LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

I would draft him if hes there at 17. Here are some scouting reports and some of my insights to support my opinion. What's your thoughts on this kid?

I would draft him in the first but I am more in favor of trading back or waiting until 17 to pull the trigger because after 13, the only team I think would be interested in Clausen between our 13th and 17th picks is Seattle and maybe Tennesee. If he isn't selected by 13 and no one wishes to trade up for him at our 13th pick, I would say draft the BPA and wait for 17. If hes still around wed have another opportunity to trade down, and if no one wants to trade down I say we take him at 17.

I have been an avid pioneer on the Alex Smith band wagon and it feels like were at a crossroads on the Oregon trail with one path leading us to safety and a super bowl, and the other one will lead us to the Donner Pass during a long Tahoe winter. Trust me, Tahoe is cold. I live there.

As for Clausen:

Pros:
As big a believer as some of us are in Alex Smith, we can all admit he still has bust potential. If he doesn't pan out this year, it would be nice having a young QB waiting in the wings and learning the offense instead of starting fresh next year. I know we have Nate Davis developing, but he would benefit from another year or two in the offense and you can never have too much competition at the QB position. I don't like David Carr. Alex Smith only has a one year deal and we currently don't have any Qbs with a starting QB salary. San Diego took a chance very similar to this one and it panned out for them. JC has played with a bad defense, a horrible offensive line, and still managed to keep his team in games and had 4 come back victories.

Cons:
I really don't want Alex Smith looking over his shoulder again and I don't think Singletary does either but I also don't think hell be able to pass up a potential franchise quarterback at 17. If Alex Smith blows up this year and we almost make super bowl but are a player short well look back on this decision.

Here is a scouting report http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php
* Strengths:
*Solid size and adequate bulk
* Very good arm strength; can fit balls into tight windows
* Extremely quick, snappy release
* Great accuracy
* Nice hip torque on throws
* Gets rid of ball quickly
* Very decisive with the football
* Takes what defense gives him; doesn't force ball/will throw away
* Elite football IQ
* Great touch
* Well versed in NFL offense
* Good sense of timing
* Will step up/out of pocket
* Knows how to read coverage
* Sees the entire field; great vision
* Very polished for a true junior
* Shown outstanding development from freshman to junior season
* Extremely intelligent
* Ice in his veins; great poise
* Mentally tough; plays through pain
* Big leader
* Confident
* Film room rat
* Elite intangibles
* Good genetics and very well coached
* Spent 3.5 years in a West Coast offense

* Weaknesses:
* Does a poor job of selling play action
* Can get lazy with footwork - but has improved this
* Not a fluid athlete
* Personality might come off as abrasive
* Sometimes gets too much air under fade route
* Lacks a little pocket awareness

Summary: Jimmy Clausen is a franchise quarterback. He has carried the spotlight since he was a teenager and has surpassed the hype. He has an outstanding skill set with the elite intangibles you see in the great quarterbacks. Clausen isn't fazed by tense situations and has great leadership when the game is on the line. He puts in the hours to be a great quarterback and you see it on tape. Clausen will likely be the first quarterback drafted and is a projected top-five draft pick.

Player Comparison: Kurt Warner. Warner and Clausen both exhibit the same three-quarter release, they get the ball out quickly, and are extremely decisive/intelligent quarterbacks. Clausen has a stronger arm.

4/9/10: Jimmy Clausen completed 57-of-59 passes at his Pro Day, with the two misfires coming on fade routes to a relatively slow receiver (should have been Michael Floyd). Clausen is still arguably the top quarterback in this class.

3/11/10: Scored a 23 on his Wonderlic exam. A solid number, but it paled in comparison to Sam Bradford's 36.

2/27/10: Despite speculation that he might measure in at 6-1, Jimmy Clausen was a solid 6-2 1/2, 222 pounds at the Combine - which makes him taller than Mark Sanchez. Poor Todd McShay - now he's going to have to find something else wrong with Clausen. Here's a suggestion from Daniel S. via Facebook: "So what is [McShay] going to hate on next? His cup size?"

I actually hope hes there at 13 to use as leverage to trade back and aquire more picks. I dont want to pick him at 13, but instead pass on him and if hes there at 17 wed get another chance to trade back. I wouldnt be upset if we took this guy at 17, he has the potential to be a franchise quarterback and hes dedicated to his craft and obsessed with perfect throwing mechanics. Reminds me this Drew Brees vs Olympic archer accuracy competition when Brees won due to consistent mechanics.

[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 10, 2010 at 07:19:38 ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085 another great article on Clausen. This is the article that inspired me to start this poll. Hes been growing on me over the past 2 weeks, and this is the article that put me over the top.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like how fast he gets rid of the ball. I might take him at 17.
Sure, but not by our Niner's....Let's say "Trade Bait"
Originally posted by highway49:
Sure, but not by our Niner's....Let's say "Trade Bait"
besides he ain't gettin by Buffalo @ #9
At either #13 or #17, I would attempt to trade out of the pick and let another team have Clausen. If I didn't get sufficient value for trading back, I would take him at #17. Clausen has a quick release, adequate arm strength, throws his receivers open, very good pocket awareness, and can buy time with his feet. I would love to have another potential franchise QB on the roster. NFLDraftScout has him rated their #13 player.

Alex has another year on his contract. Second year under Jimmy Raye. If he is going to break out, this will be the year. If he doesn't........ Clausen.
Didn't Cleveland trade the #5 pick to the Jets last year for Sanchez?
And where is Cleveland a year later.....still in need of a franchise QB.

Hmmmm.

I'm not too sure we should pass on this guy if he's there at 17.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hell yah I would.

We NEED a real QB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I agree I don't think he gets by Buffalo at 9.
If he does get past Buffalo which is darn near impossible, and he's available at #13 then it's a more difficult decision than meets the eye. We are placing alot of faith in Alex Smith who is very unproven. I still say that Alex doesn't see the field very well, doesn't react well to pressure and is inaccurate. The jury is still out on him. If he remains status quo next year and doesn't improve then we are kicking ourselves.

David Carr is nothing more than a career backup at this point.

It's a tough call! I'd be willing to gamble on Clausen at #13 but it's only because we have an extra number one this year.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd rather let Alex stink it up and get Locker or Luck in next years draft.
I don't think we need claussen even if Alex does bad we can just get a qb next year it seems unbecissary to use a first round pick on a qb who won't even see the feild this year especially when we have much much mire pressing needs

FYI claussen has record for third smallest hands at the combine
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
I think that the 49ers two biggest needs are (in order) 1) O-Line, and specifically right tackle and 2) Quarterback.

I think drafting an OT then Clausen actually makes a lot of sense. Clausen can sit behind Smith and Carr for a year and absorb the offense then take over in an open competition next year. This means we do not have to keep Smith if he doesn't pan out, we can just let his contract expire. And it also gets Clausen with Davis, Gore and Crabtree. That's one solid offensive lineup.

I just hope he slips that far. If Aaron Rodgers can slip, so can Clausen.
Originally posted by Oscar:
I think that the 49ers two biggest needs are (in order) 1) O-Line, and specifically right tackle and 2) Quarterback.

I think drafting an OT then Clausen actually makes a lot of sense. Clausen can sit behind Smith and Carr for a year and absorb the offense then take over in an open competition next year. This means we do not have to keep Smith if he doesn't pan out, we can just let his contract expire. And it also gets Clausen with Davis, Gore and Crabtree. That's one solid offensive lineup.

Oscar, that means we are carrying 4 qb's on the roster next year. Can't see it.
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Oscar:

Oscar, that means we are carrying 4 qb's on the roster next year. Can't see it.

We can put Nate Davis on the practice squad. If he gets snatched up we need to be okay with that because Clausen is (in theory, presuming we draft him in the 1st as opposed to the 5th like Davis) a much better prospect.

I'm not saying that we need to do that. We could go into the season without adding another QB. But I think there are some real benefits to allowing the QB to sit for a season or two and this situation allows that.
Share 49ersWebzone