LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by ninertico:
More credible sources...
Leave it to good 'ol Tim

I personally would not be mad because I know the value of franchise QBs even if he's somewhere in the mid to late 20s as an average. Some grade him top 10 and some in the late 20's and even into the 30's. That's not good unlike Bradford who is a consensus top 10 pick at the least if not top five.

So why take a franchise QB with that kind of variance within the professional scouting circles? I honestly think that if he does make it to #13 AND the top 4 OTs are gone, we trade. However, I see not only Buffalo as a landing spot, but Jax and Den. Gerrard? Orton? Please. They are not the future. Clausen is.

Is Clausen anywhere getting the buzz like Sanchez last year? If so, he won't even make it to us.

What say you DraftZone.

No -- better off giving Smith one final year -- make or break. 2011 is going to be an amazing year for QBs...if smith fails we start over nextyaer at QB.

The strength of the 2011 QB class may be hurting Clausen's value...and McCoy's.

I think the problem with that thought is there's no guarantee that we'll be in position to draft one of the 2011 QB's. Even if Smith busts we're still a 7-9 team picking anywhere between 10-15. There's going to be plenty of suitors next year looking for a QB and with a rookie cap finally in place quarterbacks are going to be even more appealling.

I think that if Claussen is on the board and we have him graded to be a 93+ QB prospect we have to take him. That being said I'm not sure if he is.
I just don't get where you put Clausen? Are you going to carry 4 quarterbacks? Are you going to give up on N. Davis? Are you going to let Carr go and have 2 guys on your roster that have yet to make a throw in a regular season game?

Help me understand where you put him....
Originally posted by robduce42:
I just don't get where you put Clausen? Are you going to carry 4 quarterbacks? Are you going to give up on N. Davis? Are you going to let Carr go and have 2 guys on your roster that have yet to make a throw in a regular season game?

Help me understand where you put him....

Nate Davis would be cut homie. I'm not for or against them taking Clasuen, I just don't think they will though.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
I would still be worried about the "smallest hands" part?
i think we "leaked" the information that Claussen will not slip past us so any team who picks after us will know who they have to trade up with provided he falls to 13. i think it was a move to generate uncertainty and get some phone calls about the pick.
Originally posted by Niners99:
i think we "leaked" the information that Claussen will not slip past us so any team who picks after us will know who they have to trade up with provided he falls to 13. i think it was a move to generate uncertainty and get some phone calls about the pick.
I like Clausen, more than Bradford but man I don't know about US taking.
After watching Nate Davis in preseason games last year, it's pretty evident that he's got the arm and the field vision. He makes good reads/progressions and he doesn't get rattled. It'll be interesting to see how he responds after working out with McNabb this summer in Arizona. I'd prefer to continue bringing him along instead of introducing Clausen into the mix at this point. Davis is already a year along the path to eventually starting, but I think he's capable.

We've got better things to do with our two 1st round picks than spend one on another project QB...like get a starting-quality OT and another playmaker DB or pass-rusher.
where's the "F*ck No" option?
Originally posted by Yetiman:
After watching Nate Davis in preseason games last year, it's pretty evident that he's got the arm and the field vision. He makes good reads/progressions and he doesn't get rattled. It'll be interesting to see how he responds after working out with McNabb this summer in Arizona. I'd prefer to continue bringing him along instead of introducing Clausen into the mix at this point. Davis is already a year along the path to eventually starting, but I think he's capable.

We've got better things to do with our two 1st round picks than spend one on another project QB...like get a starting-quality OT and another playmaker DB or pass-rusher.

Hell no to Clausen!!
[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM ]

I am sorry, i must have been absent the day they passed out the memo that said QB is a strength of the team, I really need to work on my ability to blind homerism and the fact we have a good QB on the Roster. If Claussen is there at 13, we would be foolish not to even look at the idea. Some of you all act like we are set at QB and the cold hard truth is we are not.

How many chances have Alice Smith Had... What happens if he falls on his face or just mediocre. Are we really going to rely on a rookie in 2011 when we could have one already a year on the Roster, I am all for giving Alice one more shot but what if he maintains his bust status. We are screwed,

Nate Davis may or may not be good (we do not know how he will react in a real game )and David Carr is David Carr...

To say we do not need an upgrade at QB is hiding your heads in the sand... That is our number one problem. We have no QB. How many teams have won anything without a good not mediocre QB?

not many.

Yes we have a bad line but wven with a great line I do not see Alex Smith as a franchise QB

And if Claussen ends up being great and we passed on him *(like we did Rodgers) we will be wasting the talent we have at other posiitions and we will regret it
I say no there will be the same hype next year about another QB in the draft...

too bad we'll be picking 32nd
drafting a possible franchise quarterback is never a bad thing...get that straight.

i wouldnt hate it, i also wouldnt love it....

if something like 1st Clausen/Iupati and then 2nd Nate Allen/Major Wright happened ...i would definitely see that as a possibly considerably successful draft..

im still a bit more high on getting one of those top d-backs with those two first picks though, im plenty confident in smith
No.
RT @MEZTER: You really believe Claussen is a possibility for the Niners?> I don't see a rock solid spot for Clausen but I keep hearing SF

why does daniel jeremiah keep hearing about us

Share 49ersWebzone