There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Wheels Fall Off the Spiller Bandwagon (And Possibly the Dez Express)

The Wheels Fall Off the Spiller Bandwagon (And Possibly the Dez Express)

Spillophiles are in mourning of the Ginn trade.

I think this is great news because we can now focus on our top three needs with our three Top 50 picks: Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, and Pass Rusher

But does this mean that Dez Bryant is no longer an option as well? I think it does, unless the 49ers have no interest in Ginn playing WR as well at KR/PR.

We could still draft Bryant and cut Brandon Jones. Bryant, Morgan, and Ginn would all have to compete for playing time. If Bryant emerges as a star, Morgan would be kicked inside and become a perma slot receiver.

What the trade will do to our draft board is almost assure that we take an OT and defensive back at 13 and 17. My Guess: Haden at 13 and Davis at 17.
its true, i was a spillerphile LOL!! but now we can go ot and earl thomas that would be my choice. honestly now i wouldnt mind what we do. i wont be mad at all unless we take a qb
I don't think the 49ers have any interest in spending a consecutive 1st round draft pick on a WR, especially considering how they feel about Josh Morgan. I never saw Bryant as an option.
Spiller possibly, but Bryant should be no where in mind
Gore being injured = loses, having depth that can carry the load is still needed.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Gore being injured = loses, having depth that can carry the load is still needed.

Jahvid Best in the 3rd round. I can see it happening. This gives you a home-run hitter at HB as well as a 2nd option in the return game and great value at that spot. I just think a HB at 13 is just TOO high for a position considered easy to fill anymore. And don't sleep on Coffee.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

Jahvid Best in the 3rd round. I can see it happening. This gives you a home-run hitter at HB as well as a 2nd option in the return game and great value at that spot. I just think a HB at 13 is just TOO high for a position considered easy to fill anymore. And don't sleep on Coffee.

I love Best but I don't even think he makes it to our 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

I love Best but I don't even think he makes it to our 2nd rounder.

Really? I just think his injury will scare teams off a round. It happens all the time.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I really don't understand how some people are closing the door on CJ Spiller.

Ted Ginn won't be able to handle PR duties and he certainly will not provide the 9ers with lateral / speed threat in the backfield.

Cj Spiller will still bring depth at the RB position and an able body to return punts.

Alex Smith can utilize him with swing passes, etc.
He may still be a possibility at #17, however I agree this does allow the niners more leverage to focus on other needs, depending on what players are available.
Someone is playing chess while others are playing checkers. It likely means that either he wont get past MIami or that the 9ers are giving an impresion that they hope will cause others to think that they are no longer targeting him. Regardless Ginn for a #5 s good value.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:55 PM ]
This will probably mean OT, OLB, FS and CB are the positions they are looking at now. Which isn't bad BTW. We addressed one need taking some pressure off that one and now we can move on to some other things. This can work out for the best.
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

Ted Ginn won't be able to handle PR duties and he certainly will not provide the 9ers with lateral / speed threat in the backfield.

Cj Spiller will still bring depth at the RB position and an able body to return punts.

Why won't he be able to handle Pr duties?

i dont think the niners are gonna draft Spiller especially with the Ginn trade. I dont rule out them getting Best or even Mccluster in the 2nd.

I really believe we will see an OT and Haden or even Earl Thomas drafted in the first round
Originally posted by lamontb:

Why won't he be able to handle Pr duties?

Because he's mainly a KR guy. The 2 skills are different.