There are 196 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NT Dan Williams visited the 49ers

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Dan-Williams-visited-the-49ers.html&team=149

I've heard that he could go as high at #5 to the Chiefs, #9 to Buffalo, or #11 to the Dolphins.

Niners will be sitting pretty at #13 if they have the #1 NT (Williams), #1 G (Iupati), #1 C (Pouncey), #1 CB (Haden), #1 WR (Bryant) all on the board.
I would be disappointed if we took Dan Williams. We essentially have a pro-bowl nosetackle and are looking at a draft that has depth at the position. Compound that with the Balmer fiasco and I will be if we take him.
I have a bad feeling we'll be drafting him in the sense that he wouldn't be an immediate contributor on this team. However in the long term, I think he's a pick that would make sense because half the league has gone to 34 defense and I don't think it's a given that we'll be able to retain Franklin beyond this year because of that.
I don't see how you could fell bad about getting the best NT in the draft. We need some one to backup Franklin
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
I would be disappointed if we took Dan Williams. We essentially have a pro-bowl nosetackle and are looking at a draft that has depth at the position. Compound that with the Balmer fiasco and I will be if we take him.

I agree. 1st, that's a lot of money to put into one position. 2, they can draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round to come in as depth and "grow" into that position as well.
Originally posted by znk916:
I have a bad feeling we'll be drafting him in the sense that he wouldn't be an immediate contributor on this team. However in the long term, I think he's a pick that would make sense because half the league has gone to 34 defense and I don't think it's a given that we'll be able to retain Franklin beyond this year because of that.

If Franklin doesn't sign his tender (holds out), then Williams would become an immediate contributor--starting at NT. Because the team has virtually no one else there. (RJF at 305 lbs.)
Originally posted by jta854:
I don't see how you could fell bad about getting the best NT in the draft. We need some one to backup Franklin

I would be if that happened too; the move would be designed purely to save $$$ on Franklin's contract - swapping a borderline pro-bowler for a rookie. Stupid.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I would be if that happened too; the move would be designed purely to save $$$ on Franklin's contract - swapping a borderline pro-bowler for a rookie. Stupid.

same here
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

If Franklin doesn't sign his tender (holds out), then Williams would become an immediate contributor--starting at NT. Because the team has virtually no one else there. (RJF at 305 lbs.)

Yeah but a rookie starting at NT isn't a good thing imo. Basically I'm just saying it's a fan-unfriendly pick in terms of the win-now mentality, but it might be the smart one for the long term.

edit: re: franklin, what if some jackass team like the Redskins comes in and offers him way more than he's worth? Like I said, half the league is running 34 defense now, and probably 10 of them could use upgrades at the NT position. Also we have a bunch of young studs we have to renew in a few years, Willis, VD, etc.
[ Edited by znk916 on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by jta854:

define: Opportunity Cost

If we plan to sign Franklin to a long term deal, then we're wasting the pick on a backup. We can draft a backup much later and put the pick to much better use elsewhere. *cough*OT*cough*
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

And this isn't just about money... should we over pay for a player who outplayed his size/position? Sorry but I'm still not sold on Franklin. One season - contract year - just doesn't convince me he's going to sustain that level of play. I would even have Williams compete with Ice who is soooo overpaid it's not funny. It's not about saving money but longterm producer. Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong and I know my opinion is in the minority here...but if the OT are off the board and there isn't a decent trade offer and Williams is still there, I would certainly pull the trigger. The problem with this team's recent drafting history is that it has drafted busts in the trenches. You can't sustain longterm success with that kind of trend.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This would be the classic BPA choice versus need. We could probably find some space on our line for him (hello SOAP), but it isn't a need for us right now. 2 years from now, we may be looking at it as a great pick. I am hoping that we don't have to make this choice, and that he is grabbed top 12, and we can focus on our needs instead.