There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If We Draft Iupati at #17 ?

The line needs to be fixed, and Iupati has big upside. But he isn't likely to start as a rookie. His technique is very raw - he holds rather than punches at this point. That means a LOT of penalties. Now I personally think that the draft should be more about the future as the present, so that in itself doesn't bother me too much. But the people that are asking for the instant fix on the o-line wouldn't likely be getting it.

I think people need to remember that we are tied to these players for several years, and we are not one or two players away from a championship. So picking for need, especially at a position that is not vital like guard would not be the best choice IMO.

Even if you do want to draft based on need, we need a RT far worse than we need a G, and again G is not nearly as important of a position as RT. I would not draft Iupati in any scenario unless we trade down or he is there at # 49. There are simply too many guys that are also great prospects that play more important positions that will be available at # 17.
Picking Iupati in the first round would allow the Niners to use Baas to trade up in the second round. No one else we could pick would make a starter expendable and trade-able.
I would be very happy if we pick Iupati at 17. I seem to remember our quarterbacks getting a lot of pressure up the middle. The entire line is important. If you have the opportunity to get a monster at any position take the monster. B.T.W. I would love to see two OL picks in the first round. But I would not be unhappy if we take Joe Haden at 13 either.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Picking Iupati in the first round would allow the Niners to use Baas to trade up in the second round. No one else we could pick would make a starter expendable and trade-able.

Paul Hofer was one of my favorite all-time 49ers. Nice to see that others remember him as well.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by susweel:
drafting a guard in the first round...............

dude he's a f**king beast! perfect for the run game & will learn the passing game tech's easily. can't pass it up. especially if we want to dominate the running game???????
gives me a hard on!

Exactly, I know Scotty Mac didnt think drafting a guard in the first round was a smart move, and ya wonder why we couldnt get the running game going? I've always disagreed with Scott on that issue, you need talent on the offensive line to dominate and this year we have a chance to fix the O-Line once and for all

I'm not sold on Iupati being a dominate guard, dude got his ass kicked at the Senior bowl. I'm just sold on him being a top a 20 talent.
my dream first round is Davis-Iupati.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:

dude he's a f**king beast! perfect for the run game & will learn the passing game tech's easily. can't pass it up. especially if we want to dominate the running game???????
gives me a hard on!

Exactly, I know Scotty Mac didnt think drafting a guard in the first round was a smart move, and ya wonder why we couldnt get the running game going? I've always disagreed with Scott on that issue, you need talent on the offensive line to dominate and this year we have a chance to fix the O-Line once and for all

I'm not sold on Iupati being a dominate guard, dude got his ass kicked at the Senior bowl. I'm just sold on him being a top a 20 talent.

I agree I like Pouncey better cause he's a better value to us than Iupati!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
my dream first round is Davis-Iupati.
Originally posted by bpg4980:
The line needs to be fixed, and Iupati has big upside. But he isn't likely to start as a rookie. His technique is very raw - he holds rather than punches at this point. That means a LOT of penalties. Now I personally think that the draft should be more about the future as the present, so that in itself doesn't bother me too much. But the people that are asking for the instant fix on the o-line wouldn't likely be getting it.

I think people need to remember that we are tied to these players for several years, and we are not one or two players away from a championship. So picking for need, especially at a position that is not vital like guard would not be the best choice IMO.

Even if you do want to draft based on need, we need a RT far worse than we need a G, and again G is not nearly as important of a position as RT. I would not draft Iupati in any scenario unless we trade down or he is there at # 49. There are simply too many guys that are also great prospects that play more important positions that will be available at # 17.

Totally disagree. Just to pick up one point. You make tackle far more of a need at starting position than guard. So Staley and Simms rank far lower, in your view, than Baas and Rachal?seriously, we have a year to develop our drafted tackle, but our need at guard, to replace Baas, is effective immediately.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by bpg4980:

Totally disagree. Just to pick up one point. You make tackle far more of a need at starting position than guard. So Staley and Simms rank far lower, in your view, than Baas and Rachal?seriously, we have a year to develop our drafted tackle, but our need at guard, to replace Baas, is effective immediately.

the fact is that we need both a RT and a LG for the long-term.

Were you in favor of drafting a TE with the 6th overall pick?
Originally posted by Schulzy:

No I was actually on the VD bandwagon. Although he was dissapointment his first couple of seasons.
  • fryet
  • Veteran

Normally I wouldn't want to draft a guard in the first round either. But since we want to be a smash mouth team, I think we have to draft guards higher than is normal.
Originally posted by fryet:

Normally I wouldn't want to draft a guard in the first round either. But since we want to be a smash mouth team, I think we have to draft guards higher than is normal.

I don't like the niners scouts or GM's ability to evaluate gaurds. I don't want another Baas or Rachal, I would rather wait until later in the draft to get one. Also Iupati is not that dominate of a player to warrant that high of a pick.
Originally posted by fryet:

I think a guard at 17 is perfectly reasonable. That's where Hutchinson was drafted.