LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
So in summary, here are my reasons why I wouldn't draft Clausen:

1. If the Smith experiment fails, then most likely we're going to be headed for a top 10 pick. At that position, we should be able to draft any of the top 2-3 QBs entering the draft next year.

2. While I'm not convinced about Nate Davis, if he has another solid preseason, he could make a believer out of me.

3. If Smith does pan out, we most likely won't receive equal compensation when the time comes to trade Clausen and we therefore have a negative return on the investment.

-9fA

I think you're wrong on point 1. The Smith expierment has failed for the past couple of seasons and we've been just barely good enough to play ourselves out of contention for a possible replacement.

If you look at next year there could be a slew of teams looking for a new QB. Cleveland, Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, Oakland, and by that time there might be a rookie cap making QB's all the more appealling. Even if Smith fails I don't think we're going to be in position to get the right guy just because our division sucks so bad and we can easily rack up 7 wins with JT O'Sullivan starting for us again.

Let me just say you have to look at Claussen. The QB position is way too valueable not to consider possible franchise guys. Personally I think he's a 2nd round type QB prospect so I wouldn't take him til then.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 11, 2010 at 11:22:23 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

1. If the Smith experiment fails, then most likely we're going to be headed for a top 10 pick. At that position, we should be able to draft any of the top 2-3 QBs entering the draft next year.

2. While I'm not convinced about Nate Davis, if he has another solid preseason, he could make a believer out of me.

3. If Smith does pan out, we most likely won't receive equal compensation when the time comes to trade Clausen and we therefore have a negative return on the investment.

-9fA

I think you're wrong on point 1. The Smith expierment has failed for the past couple of seasons and we've been just barely good enough to play ourselves out of contention for a possible replacement.

If you look at next year there could be a slew of teams looking for a new QB. Cleveland, Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, Oakland, and by that time there might be a rookie cap making QB's all the more appealling. Even if Smith fails I don't think we're going to be in position to get the right guy just because our division sucks so bad and we can easily rack up 7 wins with JT O'Sullivan starting for us again.

Let me just say you have to look at Claussen. The QB position is way too valueable not to consider possible franchise guys. Personally I think he's a 2nd round type QB prospect so I wouldn't take him til then.

While you may feel that Smith has failed here, it's obvious that the people in charge don't.

Your second point is interesting. I didn't think about it that way. But I doubt teams today are not drafting QBs because they're afraid to pony up. If that was the case, the Lions wouldn't have drafted Stafford 1st overall and the Jets wouldn't have traded up to draft Sanchez. However needs a QB, will draft a QB. Rookie scale or not.

I agree with your last point, you have to consider everybody who's available when it's your time to pick.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Apr 11, 2010 at 3:04 PM ]

-9fA

While you may feel that Smith has failed here, it's obvious that the people in charge don't.

Your second point is interesting. I didn't think about it that way. But I doubt teams today are not drafting QBs because they're afraid to pony up. If that was the case, the Lions wouldn't have drafted Stafford 1st overall and the Jets wouldn't have traded up to draft Sanchez. However needs a QB, will draft a QB. Rookie scale or not.

I agree with your last point, you have to consider everybody who's available when it's your time to pick.

-9fA

Think about this way. If you're already paying a Bulger or a Hassleback 10 million dollars are you really going to invest another 50 million into a QB. Make no mistake about St Louis would already have a QB if there was a rookie cap.

-9fA

-9fA

Has he ever had a winning season? What is his overall record?
Originally posted by ttime1:

-9fA

-9fA

Has he ever had a winning season? What is his overall record?

Didnt Alex Smith have a winning record last year and in 2007 before he got hurt he was 2-1. I know he hasnt had a full season season yet but Shaun Hill didnt either and look at the support he got.
It's not that absurd to think we would draft him. We are not set at QB. I like Alex better than many on the board. And he has improved a lot. He still may improve more in 2010. But at this point a legitimate backup plan may be a good idea. And Clausen is a drop back pro style offense QB who is ready for action. He may end up being the best QB in this draft. He's not to be under estimated.

I would be a little mad if we drafted him but I would understand why. And him possibly turning out would soften the blow.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's not that absurd to think we would draft him. We are not set at QB. I like Alex better than many on the board. And he has improved a lot. He still may improve more in 2010. But at this point a legitimate backup plan may be a good idea. And Clausen is a drop back pro style offense QB who is ready for action. He may end up being the best QB in this draft. He's not to be under estimated.

I would be a little mad if we drafted him but I would understand why. And him possibly turning out would soften the blow.

This
Think about this way. If you're already paying a Bulger or a Hassleback 10 million dollars are you really going to invest another 50 million into a QB. Make no mistake about St Louis would already have a QB if there was a rookie cap.

Good point. Although the Rams are probably not the best example considering that they just cut Bulger who is likely still on their payroll and are now seemingly ready to draft Bradford, you might have hurt yourself with your own argument there.

-9fA
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If he was there at #17 I probably would pull the trigger. Make him battle Carr and Davis for position, loser walks (Carr or Davis). If Smith fails keep him as a #2 QB, if he succeeds, keep Clausen on the bench till the time is right.
More credible sources...
Leave it to good 'ol Tim

I personally would not be mad because I know the value of franchise QBs even if he's somewhere in the mid to late 20s as an average. Some grade him top 10 and some in the late 20's and even into the 30's. That's not good unlike Bradford who is a consensus top 10 pick at the least if not top five.

So why take a franchise QB with that kind of variance within the professional scouting circles? I honestly think that if he does make it to #13 AND the top 4 OTs are gone, we trade. However, I see not only Buffalo as a landing spot, but Jax and Den. Gerrard? Orton? Please. They are not the future. Clausen is.

Is Clausen anywhere getting the buzz like Sanchez last year? If so, he won't even make it to us.

What say you DraftZone.
[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:20 AM ]

Originally posted by ninertico:
More credible sources...
Leave it to good 'ol Tim

I personally would not be mad because I know the value of franchise QBs even if he's somewhere in the mid to late 20s as an average. Some grade him top 10 and some in the late 20's and even into the 30's. That's not good unlike Bradford who is a consensus top 10 pick at the least if not top five.

So why take a franchise QB with that kind of variance within the professional scouting circles? I honestly think that if he does make it to #13 AND the top 4 OTs are gone, we trade. However, I see not only Buffalo as a landing spot, but Jax and Den. Gerrard? Orton? Please. They are not the future. Clausen is.

Is Clausen anywhere getting the buzz like Sanchez last year? If so, he won't even make it to us.

What say you DraftZone.

No -- better off giving Smith one final year -- make or break. 2011 is going to be an amazing year for QBs...if smith fails we start over nextyaer at QB.

The strength of the 2011 QB class may be hurting Clausen's value...and McCoy's.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Alex Smith did pretty well despite having one of the worse O-Lines in the league, let's give him and the rest of our offense some much needed upgrade at the trenches.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I hope he is there...and a team offers a lot to trade up to #13

I say no. If Smith turns out to be that bad this year, we'll probably be in position to draft one next year. Also, there may not be a football season next year. That means we'd have two drafts to try to get a QB before we play another season.

But I do like Clausen as a player.
Hell No.
Share 49ersWebzone