There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB/S, Indiana (PA)

OTC, this one is for you! I figured this guy need his own thread.

Quote:
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB/S-Indiana (PA), 6-0 207 4.33
His name is a mouthful, his talent and skills are bountiful. Owusu-Ansah, a phenomenal player at the small-school level was easily one of the most feared players in his league. A dynamic performer who made starts at both corner and safety, Akwasi was a guy quarterbacks didn't dare to throw against; and when they did, they paid. The kid picked off 8 passes last season and this season, he had two over the course of the first two games before teams stopped throwing at him. Ansah has the makings of an excellent press cover corner because of his freakish combination of size, strength (21 reps of 225), and blinding speed. Ansah is not just a physical beast and a great cover corner, he's also a dazzling return man who ran back 5 for touchdowns last season (3 on punts, 2 on kickoffs). He's had at least one return touchdown each of the past three years, whether it be an interception return, a kickoff return, or punt return. The kid is a freak of nature, and a dangerous player in multiple facets of the game. His versatility mentioned earlier only increases his value further, and the 49ers, who need a player like Ansah would have to select him here if they want him at all. Ansah will not make it to our 3rd rounder.

CBSSports.com- Draft Profile

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Akwasi-Owusu-Ansah.php

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM ]
I could see Al Davis picking Owusu-Ansah in round 1, and throwing the draft into a turmoil. But if he doesn't pick him I hope we do.
[ Edited by Ninefan56 on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM ]
Best name in the draft!
He's a beast! Forget Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas. Can't tackle to save their lives.

McCourty and Ansah are way better specimens at CB.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
He's a beast! Forget Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas. Can't tackle to save their lives.

McCourty and Ansah are way better specimens at CB.

I haven't watched this kid but......

Run Support: Used primarily as a cover corner playing off the line, Owusu-Ansah did not often come up in run support. He will come off his man to chase down ballcarriers, though, taking good angles to prevent big plays. Has the size to be effective crashing down from the outside and generally disengages from receiver blocks, but physicality is still a question mark.

Tackling: Has the size and strength to limit yards after the catch. Has long, well-built arms to wrap up ballcarriers. Averaged roughly on tackle per game -- the ball didn't come his way often and he was not involved in many run plays. Heads toward the pile but often runs around it instead of entering the fracas. Needs to prove himself a secure tackler before teams consider moving him to safety.
Anyone knows what teams he's visited?
Looks talented, but he looked like he was playing against some joe shmoes on those highlights. Some of those balls he intercepted were just thrown up in the air to nobody. I do like his return skills, but I would like to see him against more talented opponents.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Looks like competition from my local junior college.
I never really watched him play, other than little clips like this above. He certainly looks like a good option for SF if he's available in the 3rd. A talented kid that can contribute a little as he develops behind the vet starters. He can also team up with Ginn to give a much needed spark to our return game.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
San Francisco would be a good landing spot for him as he wouldn't be expected to start for a couple years. He could come in and be a nickel or dime back while he learns the NFL game.
If he's there in the 3rd, make it happen.

But IDK, do people think he would last until then? I'm wondering if, say, we get Graham and Brown/Davis/any OT really, if it would be worth taking him in the 2nd? CB is definitely a need, and it wouldn't hurt to have more return speed...Or is that way too much of a reach?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

But IDK, do people think he would last until then? I'm wondering if, say, we get Graham and Brown/Davis/any OT really, if it would be worth taking him in the 2nd? CB is definitely a need, and it wouldn't hurt to have more return speed...Or is that way too much of a reach?

There are a bunch of CBs that have value from the late 1st through the 3rd rounds... yes, I believe AOA could be available for us with #79 overall.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

There are a bunch of CBs that have value from the late 1st through the 3rd rounds... yes, I believe AOA could be available for us with #79 overall.

cool. i'd much rather us take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, for some reason. I mean, if someone like Haden is the best guy on the board at 17 I guess thats cool, but I'd much rather get some combo of OT, OG, and OLB/passrusher in the 1st.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Looks talented, but he looked like he was playing against some joe shmoes on those highlights. Some of those balls he intercepted were just thrown up in the air to nobody. I do like his return skills, but I would like to see him against more talented opponents.

Just thinking that, there were some very suspect throws there. Having said that some of the returns were pretty damn good, though in the NFL he would never be able to break that many tackles. Would be nice to see some footage of him in coverage.

Might be worth a 3rd if we don't get Haden or Thomas
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I don't think he'd be there at #79, the lowest I see him going is to the Cowboys with their 2nd rounder. If we want him, we can either acquire an addition mid-2nd round pick, or use our #49.