There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

7 round niner mock - with alternatives

After doing some slotting in the last few days, i now think i am ready to make a 49ers 7 round mock. Here is what i think could make sense :

-------------------------------
Round 1 - Pick 1

We have to wait which OT will slide, but i don't think there are not too many chances on Bulaga, Okung and Williams. If we are lucky, Davis will slip, but i think the guy who must be taken here is :

- Joe Haden, CB from Florida

He is a shutdown corner, he played in a big time program, he can really cover and he can step right in from day one. Our improved pass rush will give our corners more opportunities to make plays.

If Haden is not available, take the next best CB available. This would be Earl Thomas, who i think will be a cb at the next level because of his small frame (for a safety). So:

- Alternative : Earl Thomas, CB from Texas

-------------------------------

Round 1 - Pick 2

This pick is the OT pick. Take whoever drops , but i thing the only guy who could drop to 17 is

- Anthony Davis, OT from Rutgers.

If nobody drops (what is very possible) take Charles Brown here. It is a slight reach, but he projects very good to Coach Solari's scheme.

- Alternative : Charles Brown from USC

---------------------------------

Round 2

Lets find the guy who replaces Michael Lewis (after) this season. A hard hittign safety will ballskills, who can play in the box and knows how to get to the ball:

- Reshad Jones, S from Georgia

If Jones is gone, how about Jones ? ;)

- Alternative : Chad Jones, S from LSU

-----------------------------------

Round 3

Now its time to find interior line help. There are some good guards out there, but in this area, i take on a guy, who is really smart on the footballfield, who has power to blow away defenders and who can move out there in a zone blocking scheme :

- John Asamoah, OG from Ilinois

If Asamoah is gone, take the next best guard. A college left tackle, who projects to the inside and can really move and is great on blitz pickups and pass support:

- Alternative : Zane Beadles, OG from Utah

-------------------------------------

Round 4

This is the round for our returner. We need a guy, who can score whenever he touches the ball and who can really fly down the field.

So my pick is a guy, who can create havoc in the slot, too. He is extremely elusive, can make people miss and has some speed to offer:

- Brandon Banks, WR from Kansas State

The alternative is a guy who lit up the combine and can really run away from defenders:

- Alternative : Jacoby Ford, WR from Clemson

----------------------------------------

Round 5

Linebacker-Round : Our passrush really improved. We have Dyrail Briggs as a promising 2nd year guy, but why don't take a try on some more pass rushers :

This guy started the season with 7 sacks in 2 games. After that he got ill, lost some weight and wasn't the same for the rest of the season. But if he is healthy, he looks really interesting:

- Lindsey Witten, OLB from Conneticut

If he is not available, get inside and pick another guy who could be Takeo Spikes successor :

- Alternative : Philip Dillard, MLB from Nebraska

------------------------------------------

Round 6 - Pick 1

There are many NT's in this years draft and so there should be some guys, who can occupy blockers and clog the middle available in the 6th round.
My fist choice would be

- Kade Weston, NT from Georgia

The other guy here would be

- Alternative : Travis Ivey, NT from Maryland

--------------------------------------------

Round 6 - Pick 2

I would try a gamble here. This guy has been a mid round pick before his pre combine workout, where he blew away his knee. He looks like a promising OLB in our scheme, he is a workhorse and a real high motor guy. Give him a redshirt year and pick

- O'Brien Schofield, OLB from Wisconsin

Another pass rushing project would be the alternative. He played in a small school, but looks intruiging and like a great guy

- Alternative : Larry Hart, OLB from Central Arkansas

--------------------------------------------

Round 7

Change of pace running back here. At first a guy who didn't have too many opportunites behind Ryan Matthews but looked great when he had the chance to show it. Good blocker, good speed, much upside:

- Lonyae Miller, RB from Fresno State

Alternative is a guy, who can be a weapon outside the numbers and who can return kicks, too, if the 4th round does not pan out:

- Shawnbrey McNeal, RB from SMU

[ Edited by stever on Apr 5, 2010 at 13:29:44 ]
I love the draft with alternatives. Altought Charles Brown is a slight reach at 17, he fits with the NEW OL scheme. Heck the Patriots where chided for taking Mankins in round 1, he was projected to be a third rounder. The draft pundits panned the pick, then torry Holt says Belicheck has the rings, and you know what, mankins has been the most consistent 1st round pick of the 2005 draft. I believe he has played in every game.
Brandon Banks will never come here. In fact, he won't get drafted. A 5-7 149 pound receiver who got arrested a few months ago has virtually zero chance of making it in the NFL.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Brandon Banks will never come here. In fact, he won't get drafted. A 5-7 149 pound receiver who got arrested a few months ago has virtually zero chance of making it in the NFL.

Hm i didn't notice the arrest, what is a real red flag. There are some really small guys in the nfl today. Not 150 but around 170 pounds. If Banks could put on some pounds, i think this should be ok.
And if not - Take Jacoby Ford :) Or maybe a guy like Emmanuel Sanders from SMU.

OTC:
When do we get to see your 49ers draft?
I like it. Definetly will go with Ford over Banks.
Great idea providing alternatives.
  • TheNatureBoy
  • Info N/A
Sir this is an awesome draft and most importantly realistic.
13 is way too early for E. Thomas

I think Tackle is the best choice with the first pick (unless spiller is available or someone falls). Taking a tackle early gives us more flexibility to move the 17th pick.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

OTC:
When do we get to see your 49ers draft?

Soon, soon. It's almost ready. Little by little it becomes more complete. It will be done at least a week before the draft, I'd say. So within the next week or so.
Originally posted by TheNatureBoy:
Sir this is an awesome draft and most importantly realistic.
I like a lot of your mock...but, I'd change the 2nd pick to DE Tyson Alualu from Cal. Rationale is we need a lot more production from LDE...none of the trio of Sopoaga, Evans or Balmer has done much. Singletary needs a stud to bookend Justin Smith...Alualu is that guy. He's 6-3, 295 and played in the 3-4 under Jeff Tedford. We can still get a S...Rolle or Robert Johnson, probably in the 4th rd. I really don't believe Singletary's that inclined to draft a S...but even if he does, I predict it won't be in the 2nd rd. Coach has said he believes Reggie Smith is ready to step up, plus he has Curtis Taylor he's also high on. Asamoah's good, but think I'd rather have Mike Johnson...he played both OG and OT for Nick Saban at Alabama, so his versatility and the fact he played at a championship level in the SEC would sway me to take him.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like a lot of your mock...but, I'd change the 2nd pick to DE Tyson Alualu from Cal. Rationale is we need a lot more production from LDE...none of the trio of Sopoaga, Evans or Balmer has done much. Singletary needs a stud to bookend Justin Smith...Alualu is that guy. He's 6-3, 295 and played in the 3-4 under Jeff Tedford. We can still get a S...Rolle or Robert Johnson, probably in the 4th rd. I really don't believe Singletary's that inclined to draft a S...but even if he does, I predict it won't be in the 2nd rd. Coach has said he believes Reggie Smith is ready to step up, plus he has Curtis Taylor he's also high on. Asamoah's good, but think I'd rather have Mike Johnson...he played both OG and OT for Nick Saban at Alabama, so his versatility and the fact he played at a championship level in the SEC would sway me to take him.

Imo, we have way to much money invested in the de position to give up on them yet. The position is ok production wise, isn't valued to much in our defense and their are a lot of players on the roster who are de's. At safety, there are only unproven/late round players on the roster right too. I think we need an impact player here on this position. And you don't get that in the later rounds (without a lot of luck).
I would love this draft great job
I love your picks, but Haden may not have a place to start this year. Banks or Ford, the NTs, fast RBs in the later rounds is smart IMO. I might add a TE in there someplace of Witten. I also think a third round guard won't replace Baas this year. I prefer an OT and Iupati in the first round.

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 6, 2010 at 06:41:57 ]