing about Clausen until a week ago with Kawakami's "leaked" story.
The purpose here is to: force someone else to trade up for Clausen, pushing a better player down the board, and/or stop someone from trading in front of us for the last OT available, should one of the top 4 slip.
Having a new decision maker is a position of weakness other GMS will see and try to take advantage of. Putting out this type of smoke solidifies that (in their minds) and perhaps causes some to sleep on our FO. It could be brilliant. Now if we do end up taking Clausen then I take all of this back and will say we have the most incompetent FO in the league for putting this out there if it we true. It isn't.
Excellent MSPaint work!
I don't want to trade both first rounders for him...but what if he fell to us at 13....or even 17? I wouldn't mind taking him. How would you guys feel?

I mean look....

13. Joe Haden

17. Jimmy Clausen

49. Vladdimere Ducasse

that would be a SOLID draft in my opinion....would you guys really be that mad if we took clausen?
Quote:
JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers seriously considering Jimmy Clausen with its first-round picks. He might not drop past them at 17.
Just for the record, I think Clausen makes zero sense here. We have a chance to see what Alex can do with the same OC 2 years in a row. He has a 1 year contract. Why throw a wrench into it by drafting a QB? It ruins 2 QB's on your roster instantly. You ruin Smith because no matter how well he does, the future QB is waiting in the wings. And you ruin Nate Davis, because he will never get a chance if you pick another qb in a higher round. There will be QB's in next years draft, and by then these questions will be answered. If Alex does well, resign him. If he doesn't, you can pull him late this season and see if Davis can do anything.

I'm all for a Oline first round.

best OT available and Iupati
If this happens jed can go f**k himself. f**k Clausen, we have a chance to get 2 starters and we're going to trade up for him when he might fall to us at 17, and he won't even play for a year or 2? f**k THAT.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I guess I can live with Clausen at 13 and Davis at 17. I don't have much faith in Alex so getting Clausen maybe the best thing to do for the future.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
ugh, god, that would make me so f**king depressed.

I'd have no problem moving up for Okung or Berry, but not for Clausen. Give me a break.
Originally posted by mayo63:
You got to be kidding me. Jed is in love with Clausen? Great, we're in great position to get two good players and now Jed wants to trade away our picks for Clausen? Tell me this isn't true.

It all makes sense now:
-Jed is a Notre Dame Alum.
-ScottyMac had no intentions of drafting Clausen.
-Jed fired him and put Clausen at the top of the draft board.
I hope its all just posturing to try a find trade partners. I hope we trade down with one of the picks.
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM ]

Quote:
You can see how the concept is forming in the deep recesses of the 49ers’ war room, influenced, of course, by the knowledge that the owner very much wants Jimmy Clausen

I'm a little bit concerned that Jed is trying to recreate the glory years by getting a Notre Dame QB. I'm glad he's got roots to this teams history, but they don't need to live the past.

However, if the Niners view Clausen as a Pro-Bowl franchise QB, you have to grab that player. Also, if it was just the #13 and 17 I'd freak out. But if they are getting Cleveland or KC's 2nd, that's a high 2nd round pick. How much difference is there in value between #13/17 and #5 or 7 and a 2nd in this draft?

I'm assuming that the Niners don't believe any of the top OT's will fall to them at 13/17. So if that's the case, I'd rather trade down, grab Saffold, and build the teams around the QB to make them more successful. The last thing they need is to get another rookie QB killed behind a poor Oline.
It would be a breath of fresh air knowing that the organization has FINALLY realized that Axle Smith is NOT the answer.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
It would be a breath of fresh air knowing that the organization has FINALLY realized that Axle Smith is NOT the answer.

What if it cost us both first rounders?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Yah, Im so ready for the Alex Smith era to end.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I know there's alot of questions about Alex, but is Clausen the QB we want to give away picks for? I'd rather what till next year and take Locker or Luck if we want to go in another direction.
Share 49ersWebzone