There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Realistic Tackle Options

Realistic Tackle Options

I personally want either Davis in the 1st or Saffold in the 2nd
i think we pick up Davis at 17.
davis in 1st or Safold in the 2nd

If top 4 are gone and BPA at 13 and 17 are impact players that we need, then I'd wait till 2nd...but by the time the draft comes I think we still will get a shot at Trent Williams since he's limited as a LT and more of a RT.
staffold wont be there at 49 we have to trade up to the top of the 2nd round i wouldnt mind anthony davis at 13 or 17 to be hinest
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
i think we pick up Davis at 17.

Me too; Take the BPA at 13 and Davis at 17; if he's not there, we trade down to take Brown or Saffold.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
staffold wont be there at 49 we have to trade up to the top of the 2nd round i wouldnt mind anthony davis at 13 or 17 to be hinest

I'd be shocked if Saffold was there at 49 (and a little concerned).
*I for one don't think we NEED to draft a Tackle in the first round but we do have to address the offensive line. Were not looking for someone to protect the blind side unless Staley goes down. We need someone to anchor the right side, and flip over to the left in the event of a Staley injury, but I don't believe we should necessarily use one of our first round picks. Especially if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Davis are gone although I'm not completely sold on Davis or Cambell.

* Guard Mike Iupati, and I would prefer to trade back into the low to mid 20's to select him if I could. I just feel that 17 is a little to high for a guard, especially if there is a player that slides and someone wants to trade up for them. Hes the best guard in the draft and if he could become a Steve Hutchinson calibur player he's worth taking a chance on at 17 and maybe even 13, although that is high for a guard and I believe that there should be better prospects available at 13.

I think there will be some value at RT available with our 49th pick. The RT's id be happy drafting in the 2nd - 4th round would be.....(No particular order)

*Potential RT Solutions*Height Weight 40 Dash
Rodger Saffold Indiana 6-4⅝ 316 5.20
Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts 6-4⅜ 332 5.27
Charles Brown Southern Cal 6-5⅜ 303 5.20
Sam Young Notre Dame 6-7½ 314 5.33
Selvish Capers West Virginia 6-4⅝ 308 5.14
Ciron Black LSU 6-4 327 5.42
Lee Ziemba Auburn 6-7¼ 306
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia 6-5⅜ 308


Young and Black are my favorites from the group mentioned above because they've anchored the blind side and started for their respective teams the last 3 years and have been healthy and consistent. Not only that they are capable of being moved inside to Guard and that added flexibility adds value and depth to our team.

Combine that with a slimmed down Boone (whom I hope will wow us this year btw but trying not to get hopes up) and it looks like we've got some young and healthy competition on our line. All Im saying is we don't HAVE to draft OT in the first round, but if the BPA is an OT and we cant trade back pull the trigger! We have options.

I have a feeling someone is going to fall right into our laps at 13. I am very excited having 3 of the first 49 picks. This draft could put us over the hump.
Things just got clearer now that McNabb was traded to the Redskins. The probability of one of the top tackles at #13 just went down.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Things just got clearer now that McNabb was traded to the Redskins. The probability of one of the top tackles at #13 just went down.

okung will go at 4 but that means clausssen will drop to bills who were expected to get OT anyway so it evens out
Thos options just got slimmer with McNabb in Washington and the retirement of Chris Samuels I can almost guarantee Washington will be taking an Offensive Tackle. I also suspect the Lions to select one. In addition to the Lions and the Skins, the Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders, and Bills all need help at Offensive Tackle and I bet Cambell goes to the Raiders, lol.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Thos options just got slimmer with McNabb in Washington and the retirement of Chris Samuels I can almost guarantee Washington will be taking an Offensive Tackle. I also suspect the Lions to select one. In addition to the Lions and the Skins, the Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders, and Bills all need help at Offensive Tackle and I bet Cambell goes to the Raiders, lol.

Jim Schwartz is a defensive minded coach (him being a D-Coordinater in Tennessee and all). The Lions have a choice at two of the best DT to come out of college in a long time, so I doubt they pass up on McCoy or Suh. They have an early 2nd, so they'll probably go tackle then. Plus, they seem very confident in Backus.
Also, why does everybody think that Williams isn't a realistic option anymore? Everybody knows he's a true RT, and only a pretty good LT, if even. Teams like Kansas, Oakland (maybe), Seattle, or Buffalo won't take him to fill their LT needs IMO.
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
i think we pick up Davis at 17.

i dont like davis but ill accept him at 17..please not at 13
Originally posted by irishluder:
davis in 1st or Safold in the 2nd

If top 4 are gone and BPA at 13 and 17 are impact players that we need, then I'd wait till 2nd...but by the time the draft comes I think we still will get a shot at Trent Williams since he's limited as a LT and more of a RT.
Okung will go #2 to Detroit.
Bulaga or T. Williams #4 to Washington.
Bulaga or T. Williams #8 to Oakland.

These teams could also use a Tackle:
K.C. (#5)
Seattle(#6)
Buffalo (#9)

I don't see us in position to pick up a top OT in the first, and IMO reaching for one wouldn't be a good move.

I could see us trading up in the 2nd to pick up Brown, Saffold, or Ducasse.
Or
Trading down from #17 to pick Davis, Brown, Campbell, or Saffold.

By no means should we stay put at 13 or 17 and "reach" for an OT.