LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Drafting an OT and Joe Staley

Originally posted by NTeply49:
I for one don't think we NEED to draft a Tackle in the first round. Were not looking for someone to protect the blind side unless Staley goes down. We need someone to anchor the right side, and flip over to the left in the event of a Staley injury, but I don't believe we should necessarily use one of our first round picks. Especially if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Davis are gone although I'm not completely sold on Davis or Cambell.

* Mike Iupati, and I would prefer to trade back into the low to mid 20's to select him if I could. I just feel that 17 is a little to high for a guard, especially if there is a player that slides and someone wants to trade up for them.

I think there will be some value at RT available with our 49th pick. The RT's id be happy drafting in the 2nd - 3d round would be.....
Height Weight 40 Dash
Rodger Saffold Indiana 6-4⅝ 316 5.20
Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts 6-4⅜ 332 5.27
Charles Brown Southern Cal 6-5⅜ 303 5.20
Sam Young Notre Dame 6-7½ 314 5.33
Selvish Capers West Virginia 6-4⅝ 308 5.14
Lee Ziemba Auburn 6-7¼ 306
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia 6-5⅜ 308
Ciron Black LSU 6-4 327 5.42

Young and Black are my favorites from the group mentioned above because they've anchored the blind side and started for their respective teams the last 3 years and have been healthy and consistent.

Combine that with a slimmed down Boone (whom I hope will wow us this year btw but trying not to get hopes up) and it looks like we've got some young and healthy competition on our line. All im saying is I dont think we HAVE to draft OT in the first round, but if the BPA is an OT and we cant trade back pull the trigger!

Kyle Calloway, RT, Iowa
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I for one don't think we NEED to draft a Tackle in the first round. Were not looking for someone to protect the blind side unless Staley goes down. We need someone to anchor the right side, and flip over to the left in the event of a Staley injury, but I don't believe we should necessarily use one of our first round picks. Especially if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Davis are gone although I'm not completely sold on Davis or Cambell.

* Mike Iupati, and I would prefer to trade back into the low to mid 20's to select him if I could. I just feel that 17 is a little to high for a guard, especially if there is a player that slides and someone wants to trade up for them.

I think there will be some value at RT available with our 49th pick. The RT's id be happy drafting in the 2nd - 3d round would be.....
Height Weight 40 Dash

Young and Black are my favorites from the group mentioned above because they've anchored the blind side and started for their respective teams the last 3 years and have been healthy and consistent.

Combine that with a slimmed down Boone (whom I hope will wow us this year btw but trying not to get hopes up) and it looks like we've got some young and healthy competition on our line. All im saying is I dont think we HAVE to draft OT in the first round, but if the BPA is an OT and we cant trade back pull the trigger!

Kyle Calloway, RT, Iowa

I think Kyle Calloway is someone we really need to keep an eye on. Good value in the draft, and he could be just as good (if not better) as Bryan Bulaga.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

Height Weight 40 Dash

Kyle Calloway, RT, Iowa

I think Kyle Calloway is someone we really need to keep an eye on. Good value in the draft, and he could be just as good (if not better) as Bryan Bulaga.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers snag Calloway in the 3rd round. He's just a good all-around player.
oooops lol

Height Weight 40 Dash

Kyle Calloway, RT, Iowa

Nothing slips by you :)
Originally posted by PTulini:
What does drafting an OT in the 1st round potentially mean for Left OT Joe Staley? Depending on whom we draft, I think we slide Staley over to the Right OT spot. Would we trade up to get a guy (Russell Okung, Trent Williams...) and make him our Left OT? Was Joe Staley worth trading up for and drafting back in 2007?

Your thoughts on the situation in general...???

I don't think Joe is a bad player, but if we saved our pick the next year we would have had a shot at Clady. Personally I think Trent Williams is a RT so I don't think it would impact Joe as much as Okung.
Share 49ersWebzone