There are 169 users in the forums

Campbell will be a better pick @17 than Iupati

I'd rather have Campbell over Iupati at 17, and ill explain why.

first off all, Iupati is a Guard. if he didnt play Tackle in college theres no way he plays tackle in the pros. NONE. Secondly, against top flight competition in the senior bowl he had a sup par game by all accounts, gets caught holding far too often as well. also in a deep, deep draft as this, theres no way any team should be drafting a guard with a pick in the teens.

Campbell has better mobility than Iupati, and can play T. His technique is questionable, so if he fails to perform as a T, you put him inside at Guard and watch him maul people. I know Iupati is strong but Campbell is a beast, and more versatile. I think if the top tier T are gone by 13, we take BPA at that spot and take Campbell at 17 or move down if we think we can grab him later on.
I just dont like Bruce Campbell. I do not like drafting on potential. Campbell was never named to a All-ACC team in college. He only started 17 games at Maryland. Workout warror. I would take him Late first or early second, but i think i would rather take Brown at 17 we are taking a tackle at 17.

As for Iupati, if he can not play Tackle so what. Stick him at guard and we dont have to worry about it for 10 years. As multiple people have said on here as well as other places practices mean more to scouts than the actual game. He dominated when at guard during the one-on-ones. Struggled on the edge as expected since he never played there.

If we are taking O-Line at 17 give me Brown or Iupati.
Originally posted by al49erfan:
I just dont like Bruce Campbell. I do not like drafting on potential. Campbell was never named to a All-ACC team in college. He only started 17 games at Maryland. Workout warror. I would take him Late first or early second, but i think i would rather take Brown at 17 we are taking a tackle at 17.

As for Iupati, if he can not play Tackle so what. Stick him at guard and we dont have to worry about it for 10 years. As multiple people have said on here as well as other places practices mean more to scouts than the actual game. He dominated when at guard during the one-on-ones. Struggled on the edge as expected since he never played there.

Iupati struggled at Guard during the Sr. Bowl as well. The holding call that cost his team a TD came when he was playing RG! He was constantly holding in every position throughout the game.

He's a big guy, with long arms, and a mean streak. But he's got a major flaw: he's slow. Speed is a talent that is hard to teach. His Combine times in the 40 and the cone drills were disappointing. And his NFL,com "analysis" after his combine performance basically says: "he's slow." He "can't get to the second level on running plays!"

The Niner's philosophy is "run first." Why would they want a Guard who cannot block LBs on run plays? Sorry, I just don't see them being interested in him in the first.

In most sports, if there is a choice to be made between a slow footed guy and a guy with natural quickness or speed, it seem wise to go with the fast guy, everything else being equal.

That being said, I wouldn't want Campbell or Iupati at #17, but if I had to choose only between them, I'd go with Campbell.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 4, 2010 at 10:48:02 ]
  • bret
  • Veteran
I agree with your thinking on Iupati, but not Campbell. If the top 4 tackles (Okung,Williams, Bulaga, and Davis) are gone, draft BPA with both top picks (Haden, Thomas, Spiller, D. Williams, etc.) and take a tackle in the second, or trade back and add picks.
The best teams consistently get the best value at their draft positions. If we don't do that, we will fall behind.
Originally posted by bret:
I agree with your thinking on Iupati, but not Campbell. If the top 4 tackles (Okung,Williams, Bulaga, and Davis) are gone, draft BPA with both top picks (Haden, Thomas, Spiller, D. Williams, etc.) and take a tackle in the second, or trade back and add picks.
The best teams consistently get the best value at their draft positions. If we don't do that, we will fall behind.

Excellent points! I agree.
Originally posted by bret:

The weakness in your argument is your assumption that there will always be someone who is willing to trade. I don't think that this is true.

You have gotten caught in the fantasy football philosophy, but in the real world its just not that easy.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Campbell has the highest potential to be a bust next to Taylor Mays.
Im hoping we don't touch either one.

Pouncey > Iupati
Saffold or Brown > Campbell
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
I'd rather have Campbell over Iupati at 17, and ill explain why.

first off all, Iupati is a Guard. if he didnt play Tackle in college theres no way he plays tackle in the pros. NONE. Secondly, against top flight competition in the senior bowl he had a sup par game by all accounts, gets caught holding far too often as well. also in a deep, deep draft as this, theres no way any team should be drafting a guard with a pick in the teens.

Campbell has better mobility than Iupati, and can play T. His technique is questionable, so if he fails to perform as a T, you put him inside at Guard and watch him maul people. I know Iupati is strong but Campbell is a beast, and more versatile. I think if the top tier T are gone by 13, we take BPA at that spot and take Campbell at 17 or move down if we think we can grab him later on.
Bruce Campbell is the tackle version of Vernon Gholston. I don't like Iupati as a tackle either but guys have made the guard in college to tackle in the pros transition successfully. Worst comes to worst with Iupati at tackle we move him back to guard and we have a top flight guard. With Campbell if he doesn't work out at tackle, he's useless
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by al49erfan:

Iupati struggled at Guard during the Sr. Bowl as well. The holding call that cost his team a TD came when he was playing RG! He was constantly holding in every position throughout the game.

He's a big guy, with long arms, and a mean streak. But he's got a major flaw: he's slow. Speed is a talent that is hard to teach. His Combine times in the 40 and the cone drills were disappointing. And his NFL,com "analysis" after his combine performance basically says: "he's slow." He "can't get to the second level on running plays!"

The Niner's philosophy is "run first." Why would they want a Guard who cannot block LBs on run plays? Sorry, I just don't see them being interested in him in the first.

In most sports, if there is a choice to be made between a slow footed guy and a guy with natural quickness or speed, it seem wise to go with the fast guy, everything else being equal.

That being said, I wouldn't want Campbell or Iupati at #17, but if I had to choose only between them, I'd go with Campbell.

Oldniner,
During the Senior Bowl,
At LG, Iupati was often blocking at the second or third level. He's fast enough.
At LG, he had no grabbing or sacks and tackles against him.
At RG, he grabbed because his feet were fouled up due to the position change to the opposite side of the line. Joe Staley said recently on ChronicleLive that changing sides of the line confuses the muscle memory.

Share 49ersWebzone