LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 217 users in the forums

How much signing OT Adams would help the niners

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I bet you he winds up in Redskins.
Originally posted by susweel:
I bet you he winds up in Redskins.

And hopefully that pushes an OT down to us.
I'm not for trading the 13th pick but signing Adams would be HUGE. It gives us the flexibility in the draft to truly draft the BPA. We could solidify the defense and the return game.
1a. Joe Haden CB
1b. Earl Thomas FS
2. Dexter McCluster WR/RB
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
We do not need to sign another over the hill, broken down, slow footed OT..

Dallas released him for a reason.

Here's a couple reasons why......holding calls, too many false starts and a bunch of tripping penalties because he can't move very well anymore.

What are the Niners waiting for.........................SIGN HIM UP!
Originally posted by Draftology:
I'm not for trading the 13th pick but signing Adams would be HUGE. It gives us the flexibility in the draft to truly draft the BPA. We could solidify the defense and the return game

....... whilst completely ignoring our biggest need for some time now, the O line. On account of this ageing, injury prone tackle, renown for collecting flags with all the enthusiasm of a Kwaeme, will magically transform into a young, fit, healthy player. If you believe.

Just remember, brethren, it happened before. Well, nearly.
Originally posted by English:
I'm not for trading the 13th pick but signing Adams would be HUGE. It gives us the flexibility in the draft to truly draft the BPA. We could solidify the defense and the return game

....... whilst completely ignoring our biggest need for some time now, the O line. On account of this ageing, injury prone tackle, renown for collecting flags with all the enthusiasm of a Kwaeme, will magically transform into a young, fit, healthy player. If you believe.

Free agency is about needs. The draft is about BPA. If we reach for a tackle and he doesn't pan out, we still have the same need. But if we pick a guy like Iupati, we can try him out at tackle, but if it doesn't work out we have a great guard. Or we take a guy like C.J. Spiller. He would give us explosiveness on offense. Flozell Adams, I admit, would be a band-aid, but if we get him, we can pick a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd round who will compete with him this year or, at worst next year. And if our 2nd or 3rd round pick doesn't work out, it doesn't hurt financially because he wasn't a first round pick.

Free agency is about needs. The draft is about BPA. If we reach for a tackle and he doesn't pan out, we still have the same need. But if we pick a guy like Iupati, we can try him out at tackle, but if it doesn't work out we have a great guard. Or we take a guy like C.J. Spiller. He would give us explosiveness on offense. Flozell Adams, I admit, would be a band-aid, but if we get him, we can pick a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd round who will compete with him this year or, at worst next year. And if our 2nd or 3rd round pick doesn't work out, it doesn't hurt financially because he wasn't a first round pick.

We have avoided dealing with this need for rather a long time. And I don't even consider Adams a band aid.

As you had assigned the second round pick (if I recall) the earliest pick you could use on the O line would be the third. And it is my opinion that this is not giving it a sufficient priority. No draft IMO is entirely BPA. Need is factored in. But our line just cannot get the priority.

Again, Flo solves nothing.

+1

Adams may not be great, but at least he has some experience. Don't reach for a rookie that you are then stuck with. Landing Adams, even as a band aid for a year or two opens up a lot of possibilities for BPA in the draft. Not sure who you all think is going to be available @ 13 that would be better, but from what I am reading, it sounds like slim pickings.

We have avoided dealing with this need for rather a long time. And I don't even consider Adams a band aid.

As you had assigned the second round pick (if I recall) the earliest pick you could use on the O line would be the third. And it is my opinion that this is not giving it a sufficient priority. No draft IMO is entirely BPA. Need is factored in. But our line just cannot get the priority.

Again, Flo solves nothing.
He has anchored one of the best lines in the NFL for years. Yes, he does get to many penalties, but moving to the right side will allow him to go against inferior pass rushers. Most of his false starts are due to going against premier defensive ends. I agree no draft is purely BPA, but ideally that is what would happen. To me there is no question that Adams is an upgrade over Snyder and Sims. It wouldn't be ideal to flat out hand a rookie the job anyway, especially a guy like Anthony Davis whos work ethic has been questioned. Plus a second/third round pick would be expected to compete for the starting job.
  • Dunnee87
  • Info N/A
This is a DEEP draft...why get a old (injured all the time) player

Originally posted by captnkos:

+1

Adams may not be great, but at least he has some experience. Don't reach for a rookie that you are then stuck with. Landing Adams, even as a band aid for a year or two opens up a lot of possibilities for BPA in the draft. Not sure who you all think is going to be available @ 13 that would be better, but from what I am reading, it sounds like slim pickings.

Adams is finished. Almost any draftee would be better. We are not, since the re-signing of Sims, for a starter from day 1. We are looking for a tackle who can move into, probably, the RT position during the course of this season or by the start of the next. If there is one.

And Adams will do what other, similar players, have done for us since Jennings. Very little.
Originally posted by captnkos:

+1

Adams is finished. Almost any draftee would be better. We are not, since the re-signing of Sims, for a starter from day 1. We are looking for a tackle who can move into, probably, the RT position during the course of this season or by the start of the next. If there is one.

And Adams will do what other, similar players, have done for us since Jennings. Very little.

And if the OT that you reached for and PAID for in the draft doesn't get up to speed you would rather have Sims than Adams starting for the year? I would have a hard time getting on board with that . . . even though Sims did play well last year.
  • flow
  • Veteran
I think the only winner in signing Adams would be the caterer that provides meals to the 49ers. Just my opinion though.
No thanks, the guy is like 40 years old.
Share 49ersWebzone