LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Okung and Mankins

Would the Zone approve of using our first three picks to manipulate a situation to end up with Okung and Mankins? Just wondering.

I'm not saying we should do this, but it would be interesting. Okung is a future star and Mankins is a LG with two probowls under his belt and years to go. It would be nice to have a vet like that to put on the same side as the rookie.

Okung-Mankins-Heitman-Rachal-Staley

We would forego getting a pass rusher in the draft, but we would get two for-sure players.

Just a thought.
I could understand the trade up for Okung, especially if he slipped into the bottom end of the top 10 for some reason, but there's no way we get Mankins. He's tendered at first and third round pick level, which basically means that the Pats are not letting him go any time soon.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd rather just draft a tackle at 13 or 17 and go with Baas for another year. I still think Baas can be a good player for us. Remember he was hurt in TC so he got off to a slow start last year.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I could understand the trade up for Okung, especially if he slipped into the bottom end of the top 10 for some reason, but there's no way we get Mankins. He's tendered at first and third round pick level, which basically means that the Pats are not letting him go any time soon.

New England can accept whatever they want for Mankins.
Originally posted by bigwads:

I know that, I still don't believe Mankins is going anywhere, at least not this season.
I'm actually in favor of trading up for Okung. OT is BY FAR our biggest need and Okung is the only tackle in this draft without a significant flaw.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I'd rather just draft a tackle at 13 or 17 and go with Baas for another year. I still think Baas can be a good player for us. Remember he was hurt in TC so he got off to a slow start last year.

I agree. He's still raw and needs solid coaching, something he should get plenty of this year.
Originally posted by bigwads:

I know that, I still don't believe Mankins is going anywhere, at least not this season.

For sure, I'm just wondering if the Zone would dig this if it happened...that's all.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I'm actually in favor of trading up for Okung. OT is BY FAR our biggest need and Okung is the only tackle in this draft without a significant flaw.

Exactly, and our staff has already said that they don't want two rookies starting. Mankins is a sage and would be valuable in many ways, not just in his play. His experience would be great for our young OL.

How is his run blocking? One of the pre drat magizines I have (SportingNews to be exact) sites it as an area of weakness saying he mostly run blocks by positioning, and not is not very physical. I think that is the way Joe Staley blocks in the run game. I don't now if I feel comfortable having two tackles with questionable physicality in the run game. I don't know if this evaluation is accurate or not, if anyone can cite anything to dispute this let me know.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:

How is his run blocking? One of the pre drat magizines I have (SportingNews to be exact) sites it as an area of weakness saying he mostly run blocks by positioning, and not is not very physical. I think that is the way Joe Staley blocks in the run game. I don't now if I feel comfortable having two tackles with questionable physicality in the run game. I don't know if this evaluation is accurate or not, if anyone can cite anything to dispute this let me know.
That could be true, but I haven't heard that before. I heard he was at least solid in all areas, excels in pass protection, and has tons of potential.
apparently in the 2005 draft we wanted logan mankins with the first pick of the second round until he went the pats with the last pick of the first round, and we end up with david baas, how things could have been different
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Draft Lupati and the best OT available with one of our two first round picks.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by mayo63:

I agree. He's still raw and needs solid coaching, something he should get plenty of this year.

Agreed. Remember that he's only entering his 6th year in the NFL. Most guards need that amount of time before you can reasonably expect production from them.
Originally posted by GORO:
Draft Lupati and the best OT available with one of our two first round picks.

I say draft best OT available at 13 and then Lupati at 17.

This way you address talent, depth and add competition at every oline spot except for LT and center. Rachal was a turnstile last year so improving at guard is a good idea as well.

Grab the best return man/ change of pace back in the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone