There are 209 users in the forums

Ajax April Mock

Originally posted by PROTIME:
Kyle Wilson over Earl Thomas

This. I really like this mock though.

[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Apr 3, 2010 at 10:34:43 ]
Nice mock. Getting Schofield late shows me you aren't as concerned about the pass rush for this year, but would cover the need long term. Like the Byham pick, too.
Solid, though I think McKnight will be at least a 3rd rd pick and could sneak into the 2nd rd.
I like it, but I would swap the 2nd and 3rd round picks. Take Gilyard at #49. He won't be there by #79.
I like that a lot actually but I think after the 2nd round the guys you have going won't be around...then again you never know.

Good job.
Would be ok with this mock
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ajax1188:
The closer we get to

1A: Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers
- Young and Athletic tackle
- Could play LT and move Staley over to RT or could just slot in at RT himself
- Has some minor work ethic/character concerns but that shouldn’t scare everyone off (Sing and our new OL coaches Solari and Brown should be able to whip him into shape by September)
- Okung, Bulaga, and Williams will most likely be gone by our pick
- Davis is ranked above Bulaga and Williams by some anyways

1B: Earl Thomas, DB Texas
- Versatile player with great athletic ability and ball skills
- Could become our center field Safety which allows Goldson to come closer to the LOS more often
- Also has the ability to play CB early on if Mike Lewis is still healthy and effective

2: John Jerry, OG Mississippi
- Big, strong mauler
- Has ability to play OT (provides great depth)
- I see him switching inside to G though

3: Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR Cincinnati
- Explosive receiver and kick returner
- Would be a great pick up in the 3rd round if he is still available

4: Donald Butler, ILB Washington

- Athletic and big bodied ILB
- Also very strong
- Perfect player to sit behind Takeo for a year and excel on special team
/quote]

This is a really solid draft. Some of my thoughts..
If we don't take a RT with our first pick because all of the elites are taken then we should at least take Iupati with our 2nd #1. With no elite RT's I wouldn't be upset if we took Haden with our first pick despite his 40time.

We could also grab our OT in the 2nd if we end up with Iupati and no OT in the first. Despite what people hope about Boone, I don't think he starts with one season to turn things around though Snyder is pretty bad...so I wouldn't be shocked midway through the season to see him.

Instead of Donald Butler, I'd rather have a strong safety to suit up behind M. Lewis. It's more of a need position with Lewis's concussions. Also, this draft is really deep at safety. I'm guessing Lewis's backup is Roman? Man, I really don't want to see Roman on the field again after this draft. Their is really no reason why we should have to continue to see him, such a weak link.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Homer pick? ha

I personally prefer Thomas, but I would be fine with Wilson as well.

Thomas has the ability to play CB or S which is pretty intriguing prospect considering our current group of DBs
i really like it except i don't think gilyard will be there in the 3rd

Originally posted by Walsh:

Instead of Donald Butler, I'd rather have a strong safety to suit up behind M. Lewis. It's more of a need position with Lewis's concussions. Also, this draft is really deep at safety. I'm guessing Lewis's backup is Roman? Man, I really don't want to see Roman on the field again after this draft. Their is really no reason why we should have to continue to see him, such a weak link.

By taking a player like Thomas he could either come in at FS and allow Goldson to take over for Mike Lewis. Lewis play has slipped a bit and his concussion history is pretty scary.

Also, Thomas could slot in at CB and either take over as our #2 or #3 right away.

Either way he would get on the field and provide depth/options at multiple positions.

And truthfully, as much as I hate Roman (And I really don't like him as a player) he isn't the worlds worst back up. He played decent in a reduced role last year.
Originally posted by Draftology:
i really like it except i don't think gilyard will be there in the 3rd

Yeah he might not be, who knows though. I would be stoked if he was there and we snagged him.

Receivers have tended to slip in recent years and hopefully the top couple slide a bit and can push the 2nd and 3rd rounders down a bit further.
Originally posted by Walsh:

By taking a player like Thomas he could either come in at FS and allow Goldson to take over for Mike Lewis. Lewis play has slipped a bit and his concussion history is pretty scary.

Also, Thomas could slot in at CB and either take over as our #2 or #3 right away.

Either way he would get on the field and provide depth/options at multiple positions.

And truthfully, as much as I hate Roman (And I really don't like him as a player) he isn't the worlds worst back up. He played decent in a reduced role last year.

I like roman on the field in Dime situations. Hes not a game breaker, but he knows what hes doing and gets other players around him in correct position. Hes a savvy vet and makes a solid contribution to our team off the bench. Great Mock, Thomas would be a great FS but is Goldson physical and durable enough to play SS? I love the idea, but it might be better value to get a player that compliments Goldson like Chad Jones from LSU in the 4th or Reshad Jones from Georgia in the 3d. Unless Thomas can play cornerback for sure, I feel we could get better value from a player like Kyle Wilson. I love Earl Thomas, but as someone said in another thread he looks like the dude from Spaceballs. Hes a quick lil s**t though.

Overall, I would be happy with your draft, but everyone has their preferences.

BTW, can anyone tell me why my post count went to zero and i cant start topics. I wrote an article I wanted to share but couldnt post. Thanks.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Homer pick? ha

I personally prefer Thomas, but I would be fine with Wilson as well.

Thomas has the ability to play CB or S which is pretty intriguing prospect considering our current group of DBs

I guess you could say it's a homer pick. I'm not going to lie. I've just seen the guy play for the last 4 years that I'm convinced he's going to one hell of a CB in the NFL. He's been the heart and soul of our defense and has the great attitude and leadership qualities you look for in a player.

He's excellent in coverage and is stronger than any CB in this years draft. With the ability to jam the more physical WR's in the NFL along with being able to keep up with the faster WR's, what more could you ask for? NFL team scouts came away from his pro-day impressed with his DB skills along with his 4.4 speed.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Earl Thomas as well. You wont see me complaining if we do draft him. I just happen to like Wilson more as a prospect. With that said I wouldn't mind taking both Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson in the first round if their are no OT's of value available. Plenty of depth in this draft to be able to land a solid RT in the 2nd round.
Not to mention Kyle Wilson is a very good PR as well. Something we've been lacking for a long time now.
Share 49ersWebzone