There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PTulini's Mock Draft- Version 2 (04/06/10)

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Good draft, definitely agree with OTC's concerns about Banks.

But if we draft a CB and S in the first round, chances are they both won't be start in 2010. If you have 2 first round picks, wouldn't you want to address a position that has a critical hole like OT instead of CB (3 players that can start) or S (2 players, and then Reggie Smith)?
I love the Haden and Thomas picks. solify our secondary in a pass driven league. If you can substitute Aj wallace cb/pr/kr in the 6th or Armanti edwards im all for it.
Drafting both would result in one of the most dominant secondaries in the league! However, Maybe Thomas and wilson would be better, since Wilson can also return punts.
If we picked up Flozell Adams on a 1 year contract as an insurance policy, this would be an amazing draft . . .
Love the Shipley pick, I think he's going to be a stud. I'm not very high on Haden, and would rather take whichever OT is there at the time. I'm really starting to become a huge Earl Thomas fan now, and would love it if we went with Thomas + OT (preferably Williams if he falls).
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
For the life of me, I cannot understand this board's fascination with Brandon Banks, a receiver who did things in college that he's just not going to be able to do in the NFL.

He's an injury just waiting to happen. Folks, stay as far away from the guy as possible.

Pat, you tend to do a good job on these, but any mock containing Banks -- a 149 pound player with character concerns (arrested for assault and battery and unlawful possession of a stimulant) just doesn't work for me.

I don't see him getting drafted, or making an NFL roster for that matter.

Trying not to be too critical here but, I'm not a fan of Thomas or Capers that high. I think it's highly unlikely that Troup falls that far. He's an outstanding NT prospect that should go within the first four rounds.

I like the Deji Karim pick.

OTC, I really respect your opinion. Thanks for the feedback! To be honest, after the two 1st round picks, I started to get very confused. I know we need a right OT, but this draft is so crazy. I have no idea who could be there at #49? I could see Okung, T. Williams, Bulaga, A. Davis, B. Campbell, and C. Brown all going in the 1st round! So where does that leave us for the 2nd round? I know we could take Anthony Davis in round 1, but there are so many issues with that kid... NO THANK YOU, I'll pass!

Can you give me some ideas for a 2nd round OT? My problem is that a lot of these guys are so raw. We need someone who can step in now. I was also thinking that if we could get a good RT, we could kick Snyder inside to a backup OG. Your thoughts?

A lot of people tend to complain about Jordan Shipley, but I don't get it? The man is a very good, sure-handed WR who could also help us in the return game. Think about how many passes Vernon Davis or any of our other WRs have dropped, that's why I think we need a guy like Shipley! He's not flashy, but could really help Alex Smith (or any future QB).

For alot of this mock I just got confused. I wasn't sure who was going to fit where? I do have plans to redo this mock. Any ideas or suggestions? Again, thanks for the feedback OTC!

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:13:14 ]
I like Jerry instead of Capers in the 2nd. The only other problem I have is that I think we need more offensive guys early since our defense is clearly what carries this team. Other than that, good draft! I love the Thomas pick!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Selvish Capers is garbage, I wouldn't pick him until the fifth round if I were a GM. There are alot of second round tackles that wont be able to come in and start right away but have a lot of potential like Vladimir Ducasse. I'm hoping Rodger Saffold is available at our second but he will probably go very late first or early second.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Selvish Capers is garbage, I wouldn't pick him until the fifth round if I were a GM. There are alot of second round tackles that wont be able to come in and start right away but have a lot of potential like Vladimir Ducasse. I'm hoping Rodger Saffold is available at our second but he will probably go very late first or early second.

I can see Saffold going to the Colts. He is a guy I really like for the 49ers
Originally posted by PTulini:
For the life of me, I cannot understand this board's fascination with Brandon Banks, a receiver who did things in college that he's just not going to be able to do in the NFL.

He's an injury just waiting to happen. Folks, stay as far away from the guy as possible.

Pat, you tend to do a good job on these, but any mock containing Banks -- a 149 pound player with character concerns (arrested for assault and battery and unlawful possession of a stimulant) just doesn't work for me.

Trying not to be too critical here but, I'm not a fan of Thomas or Capers that high. I think it's highly unlikely that Troup falls that far. He's an outstanding NT prospect that should go within the first four rounds.

OTC, I really respect your opinion. Thanks for the feedback! To be honest, after the two 1st round picks, I started to get very confused. I know we need a right OT, but this draft is so crazy. I have no idea who could be there at #49? I could see Okung, T. Williams, Bulaga, A. Davis, B. Campbell, and C. Brown all going in the 1st round! So where does that leave us for the 2nd round? I know we could take Anthony Davis in round 1, but there are so many issues with that kid... NO THANK YOU, I'll pass!

Can you give me some ideas for a 2nd round OT? My problem is that a lot of these guys are so raw. We need someone who can step in now. I was also thinking that if we could get a good RT, we could kick Snyder inside to a backup OG. Your thoughts?

A lot of people tend to complain about Jordan Shipley, but I don't get it? The man is a very good, sure-handed WR who could also help us in the return game. Think about how many passes Vernon Davis or any of our other WRs have dropped, that's why I think we need a guy like Shipley! He's not flashy, but could really help Alex Smith (or any future QB).

For alot of this mock I just got confused. I wasn't sure who was going to fit where? I do have plans to redo this mock. Any ideas or suggestions? Again, thanks for the feedback OTC!

If you were to redo the mock, I would suggest taking OT at 13, and taking your CB at 49. I think overall it'll work out better that way. Also, since you already took Shipley, who I agree will be an excellent slot WR, I suggest you take someone else as opposed to Banks, perhaps an ILB to eventually take over for Spikes.
I'd rather have Jared Veldheer in the second round. I Love the first round!!

I have zero problem with Shipley. I like the kid, and think he'd fit fine here.

As for 2nd round tackles, there are a few very good ones we could look at, including Rodger Saffold, Jared Veldheer (still taking credit for bringing attention to this guy ), and Vladimir Ducasse (however I'm not a fan of this guy as a tackle. I see him best as an OG prospect).

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 6, 2010 at 14:48:12 ]
Originally posted by Niners23:

If you were to redo the mock, I would suggest taking OT at 13, and taking your CB at 49. I think overall it'll work out better that way. Also, since you already took Shipley, who I agree will be an excellent slot WR, I suggest you take someone else as opposed to Banks, perhaps an ILB to eventually take over for Spikes.

I don't think there will be an OT worth taking at #13. I expect Okung, T. Williams, and Bulaga to be gone. In regards to his talent, I like Anthony Davis. But I don't like his off-the-field issues and poor work ethic. I'll pass on him!

I have zero problem with Shipley. I like the kid, and think he'd fit fine here.

As for 2nd round tackles, there are a few very good ones we could look at, including Rodger Saffold, Jared Veldheer (still taking credit for bring attention to this guy ), and Vladimir Ducasse (however I'm not a fan of this guy as a tackle. I see him best as an OG prospect).

You should get ALL the credit as far as I'm concerned.

Its the least we can do.

Really, though, Veldheer had a great Combine, probably second in overall performance only to Campbell, and not really that far behind him. He's got great size and measurables--arm length, speed, strength, explosiveness, etc. Small school Hillsdale, premed guy--great intangibles--but only real question: can he play.

If we don't get an OT in the first, would he be a reach at #49? If Saffold's gone by then, I'd consider him.

If he turns out great, Pro Bowl in three years, you, OTC, should get all the credit.
I tried to go for value more than anything in my latest mock. I believe the top three OTs will be gone by the time our first pick comes around. I don't expect everyone to like this mock, but I tried to put a lot of effort into it. I hope you appreciate it!

Round 1 # 13 - CB Joe Haden - Florida
5-10 3/4, 193 lbs.

Round 1 # 17 - S Earl Thomas - Texas
5-10 1/4, 208 lbs.

Round 2 # 49 - OT Selvish Capers - West Virginia
6-4 1/8, 308 lbs.

Round 3 # 79 - WR Jordan Shipley - Texas
5-11 1/4, 193 lbs.

Round 4 # 113 - OT Tony Washington - Abilene Christian
6-6 1/8, 311 lbs.

Round 5 # 145 - DT Torrell Troup - Central Florida
6-2 3/4, 314 lbs.

Round 6 # 182 - DE/OLB Adrian Tracy - William & Mary
6-2 5/8, 248 lbs.

Round 6 # 206 - WR/RS Brandon Banks - Kansas St.
5-7, 150 lbs.

Round 7 # 224 - RB Deji Karim - Southern Illinois
5-11, 205 lbs.

49ers Free Agents Signed: OG Chester Pitts, QB David Carr

Overall I like it. A few things I would do differently:

Not a big fan of Capers at OT, especially in the second. The rap on him is that he isn't a consistent pass blocker and that is the biggest issue the Niners have with the OT spot. I would go for Saffold or Ducasse at this point of the draft if available

Shipley doesn't do it for me either in the third. I think the Niners need some speed at WR and that is not Shipley's strength. Someone like Emmanuel Sanders SMU with his 4.4 speed would be good here.

Banks is too big of a character risk and too small IMO. Leroy Vann would be my pick at this spot.