LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Trade the 17th pick

Trade the 17th pick

I dont understand the logic of drafting two rookies in the top 17, and paying both of them 1st round money, knowing that there is a 50/50 chance each player could be a bust. The McNabb trade makes me wonder what player we could trade for for the 17th pick. Brandon Marshall, anyone? How about a coveted tackle or guard? Id gladly trade the 17th pick for a proven player.

Its like being presented with the choice of either 1 million dollars cash, or a lottery ticket for the chance to win millions or nothing at all. You take the sure thing. Draft picks are never sure things. For every Patrick Willis theres a Rashaun Woods, for every Joe Staley, a Kwame Harris. Julian Peterson to Mike Rumph.

We can find a team that wants the 17th pick. I want to trade it. And by the way it always works out great when I do this in Madden franchise!
Depends what is there at the time.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Depends what is there at the time.
I don't know if I agree with your stats about a 50/50 chance of a first rounder busting, particularly on the O line, but if this was right, having two picks would give you an excellent chance of a success!
Originally posted by English:
I don't know if I agree with your stats about a 50/50 chance of a first rounder busting, particularly on the O line, but if this was right, having two picks would give you an excellent chance of a success!
  • benton45
  • Info N/A
Trade the 2nd rounder for Gaither

Tradt #17 and the 3rd rounder for #7 and take Berry....

2nd, 3rd and #17 = 3 players

Berry (best safety in draft), Gaither (Proven Starting Tackle)

Rather have those 2 than a 2nd...a 17 and a mid rounder any day...

Take Haden at 13...and oh man...

Come away from draft day looking SOLID
Originally posted by benton45:

that has been my draft to but lets be honest that wont happen too many trades hopefully we still do the 2nd for gaither

I don't even think Berry is the best FS in this class...Earl Thomas is. Now, Berry can also play SS, but who the hell cares? We need help over the top more than anything, and Goldson would make a great SS.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I don't even think Berry is the best FS in this class...Earl Thomas is. Now, Berry can also play SS, but who the hell cares? We need help over the top more than anything, and Goldson would make a great SS.

what are you going by earl thomas is good and has about the same coverage skills as berry but berrys is much better in the run game and at the "take it to the house ability" unless you can tell the future then we have to go and say berry is the best S prospect he was much better throughhout college
Gaither for a 2nd would be ideal. I'd be willing to toss in a 7th as well. I'd then draft Iupati with the 17th.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

what are you going by earl thomas is good and has about the same coverage skills as berry but berrys is much better in the run game and at the "take it to the house ability" unless you can tell the future then we have to go and say berry is the best S prospect he was much better throughhout college

Thomas has Ed Reed-like Ball skills...much better than Berry's -- I don't think anybody's debating that. but Berry is much better in the run game. But the thing is that we need a FS, not a SS.

Thomas has Ed Reed-like Ball skills...much better than Berry's -- I don't think anybody's debating that. but Berry is much better in the run game. But the thing is that we need a FS, not a SS.

berry is a FS he is a ballhawk as well has excellent ball skills the good thing about berry he can play FS or SS ( he is more suited for FS) he has the speed and teh hands and the smarts to play FS

berry is a FS he is a ballhawk as well has excellent ball skills the good thing about berry he can play FS or SS ( he is more suited for FS) he has the speed and teh hands and the smarts to play FS

Sorry, gonna have to go w/ Mayock on this one. Also, Berry basically played SS/4th LB in the Kiffen Scheme last year.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and getting multiple late round picks. We need o-line help in more than one spot. Walsh found good lineman in later rounds, why can't it be done again?

The fact that we are comparing these guys to all-time greats and there are legitimate arguments to take either one leads me to think we should just trade the 2nd for Gaither, take Joe Haden at 13, take Earl Thomas at 17, and since we keep our 3rd round pick take a guard with it. We have completely revamped the secondary and the o-line, our two biggest weaknesses.
Share 49ersWebzone