There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Wheels Fall Off the Spiller Bandwagon (And Possibly the Dez Express)

We were never going to take Spiller or Bryant.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Gore being injured = loses, having depth that can carry the load is still needed.

Jahvid Best in the 3rd round. I can see it happening. This gives you a home-run hitter at HB as well as a 2nd option in the return game and great value at that spot. I just think a HB at 13 is just TOO high for a position considered easy to fill anymore. And don't sleep on Coffee.

Gotta agree here. And with our 2nd rounder we need a DB or OG/OLB (depending on 1st round of course).

If we draft well for need, our team could be top 10 easy this year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
I really don't understand how some people are closing the door on CJ Spiller.

Ted Ginn won't be able to handle PR duties and he certainly will not provide the 9ers with lateral / speed threat in the backfield.

Cj Spiller will still bring depth at the RB position and an able body to return punts.

Alex Smith can utilize him with swing passes, etc.

Why won't he be able to handle Pr duties?

Because he's mainly a KR guy. The 2 skills are different.

Actually, he's a pretty good return many when allowed to focus on it and get into a rythm. When you return punts once in a blue moon, your average drops. If you return 4 - 6 punts a game, you get pretty good at it.
The Bandwagon will drive until he's off the board!!!
Hopefully, the Earl Thomas bandwagon is derailed soon too.

Ted Ginn won't be able to handle PR duties and he certainly will not provide the 9ers with lateral / speed threat in the backfield.

Cj Spiller will still bring depth at the RB position and an able body to return punts.

He was an amazing punt returner in college. He had 3 fumbles his first year in the NFL on PRs and they basically pulled him.

He might even be a better punt returner than kick returner.
Oh also, NO WAY we're taking Dez now. Spiller is still a possibility.

Never thought we would take either of them, though.
Hell no Gore still needs a breather GO SPILLER!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Gore being injured = loses, having depth that can carry the load is still needed.

Dude we would have beaten Minny if not for a Favre miracle.. with no Gore. We still don't know what Coffee has because like Gore, he had no holes last year. Everyone was on his nuts in the preseason when he had decent blocking, he's fine as a back up. So is it a back up you want or a change of pace, because you draft those guys in later rounds.
I wouldn't mind Spiller, but as someone else said, I don't think we were ever going to take him.
I never thought we'd draft Bryant...despite the growing claims we would. Spiller could still be in the equation, though...because there's still a need for speed in the backfield. And, if they did draft CJ, the opposition would have to pick their poison on KO's. More speed is never a bad thing.

I hope Haden's still on the board, though...he could push Clements this year...and potentially take over for him in 2011. CB is a critical position...and why not get the best guy. If he's not, and Spiller's either gone or our braintrust doesn't want to pull the trigger on him, then another appealing option is to get Davis and Iupati. Whatever else we do on offense will be predicated in large part to the success of our OL...so why not give it a jump-start with those two studs.

i wish i knew everything
Originally posted by kstolai:
Hell no Gore still needs a breather GO SPILLER!

1at round pick on a guy to give Gore a breather? With Coffee in place? Realistically, no. OT, OG, OLB, CB, S then NT.
IBTM
Originally posted by TX9R:

Dude we would have beaten Minny if not for a Favre miracle.. with no Gore. We still don't know what Coffee has because like Gore, he had no holes last year. Everyone was on his nuts in the preseason when he had decent blocking, he's fine as a back up. So is it a back up you want or a change of pace, because you draft those guys in later rounds.

Coffe isn't a game changer, I don't see that in him. I want a backup/change of pace RB that is always described as "has the ability to take it to the house every time". If by some God awful chance Gore goes down for 4-6 games and all we have is Coffee and MRob we will be screwed.