There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Iupati vs. Pouncey

Iupati vs. Pouncey

If we end up taking two O-Linemen the First Round, are we better off taking Mike Iupati or Maurkice Pouncey? Say we've already taken Anthony Davis or Bulaga at 13, and management has decided we need to take another Offensive Lineman, which one would you take?

I would go with Pouncey because he can play all three interior positions and can play RT in a pinch. Pouncey also played against elite competition at Florida, and is well-experienced in the shotgun/spread offense. Furthermore, I envision the value of centers going up over the next five years due to the growth of the 3-4 defense (you need a badass C to counter a quality NT -- Pouncey lined up against Terrence Cody and Dan Williams in college many times). Pouncey is polished enough to start as a rookie at guard and cvan jump in at Center if Heitmann gets hurt...he may even be able to push him for his job. Pouncey (and his twin brother) are as polished as they come, winning a HS National Championship, getting tagged as a top recruit, and winning a national championship as a sophomore.

Iupati has more of an upside for playing tackle, although he's never played the position. He also played at a small school against inferior competition. Iupati cannot play center either.

The bottom line is that Pouncey is polished, has the pedigree, and can play center -- low ceiling. Iupati is VERY rough around the edges and may not be able to be a quality starter for 2 - 3 years, but could end up being a dominant RT.

But if we've already draft an OT at 13, why do we need somebody else to play tackle?
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Iupati vs. Pouncey

If we end up taking two O-Linemen the First Round, are we better off taking Mike Iupati or Maurkice Pouncey? Say we've already taken Anthony Davis or Bulaga at 13, and management has decided we need to take another Offensive Lineman, which one would you take?

I would go with Pouncey because he can play all three interior positions and can play RT in a pinch. Pouncey also played against elite competition at Florida, and is well-experienced in the shotgun/spread offense. Furthermore, I envision the value of centers going up over the next five years due to the growth of the 3-4 defense (you need a badass C to counter a quality NT -- Pouncey lined up against Terrence Cody and Dan Williams in college many times). Pouncey is polished enough to start as a rookie at guard and cvan jump in at Center if Heitmann gets hurt...he may even be able to push him for his job. Pouncey (and his twin brother) are as polished as they come, winning a HS National Championship, getting tagged as a top recruit, and winning a national championship as a sophomore.

Iupati has more of an upside for playing tackle, although he's never played the position. He also played at a small school against inferior competition. Iupati cannot play center either.

The bottom line is that Pouncey is polished, has the pedigree, and can play center -- low ceiling. Iupati is VERY rough around the edges and may not be able to be a quality starter for 2 - 3 years, but could end up being a dominant RT.

But if we've already draft an OT at 13, why do we need somebody to play guard?

Because we got KILLED up the middle last year on both rushing and pass protecting.
With how bad a shape the OL is in, i don't think it would be overkill adding 2 guys to the line. If we do draft 2 OL players and they were the highest rated guys i wouldn't have a problem with it
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
With how bad a shape the OL is in, i don't think it would be overkill adding 2 guys to the line. If we do draft 2 OL players and they were the highest rated guys i wouldn't have a problem with it

This. I'd prefer a OT/Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas combo then go with G in the 2nd or third but I'd be happy with either Iupati or Pouncey instead if that's the direction the team wants to go. I highly doubt there's a scenario I'd be upset with honestly. Hell I'd be fine with an OLB as well.

Just no Clausen or Mays and I'd probably be pretty stoked with however the first round plays out.
Both are really good prospects. Pouncey is a little more versatile as I think he can be a really good guard and an all-pro center. Iupati could play RT in a pinch but really he is a guard and I think he will be a dominant one. If we are finally ready to replace Heitman, I would have no problems with us taking Pouncey and I would have no problems if we took Iupati at 17 either.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Iupati vs. Pouncey

Because we got KILLED up the middle last year on both rushing and pass protecting.

Sorry -- that's a mistake -- should say 'But if we've already draft an OT at 13, why do we need somebody else to play tackle?'
Last night I was listening to the radio, can't remember if it was one of the draft people on Damon Bruce's podcasts, or one of the draft people on ESPN, but the basic gist of the statement is that the Niners really liked Iupati and did not like Pouncey. But by Thursday we will find out the reality of the situation.
Iupati vs. Pouncey

Sorry -- that's a mistake -- should say 'But if we've already draft an OT at 13, why do we need somebody else to play tackle?'

Fair enough. But we do need a guard. So let's not talk about changing Iupati's position
Originally posted by English:
Iupati vs. Pouncey

Fair enough. But we do need a guard. So let's not talk about changing Iupati's position

Right -- I think Iupati will be good guard, but the talk is using him as an OT -- and idea I don't like.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Last night I was listening to the radio, can't remember if it was one of the draft people on Damon Bruce's podcasts, or one of the draft people on ESPN, but the basic gist of the statement is that the Niners really liked Iupati and did not like Pouncey. But by Thursday we will find out the reality of the situation.

I think we like Iupati because he can play guard and tackle (supposedly).

Speaking of Pouncey, WalterFootball had him going at #11 to the Broncos yesterday -- he's since restored sanity and has Denver taking McClain.
I think based on what the coaches really want to do that Iupati is more their type of OG. Basically a mauler with attitude.

Can never forget Kevin Gogan's style of play, and alot of people are likening the upside of Iupati to Larry Allen. Plus, you've got Ray Brown coaching now.
I like grabbing one OL in each of the first two rounds. Like said above, I would love to see a Thomas/OL combo in the first
That's the problem, Iupati and Pouncey knock each other out.

Jon Asamoah plus Koa Misi or Best or Patrick Robinson etc. is better than either Iupati OR Pouncey.

(see NFL draft value chart).
Thanks for putting this up...I have been thinking the same thing and am in line with the OP. If we get an OT at 13 I would be more than okay with either of these guys at 17.

My preference would be for Pouncey due to his versatility. I like Heitman at center but it would be nice to have Pouncey for insurance now and to take over in a few years. In the meantime he can compete with Baas at the LG position.

Let's make it happen!
I think I'd rather see the Niners grab an OT at 13, a CB at 17, and a OG at 49.

But to answer the original question, I can see the appeal of Pouncey. It'd be nice to have an heir apparent to Heitman. But that would be basically giving up on Wallace. While that may be a legit move, it sucks that is a waste of pick.

Also, many of the "experts" stated that Pouncey wasn't as good as many of the OC's that came out last year.

I think I'd prefer to take a dominant LG which is a bigger area of need. Let Heitman hold down the OC spot for now and upgrade the OC spot later in the future.