There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

Originally posted by Oscar:
Originally posted by English:
I think that the 49ers two biggest needs are (in order) 1) O-Line, and specifically right tackle and 2) Quarterback.

I think drafting an OT then Clausen actually makes a lot of sense. Clausen can sit behind Smith and Carr for a year and absorb the offense then take over in an open competition next year. This means we do not have to keep Smith if he doesn't pan out, we can just let his contract expire. And it also gets Clausen with Davis, Gore and Crabtree. That's one solid offensive lineup.

I just hope he slips that far. If Aaron Rodgers can slip, so can Clausen.

Oscar, that means we are carrying 4 qb's on the roster next year. Can't see it.

We can put Nate Davis on the practice squad. If he gets snatched up we need to be okay with that because Clausen is (in theory, presuming we draft him in the 1st as opposed to the 5th like Davis) a much better prospect.

I'm not saying that we need to do that. We could go into the season without adding another QB. But I think there are some real benefits to allowing the QB to sit for a season or two and this situation allows that.

Interesting. Whilst I am not on the "Nate is the new Joe" bandwagon, I am not sure I would expose him to the PS. Unless, of course, the word from the coaches was that the zone don't know what they are talking about, the dude is garbage.

I think if I took Clausen I would dump Carr. You can have too many 1st round qb's. Betcha we don't have a shot at him, though! Long gone
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
I think that the 49ers two biggest needs are (in order) 1) O-Line, and specifically right tackle and 2) Quarterback.

I think drafting an OT then Clausen actually makes a lot of sense. Clausen can sit behind Smith and Carr for a year and absorb the offense then take over in an open competition next year. This means we do not have to keep Smith if he doesn't pan out, we can just let his contract expire. And it also gets Clausen with Davis, Gore and Crabtree. That's one solid offensive lineup.

We can put Nate Davis on the practice squad. If he gets snatched up we need to be okay with that because Clausen is (in theory, presuming we draft him in the 1st as opposed to the 5th like Davis) a much better prospect.

I'm not saying that we need to do that. We could go into the season without adding another QB. But I think there are some real benefits to allowing the QB to sit for a season or two and this situation allows that.

Interesting. Whilst I am not on the "Nate is the new Joe" bandwagon, I am not sure I would expose him to the PS. Unless, of course, the word from the coaches was that the zone don't know what they are talking about, the dude is garbage.

I think if I took Clausen I would dump Carr. You can have too many 1st round qb's. Betcha we don't have a shot at him, though! Long gone

I agree that he will be long gone. But we also thought that Crabs woul dbe long gone. And the Packers had no idea that Rodgers would fall that far.

And on the flip side, the Cardinals wish Leinart wouldn't have fallen to #10

I agree that he will be long gone. But we also thought that Crabs woul dbe long gone. And the Packers had no idea that Rodgers would fall that far.

He shouldn't have made that smart assed commercial about being thankful he hadn't been drafted by the Niners
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

He shouldn't have made that smart assed commercial about being thankful he hadn't been drafted by the Niners

Man, I remember Leinart was a sure thing. I remember people here wanted him instead of Smith and we wished he had come out a year earlier.

How things change, lol.

I'm quite sure Davis is not eligible for the practice squad..

-9fA
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I thought you had to have something like 3 or 4 accrued seasons in which you played in like 4 or more games? I'll look it up...
If he is there at 17, they should grab him.

-9fA

I thought you had to have something like 3 or 4 accrued seasons in which you played in like 4 or more games? I'll look it up...

"According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players. "
linkage

Since Davis made the 53 man team and stayed there for one year, he may have accrued an NFL season. Not 100% sure though.

-9fA
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

-9fA

"According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players. "
linkage

Since Davis made the 53 man team and stayed there for one year, he may have accrued an NFL season. Not 100% sure though.

-9fA

I think you're right. Unless for some oddball reason the 3rd QB doesn't fit on there. Ut i highly doubt it.
I say take him at 13 if he is available. I am on the consensus that you don't get a franchise QB opportunity very often and if he is there at 13 then he is the "BPA" without question. Especially for a team with uncertainty at the position at the QB position and lets just admit it for 7 yearts the position has pretty much been a disaster.

I don't know how see how any of the zoners can say that we should not take him or use him as trade bait. He is more valuable in trade with a season or two under his belt in the NFL if it so happens that Alex pans out like some of you folks envision. You all know where I stand on the kid.

First of all I don't know if Clausen will be there at 13, doubt it, but if he is available and this organizations passes on getting a franchise QB just because of the fear of Alex looking over his shoulder than this organization is FAILED and deserves no fans.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I say take him at 13 if he is available. I am on the consensus that you don't get a franchise QB opportunity very often and if he is there at 13 then he is the "BPA" without question. Especially for a team with uncertainty at the position at the QB position and lets just admit it for 7 yearts the position has pretty much been a disaster.

I don't know how see how any of the zoners can say that we should not take him or use him as trade bait. He is more valuable in trade with a season or two under his belt in the NFL if it so happens that Alex pans out like some of you folks envision. You all know where I stand on the kid.

First of all I don't know if Clausen will be there at 13, doubt it, but if he is available and this organizations passes on getting a franchise QB just because of the fear of Alex looking over his shoulder than this organization is FAILED and deserves no fans.

If Smith pans out and Clausen just sits on the bench and only takes preseason snaps, it will be highly unlikely that we'll receive more than a 1st round pick for him.

Very rarely does player value increase or stay constant without spectacular regular season performance.

-9fA
So in summary, here are my reasons why I wouldn't draft Clausen:

1. If the Smith experiment fails, then most likely we're going to be headed for a top 10 pick. At that position, we should be able to draft any of the top 2-3 QBs entering the draft next year.

2. While I'm not convinced about Nate Davis, if he has another solid preseason, he could make a believer out of me.

3. If Smith does pan out, we most likely won't receive equal compensation when the time comes to trade Clausen and we therefore have a negative return on the investment.

-9fA
Originally posted by mayo63:
I'd rather let Alex stink it up and get Locker or Luck in next years draft.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Great point. Although I hope hes there at 13, I hope we are able to trade back and accumulate more picks or maybe even a first next year and a 2nd this year.

For those of you saying if we pass on this guy and alex stinks it up we can just get Locker...... Great, with the first pick in the 2011 draft the niners will not be picking. We have no chance at the kid because regardless of what alex does, theres no way we dont finish at least 2nd in our division.
Another Pro Clausen video showcasing him and Golden Tate. Looked pretty good throwing the ball, and for those of you whom have complained about his rainbow deep passes it talks about that as well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8176e5ae/Mayock-s-Clausen-evaluation

Discuss