There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

I'm up here in Seattle listening to John Clayton on 710 ESPN Radio. He is interviewing Matt Maiocco and the Clausen topic is certainly not going away. They are saying that since Baalke didn't draft Alex, he won't have have as much getting rid of him.

I can see both sides of the coin on this argument because I think CB and OT are a bigger need but I don't think Alex Smith is the long term answer either.

My odds on SF picking Clausen: At pick #13 - 40%. At #17 - 60%.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm up here in Seattle listening to John Clayton on 710 ESPN Radio. He is interviewing Matt Maiocco and the Clausen topic is certainly not going away. They are saying that since Baalke didn't draft Alex, he won't have have as much getting rid of him.

I can see both sides of the coin on this argument because I think CB and OT are a bigger need but I don't think Alex Smith is the long term answer either.

My odds on SF picking Clausen: At pick #13 - 40%. At #17 - 60%.

I listened to the same interview and I hadn't thought about the Baalke factor. Up until the the Ted Ginn trade, I always Baalke was just handling the draft and had no authority to make GM-like moves. But yesterday's trade, changed everything.

I still think Haden is at the top of their wishlist at #13 or one of the top 3 tackles.
[ Edited by DesiDez on Apr 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM ]
  • seanh
  • Veteran
I'm not completely opposed to it just for the simple fact that if Alex completely fails I still think we'll win just enough games to keep us out of the running for one of the top QBs in next years draft. A little competition never hurt anybody...even if we draft clausen it's not like alex won't be the starter going in to next year.
Originally posted by seanh:
I'm not completely opposed to it just for the simple fact that if Alex completely fails I still think we'll win just enough games to keep us out of the running for one of the top QBs in next years draft. A little competition never hurt anybody...even if we draft clausen it's not like alex won't be the starter going in to next year.

i have to disagree a little i dont think it would be the smart thing to do we are not the team that is just lacking a QB we have a bottom 5 OL in the nfl there is no sense in taking a QB without intention of him starting especially since our OL sucks and our QB isnt exactlyyu old we should do whatever we can to help alex now(get him a decent OL) and if he fails we get our QB next year who will have a good o line and good young targets

IMO that makes most sense helps us now and in the future
I don't see it...that'd give us 4 QB's and there's no way Singletary will carry that many. They signed Carr for a reason...to have an experienced b/u behind Alex. There's no way Coach opens the season with Alex, Davis and a rookie. Nate has too much upside to let go...I like his skills more than Clausen...and he already knows the offense. No, sorry, we need to focus on upgrading the OL, more speed in the backfield, upgrade of LDE, CB, and pass rush before we draft another QB.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Almost the same exact poll already exists here: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140260
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
oops well, now we can compare results!
I don´t think there´s much chance that Mike Sing will want Clausen. I like him as a player but as a person on the field i am very worried. He is the kind of person who blames other for interceptions, and that sort of things can win him many enemies quickly.
For what it's worth, John Clayton reiterated Clausen to the Niners #13. He also mentioned that Bulaga might slide a bit.

So if the Niners have a choice between Bulaga, Clausen or Earl Thomas (I think Haden will be gone), they have to grab Bulaga. What becomes interesting tho, is if Clausen is still there at #17.
Originally posted by susweel:
Hell yah I would.

We NEED a real QB.

& u think Clausen is the answer??? lol hell no.
All you guys on here who want Clausen are crazy!!! WTF! What will he bring to this team? Nothing! It would be the biggest mistake the niners make! We are in a great position to draft well! We have more pressing needs.

Alex Smith is the starter & he will have a good a damn good year this year. Contract year buttheads! He's been in the league. What if Smith tears it up this year & shows the potential that we've been waiting on?

f**k all that talk about Clausen playing in a pro style offense. He doesn't possess the tools IMO to be an elite QB. U can see it. He throws a s**tty deep ball. Man DB's will be all over him. He wont come in & start. f**k Mel Kiper & his ratings. He rates players on how he thinks the NFL should be ran. It's a f**king joke! (iceing on the cake was him saying addai will be a FB in this league. f**k KIPER)

O-Line is our main priority. If we can solidify an O-line then it will benifit Gore & Smith. It will make this team better. Think about it.

Drafting a QB like Clasuen, to sit in the wings? What is he going to come in & save the day? f**k no?

It would be stupid to not Draft an elite Tackle, a major position we need to fill. That's what we need to do with our #13 or trade it up & grab Okung or Williams. Then @ 17 maybe BPA or need! NEED!!!! This team is not far away from the playoffs drafting for need makes the most sense.

What if Derrick Morgan is there @ #13??????????

f**k CLAUSEN!!!
^
if we draft clausen i return my season tickets! f**k it i will sell them!