There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rams Looking to Trade Down on the Cheap

As long as they didn't trade to the Seahawks, I would much rather play Clausen twice a year as compared to Bradford.
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Last night on NFLN there was a lot of discussion about the Rams trading down, that they are willing to scrap the horribly-outdated top of the draft value chart and move down a half-dozen spots or so.

According to the PFT article linked below, 'primary' candidates would be the 'skins (not likely), the 'hawks', and the Browns. If the Rams are willing to trade with a division rival, I could see Seattle sending both #1s to the Rams for Bradford. The Rams would take Clausen at #6, then take DE Derrick Morgan or an OT at #14. If Cleveland wanted to move up, they would have to 'sell the farm', as Holmgren put it -- Their #7, their 2nd rounder, and all three of their 3rd rounders.

If somebody ends up moving to #1 to take Bradford, it could have implications for the 49ers. For one, Clausen would be more likely to go in the top 10, which means that its less likely the Top 4 OTs would be gone by #13:

1 - SEA - Bradford
2 - DET - Suh
3 - TB - MCCoy
4 - WAS - Williams
5 - KC - Berry
6 - STL - Clausen
7 - CLE - Haden or Thomas or Spiller
8 - OAK - Okung or Davis
9 - BUF - Bulaga or Davis or Okung or Spiller
10- JAX - Thomas or Haden or Morgan
11- DEN - Bryant OR McClain
12- MIA - Dan Williams or Pierre-Paul
**13- SF - Davis or Bulaga or Okung

I know I've mentioned this way too many times, but it looks more and more likely that Okung will slip a few spots, possibly to OAK at #8. According to the draft value chart, even money for the #7 is the #13 and our 2nd rounder...I'm just sayin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/

FYI...Another point of view..Updated on "the Trade Value Chart"
http://www.nfldraft101.com/articles/407/Updating_the_NFL_Draft_Trade_Value_Chart.jsp

Thanks for the link -- I think it is much closer to reality at the top. For instance, the #1 pick is now worth 2/3rds as much as the #7, whereas before it was 2x as much.
Originally posted by wailers15:
TRADE UP FOR OKUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on that bandwagon. If he falls to #7, we can easily execute a trade w/ CLE.

Three trade options exist w/ CLE. Personally, I think its worth it because Okung is a franchise-caliber LT. I like Option #2, where we give them both 1st rounders for the #7 and the #38. From #38, we are still within striking distance to trade back up for a steal in the mid-20s. For instance, say Pouncey falls to #24 - #26...we can package the #38 with our 3rd rounder to move up -- and still have our #49 to take a Safety.

Option #1:

CLE Gets #13, #49
SF Gets #7

Option 2:

CLE Gets #13, #17
SF Gets #7, #38

Option 3:

CLE Gets #17, #49, #113
SF Gets #7
Also wanted to note, in 1995, the Panthers traded the 1st overall for the 5th overall and a 2nd rounder. So, you can't really go by the trade value chart in terms of valuing picks near the top of the draft.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners23:
Also wanted to note, in 1995, the Panthers traded the 1st overall for the 5th overall and a 2nd rounder. So, you can't really go by the trade value chart in terms of valuing picks near the top of the draft.

Yes -- and that is a bit high even with the linked new draft chart.
Update ** The Rams just traded Carriker away...possibly to make room fo Suh?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I wouldn't trade up for Okung. We don't need another LT. I would trade up for Berry. Let's face it, we don't have an elite OT in this draft. We just have a lot of teams that need OT. It might be worth trading up a couple of slots to get one of the top 4 OT, but I just don't see us trying to trade so high for a non-elite OT.
Update ** The Rams just traded Carriker away...possibly to make room fo Suh?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140749

i think they draft suh now, and as another poster said draft Mccoy in the 2nd or even Tebow
Originally posted by fryet:
I wouldn't trade up for Okung. We don't need another LT. I would trade up for Berry. Let's face it, we don't have an elite OT in this draft. We just have a lot of teams that need OT. It might be worth trading up a couple of slots to get one of the top 4 OT, but I just don't see us trying to trade so high for a non-elite OT.

He's not #1 pick-caliber -- not a Joe Thomas or a Jake Long, but he is as good or better than any of he OTs drafted last year.
Originally posted by fryet:

He's not #1 pick-caliber -- not a Joe Thomas or a Jake Long, but he is as good or better than any of he OTs drafted last year.

You got to remember we need a RT not LT so it's not a priority or need to trade up for. We can simply find a RT later in the round or wait for one to drop! The only player we should consider trading up for is Eric Berry if he drops. Chiefs are looking to trade down Rams as well and maybe even the Browns at 7. All Possibilities!
Originally posted by highway49:

Last night on NFLN there was a lot of discussion about the Rams trading down, that they are willing to scrap the horribly-outdated top of the draft value chart and move down a half-dozen spots or so.

According to the PFT article linked below, 'primary' candidates would be the 'skins (not likely), the 'hawks', and the Browns. If the Rams are willing to trade with a division rival, I could see Seattle sending both #1s to the Rams for Bradford. The Rams would take Clausen at #6, then take DE Derrick Morgan or an OT at #14. If Cleveland wanted to move up, they would have to 'sell the farm', as Holmgren put it -- Their #7, their 2nd rounder, and all three of their 3rd rounders.

If somebody ends up moving to #1 to take Bradford, it could have implications for the 49ers. For one, Clausen would be more likely to go in the top 10, which means that its less likely the Top 4 OTs would be gone by #13:

1 - SEA - Bradford
2 - DET - Suh
3 - TB - MCCoy
4 - WAS - Williams
5 - KC - Berry
6 - STL - Clausen
7 - CLE - Haden or Thomas or Spiller
8 - OAK - Okung or Davis
9 - BUF - Bulaga or Davis or Okung or Spiller
10- JAX - Thomas or Haden or Morgan
11- DEN - Bryant OR McClain
12- MIA - Dan Williams or Pierre-Paul
**13- SF - Davis or Bulaga or Okung

I know I've mentioned this way too many times, but it looks more and more likely that Okung will slip a few spots, possibly to OAK at #8. According to the draft value chart, even money for the #7 is the #13 and our 2nd rounder...I'm just sayin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/

FYI...Another point of view..Updated on "the Trade Value Chart"
http://www.nfldraft101.com/articles/407/Updating_the_NFL_Draft_Trade_Value_Chart.jsp

Thanks for the link -- I think it is much closer to reality at the top. For instance, the #1 pick is now worth 2/3rds as much as the #7, whereas before it was 2x as much.
Either "Chart" is still a tool not a rule...
i hope that trade happens sea wont take an OT one more that can fall to us
Originally posted by wailers15:
TRADE UP FOR OKUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on that bandwagon. If he falls to #7, we can easily execute a trade w/ CLE.

Three trade options exist w/ CLE. Personally, I think its worth it because Okung is a franchise-caliber LT. I like Option #2, where we give them both 1st rounders for the #7 and the #38. From #38, we are still within striking distance to trade back up for a steal in the mid-20s. For instance, say Pouncey falls to #24 - #26...we can package the #38 with our 3rd rounder to move up -- and still have our #49 to take a Safety.

Option #1:

CLE Gets #13, #49
SF Gets #7

Option 2:

CLE Gets #13, #17
SF Gets #7, #38

Option 3:

CLE Gets #17, #49, #113
SF Gets #7

I would do this for Okung OR Berry, depending on who is left.
Quote:
I think they could go all offense their first 3 picks. Something like: Clausen, Dez Bryant and Vladimir Ducasse as an example

That would be downright frightening. The Rams would get much better in a hurry.

Especially if they trade for DE Osi from the Giants!
the 2010 NFL draft is fast becoming a whirlwind of flying bulls**t.