LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

If We Draft Iupati at #17 ?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:
drafting a guard in the first round...............

dude he's a f**king beast! perfect for the run game & will learn the passing game tech's easily. can't pass it up. especially if we want to dominate the running game???????
gives me a hard on!

Exactly, I know Scotty Mac didnt think drafting a guard in the first round was a smart move, and ya wonder why we couldnt get the running game going? I've always disagreed with Scott on that issue, you need talent on the offensive line to dominate and this year we have a chance to fix the O-Line once and for all

I'm not sold on Iupati being a dominate guard, dude got his ass kicked at the Senior bowl. I'm just sold on him being a top a 20 talent.

When he played RG and RT he wasn't that good. When he played LG he was very good in the Sr. Bowl. However, someone needs to teach him not to "hold". He'll get called alot in the NFL for that.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Were you in favor of drafting a TE with the 6th overall pick?

Normally I wouldn't want to draft a guard in the first round either. But since we want to be a smash mouth team, I think we have to draft guards higher than is normal.

I don't like the niners scouts or GM's ability to evaluate gaurds. I don't want another Baas or Rachal, I would rather wait until later in the draft to get one. Also Iupati is not that dominate of a player to warrant that high of a pick.

I can't evaluate players, so I can't say that Iupati will succeed or fail. All I know is that the pick would not be viewed as a reach. Most mocks have him going to PIT at #18 anyway. I am more worried about picking another guard in the second round or later. Maybe they can supplant Baas or Rachal, but I wouldn't count on them being much better.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Fix the line, already.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
my dream first round is Davis-Iupati.

Same here.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Were you in favor of drafting a TE with the 6th overall pick?

Normally I wouldn't want to draft a guard in the first round either. But since we want to be a smash mouth team, I think we have to draft guards higher than is normal.

I don't like the niners scouts or GM's ability to evaluate gaurds. I don't want another Baas or Rachal, I would rather wait until later in the draft to get one. Also Iupati is not that dominate of a player to warrant that high of a pick.

Au contraire. He dominated during the Senior Bowl practices when left at his practices position of left guard. (Further, he has the footwork and speed to, with practice, play tackle.)
We can find playmakers in every round. We need to fix the Oline with the best talent they have with our two first round picks.

1st round
#13 A. Davis
#17 Iupati

2nd round
#49 Jahvid Best (Comparable to Spiller, very explosive, change of pace back, homerun hitter)

This would be a good start for the draft in my opinion.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
We can find playmakers in every round. We need to fix the Oline with the best talent they have with our two first round picks.

1st round
#13 A. Davis
#17 Iupati

2nd round
#49 Jahvid Best (Comparable to Spiller, very explosive, change of pace back, homerun hitter)

This would be a good start for the draft in my opinion.

this would make me very happy, although we do need a CB.
Share 49ersWebzone