LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

How Does The McNabb Trade affect us, + and -

This might help Berry fall lower if Clausen is available for Cleveland's pick.
On the plus side, we don't have to hear every talking head on ESPN say we should pick him up............

and

On the minus side, it doesn't really affect the Niners draft strategy. The Niners are still in a position to draft two impact players no matter what happens in front of them in the draft. Even without the trade, the possibility of all the top OT's being gone was there.
Only more likely the top OT's'll be gone by 13. I think the chances are fairly good that Haden will be available and that's who I've started to root for at 13. Leave OL to 17 and/or perhaps #42 unless one of the top OT's miraculously slide.

[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 5, 2010 at 02:19:07 ]
we can take the BPA at 13 instead of the Best OT available and reach for the best OT available at 17 like OT from USC. at least this way we will be ok at RT insead of good at RT and still get Thomas, Spiller at 13.

Also we could Trade up to get Buluga using our 13 and a 3rd b/c OT's might be flying off the board faster. This way we would have a very good OT that could be a LT in a yr and move Staley to RT.....this would be ideal if the niners have a plethora of balls
Originally posted by elguapo:
we can take the BPA at 13 instead of the Best OT available and reach for the best OT available at 17 like OT from USC. at least this way we will be ok at RT insead of good at RT and still get Thomas, Spiller at 13.

Also we could Trade up to get Buluga using our 13 and a 3rd b/c OT's might be flying off the board faster. This way we would have a very good OT that could be a LT in a yr and move Staley to RT.....this would be ideal if the niners have a plethora of balls

If Okung doesn't get drafted 1-3, then there is a possibility that we could trade into the 4th spot to grab Okung. Washington doesn't have a 2nd this year or a 3rd next year and may be interested in trading down to 13. Of course, it will likely cost the 9ers their 3rd or 4th this year and their 1st or 2nd next year to do this.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by elguapo:

If Okung doesn't get drafted 1-3, then there is a possibility that we could trade into the 4th spot to grab Okung. Washington doesn't have a 2nd this year or a 3rd next year and may be interested in trading down to 13. Of course, it will likely cost the 9ers their 3rd or 4th this year and their 1st or 2nd next year to do this.

I really dont see us going up to the 4th. Even for Okung.
Wow, I still remember this draft zone being all up in arms and laughing in the face of the four top OTs going before #10. Ain't laughing now, huh? It is very likely that Okung, Bulaga, Williams AND Davis go before #10.

There was a possibility that Wash would take Clausen. Not anymore unless Shanny wants three years to develop him. I just don't see it with their huge need of an OT.

It will be Okung or Bulaga for Washington now.
IMO it looks really bad for an OT at #13. Detroit will not take an OT after signing Sims (This means Backus will stay at LT). But the Chiefs, Redskins, Seahawks, Raiders and Bills really need an OT. One of them may take Clausen (but this is far from a lock). If Clausen drops, there will definitly be no top four OT available. It looks a lot like Clausen or Haden will be available at #13, but no OT.

[ Edited by stever on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:25:56 ]
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:
i read the article about how this can potentially lead to the skins taking an OT which doesnt help us but i want to know if there are ways that this move actually helps us..if it helps us any at all. Any theories?

I think the Redskins now try to drop back 5 to 10 spots and regain that 2nd round pick and then take Dez Bryant in the middle rounds. They have garbage talent at WR and McNabbs best seasons came with either TO or Jackson to toss it to.
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
i read the article about how this can potentially lead to the skins taking an OT which doesnt help us but i want to know if there are ways that this move actually helps us..if it helps us any at all. Any theories?

I think the Redskins now try to drop back 5 to 10 spots and regain that 2nd round pick and then take Dez Bryant in the middle rounds. They have garbage talent at WR and McNabbs best seasons came with either TO or Jackson to toss it to.

They have Santana Moss and they drafted two WR's in the 1st and 2nd round last year.So i don't think they pick a WR early this year.

Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:

They have Santana Moss and they drafted two WR's in the 1st and 2nd round last year.So i don't think they pick a WR early this year.

They drafted Orakpo last year and didn't have a 2nd round pick. You are thinking of 2 years ago. Moss's best days are surely behind him and those 2 young guys have shown absolutely zero in 2 years. Bryant is a game changer and Shanahan needs his version of Brandon Marshall.
imo if the top 4 tackles are gone you take Graham

a lot of mocks have us choosing Haden, like this mock

what would you do? he has Brown going at #23
Originally posted by teeohh:
imo if the top 4 tackles are gone you take Graham

a lot of mocks have us choosing Haden, like this mock

what would you do? he has Brown going at #23

While I want an OT in the 1st, I'd love this draft over reaching for Brown with one of 2 picks.

I think Haden is the best CB in the draft and Spiller the best RB/Return man. We could improve 4 spots on our team with these two choices.
it could help us trade back from 13 if clausen is still on the board and somebody wants to move up to grab him (not that the seahawks at 14, gmen at 15 or tenn at 16 are gonna take him but...
Wow, dude this draft is literally just a few weeks away. I'm so pumped!!

Guys, I really think we'll come out on top. I honestly dont think it will be serious enough if we dont land a top tackle, because we can still trade down or get one later, but we also have alex boone who has people reconsidering how important a tackle is this off season. I'm not saying he's going to be Kyle Turley or anything, but if he ends up doing well in the off season and trainging well we could have our answer on our own team, and any body else we draft provides depth. I think we should take lupitai, and earl thomas if they are there. I think those would be incredibly stable picks. Lupitai would definately beat out chilo, and I think we could fix a lot of things.
Share 49ersWebzone