There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ajax April Mock

The closer we get to the draft the more it looks like Okung, Bulaga, and Williams will be off the board by 13. I also don't think that the 49ers will go with Spiller or Bryant even if they are there.

Don't get me wrong, Spiller is awesome! But he just wouldn't be getting enough touches/carries to warrant a pick that high. Bryant on the other hand has a whole bunch of issues (attitude, off the field issues, Eugene Parker, etc.) Therefore I think if the top 3 OTs are gone we might end up with a draft like this.

This is a mix between who I think will be there and what players I would want to draft in each round. Let me know what you guys think...

1A: Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers
- Young and Athletic tackle
- Could play LT and move Staley over to RT or could just slot in at RT himself
- Has some minor work ethic/character concerns but that shouldn’t scare everyone off (Sing and our new OL coaches Solari and Brown should be able to whip him into shape by September)
- Okung, Bulaga, and Williams will most likely be gone by our pick
- Davis is ranked above Bulaga and Williams by some anyways

1B: Earl Thomas, DB Texas
- Versatile player with great athletic ability and ball skills
- Could become our center field Safety which allows Goldson to come closer to the LOS more often
- Also has the ability to play CB early on if Mike Lewis is still healthy and effective

2: John Jerry, OG Mississippi
- Big, strong mauler
- Has ability to play OT (provides great depth)
- I see him switching inside to G though

3: Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR Cincinnati
- Explosive receiver and kick returner
- Would be a great pick up in the 3rd round if he is still available

4: Donald Butler, ILB Washington

- Athletic and big bodied ILB
- Also very strong
- Perfect player to sit behind Takeo for a year and excel on special teams

5: Joe McKnight, RB/PR/KR
- Athletic change of pace back
- Also has ability to return punts and kicks
- Solid depth

6: O’Brien Schoefield, OLB Wisconsin

- Injured and won’t play this year
- Insurance pick incase Brooks doesn’t produce this year or Manny jumps ship after the season

6-Com: Nate Byham, TE Pitt
- Blocking TE
- Competes for our 3rd TE roster spot

7: Al Woods, NT/DE LSU
- Competes with Balmer, Jean-Francois, Evans, etc for a roster spot
Originally posted by ajax1188:
The closer we get to the draft the more it looks like Okung, Bulaga, and Williams will be off the board by 13. I also don't think that the 49ers will go with Spiller or Bryant even if they are there.

Don't get me wrong, Spiller is awesome! But he just wouldn't be getting enough touches/carries to warrant a pick that high. Bryant on the other hand has a whole bunch of issues (attitude, off the field issues, Eugene Parker, etc.) Therefore I think if the top 3 OTs are gone we might end up with a draft like this.

This is a mix between who I think will be there and what players I would want to draft in each round. Let me know what you guys think...

1A: Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers
- Young and Athletic tackle
- Could play LT and move Staley over to RT or could just slot in at RT himself
- Has some minor work ethic/character concerns but that shouldn’t scare everyone off (Sing and our new OL coaches Solari and Brown should be able to whip him into shape by September)
- Okung, Bulaga, and Williams will most likely be gone by our pick
- Davis is ranked above Bulaga and Williams by some anyways

1B: Earl Thomas, DB Texas
- Versatile player with great athletic ability and ball skills
- Could become our center field Safety which allows Goldson to come closer to the LOS more often
- Also has the ability to play CB early on if Mike Lewis is still healthy and effective

2: John Jerry, OG Mississippi
- Big, strong mauler
- Has ability to play OT (provides great depth)
- I see him switching inside to G though

3: Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR Cincinnati
- Explosive receiver and kick returner
- Would be a great pick up in the 3rd round if he is still available

4: Donald Butler, ILB Washington

- Athletic and big bodied ILB
- Also very strong
- Perfect player to sit behind Takeo for a year and excel on special teams

5: Joe McKnight, RB/PR/KR
- Athletic change of pace back
- Also has ability to return punts and kicks
- Solid depth

6: O’Brien Schoefield, OLB Wisconsin

- Injured and won’t play this year
- Insurance pick incase Brooks doesn’t produce this year or Manny jumps ship after the season

6-Com: Nate Byham, TE Pitt
- Blocking TE
- Competes for our 3rd TE roster spot

7: Al Woods, NT/DE LSU
- Competes with Balmer, Jean-Francois, Evans, etc for a roster spot

I really like your mock; I think that the 49ers are going to take Davis at 13 if (1) he checks out with Singletary and (2) he's there. With the other pick, we are going to take the best player available. Whether that's Thomas or not is another question. Thomas is skyrocketing up the charts and may be a Top 10 Pick by draft day. So the BPA at 17 could be Spiller, Bryant, Wilson, etc.

Really like the 2nd rounder.
i really like all your picks of the mock good job
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i really like all your picks of the mock good job

Outstanding job, I would love that first round maybe more than any other logical combo. I doubt McKnight drops that far, but this looks really good to me.
Very nice mock but no way is McKnight lasting that long (maybe into round 4)

I'd rather have a pass rusher with the second 1st rounder but if all of the great ones are off the board by pick 17, then I'd be okay with Thomas.
Like it
Yours is one of the more desirable mocks that I have seen.

My thoughts:

If the team does draft for the OL in the first, it has to believe that he is a dominant player who is guaranteed to play right away. The Niners cannot afford to reach in the first just because it believes it HAS to have a offensive lineman. There will be serviceable picks in the second round too.

The team needs a game changer if it is to upgrade significantly on offense. Dez Bryant and Spiller could fit the bill and I wouldn't be upset if either were acquired. If Bryant were the pick than the Gilyard pick (if he's there) would be swapped for a LB possibly.

I like Wilson, but he will likely be gone. Kyle Wilson looks good also; he'll be there. We need DB help as a priority also.

Again. I like your thinking!
I really like the 2 offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds. Good job.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Not a big fan of Earl Thomas.
Like it bro
solid picks
I like it and would OK if it went down like this.

I am beginning to warm up to the Davis idea.. If he can stay focused and motivated he could be just what we need. I really like Thomas, he is just a baller that will give us an Ed Reed type ballhawk back end safety, enabling Goldson to move to SS.

Good job
  • PROTIME
  • Info N/A
Kyle Wilson over Earl Thomas
This would be a solid draft
I'm in an interactive mock on another website...and here's my draft so far:

#13. Anthony Davis. There were good reasons Singletary brought him to Santa Clara...one, he likes what the big guy can do on the field, and two, he's sending a message to his OT's.

#17. Mike Iupati. The big Somoan should be a fixture on our OL for years...he's listed as an OG, but word has it he's capable of playing every OL position...even C. Together w/Davis, they are a huge shot in the arm for our OL.

#49. Tyson Alualu. It was either DE or CB at this point...and I chose Alualu for several reasons. First, at 6-3, 295, he's the perfect sized DE for the 3-4. For another, he's played in the 3-4 for Jeff Tedford at Cal...and should become a fan favorite with his abilities and being a Bay Area guy. Lastly, he looks to have the requisite skills to truly be a bookend to stud Justin Smith.

My thought process is to go big up-front early...everyone knows OL is Singletary's single biggest priority, but getting a bookend to Justin Smith improves the front seven, making it easier on our secondary to make plays. CB will likely be my 3rd rd pick.