LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Iupati Could Crash the Top Tackle Party

LINK

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2010 8:07 PM ET

It's widely assumed that four tackles will fly off the board on Thursday night. In alphabetical order (which should help us avoid a couple of e-mails from folks complaining about the manner in which their clients were listed), they are Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis, Russell Okung, and Trent Williams.

There's a chance that the top interior offensive lineman could be taken before each member of that quartet is picked.

Guard Michael Iupati, like Brendan Albert two years ago, could be moved to the outside at the next level. Per a league source, Iupati has taken 10 pre-draft visits. At the Scouting Combine, 22 of 32 teams interviewed him.

He has visited the Steelers, Dolphins, Chiefs, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Bengals, Vikings, Browns, Lions, and 49ers. Though not much usually can be read into pre-draft visits (but for the fact that teams like the Bengals almost always draft from the list of players who have come to town), the sheer volume of visits suggests a high degree of interest.

Iupati also has been worked out privately by the Browns, Eagles, and Jaguars. Teams rumored to be interested but trying to hide it are the Broncos, Raiders, and Giants.

It's a given that he'll be picked on Thursday night. The real question is whether he'll go in the top half -- and whether he may even go in the top ten.
Ooops, sorry guys! Wrong section
If he really could play RT I'd take him

maddog what say you?
The fact that Oakland is trying to hide interest is interesting. We know they are looking for an OT. Iupati is just as physically impressive as Bruce Campbell, who many posters think the Raiders are eyeing, but with more dominanace shown on the field. If the Raiders pick him that would mean another OT slides to us, possibly. I would love to take Iupati, but as a LG, not a RT. The team needs someone to lock down the position on day one, not a player making a position transition.
For us, he has to be able to start at RT from day 1 to be considered. Can he do it? I believe he can.

Of course, I feel the same about Williams, Davis, and for that matter Ducasse.
i dont think he can start day 1 at RT the senior bowl proved that however he can be a dominate G i would rather have him at G then T
i would love to draft him but not untill the 17th pick i want
haden or earl thomas at 13
...ah but the question remains... will he crash the pants party
I remember Balke said he wouldnt say what he thought of him and what position he thought he could play either.
He is a physical freak with a great work ethic. Imo one of the safest picks in the draft because worst comes to worst hes a very good guard for 10+ years. The Senior Bowl was the first time hes EVER played tackle. With a little coaching who knows what he can become and RT doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

Geez, not AGAIN.

It seems as if every single player this board has liked for the last 3 months has gone from a mid/late first rounder to a top ten pick. This is getting frustrating.

First CJ Spiller shot up, then Bulaga, then Trent Williams, then Charles Brown, now Iupati?

I want to get at least ONE of the top six lineman in the draft at 13.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
For us, he has to be able to start at RT from day 1 to be considered. Can he do it? I believe he can.

Don't agree. I would prefer a starting guard, replacing Baas, from day 1. Staley and Simms will surely start at tackle almost regardless of who we take. So we can take a guy who looks good but may need a few months work before you want him starting.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Don't agree. I would prefer a starting guard, replacing Baas, from day 1. Staley and Simms will surely start at tackle almost regardless of who we take. So we can take a guy who looks good but may need a few months work before you want him starting.

no bueno!!!!!
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by English:

no bueno!!!!!

simms played great last year man. i wouldnt have a problem with that if they replace baas with Iupati. most of our problems came from our interior line getting pushed into the QB's face. we need a guard and a tackle. if Iupati is there at 17 they will think hard about it, nothing wrong with taking a guy who looks to be a probowl calibur player for the next decade or so.
Interesting
Share 49ersWebzone