There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kevin Lynch Article on Bradford

Lynch speculated in the article that the 49ers could trade up for bradford in order to 'sell' a stadium to the fans. I don't see any way the 49ers trade up for Bradford, since the Rams are a division rival, but I do see the posibility of the 49ers trading up for Clausen if he slips to #5.

Last year, the Browns traded the #5 pick for the #17 pick and the #52...the Jets took Sanchez w/ the pick. It is entirely possible that the 49ers do the same thing.

I think Clausen will be a better QB than Bradford (Bradford busted his should the first time he was sacked in college, and he played in a pro-style offense). Clausen had to get beaten up, scramble, and find WRs downfield and played in a pro-style offense.

Now, that is not an argument to acquire Clausen. Drafting Clausen would totally destroy Smith's confidence and they might as well cut him -- we're better off taking a right tackle and a DB or pass-rusher. But if ownership is going to get a QB to sell a stadium deal, I'd rather have them trade away a #2 for Clausen than TWO #1s and a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2011.

I think Smith is going to develop into a top-10 QB (Top 5 in good years) on a team loaded with talent...not unlike Phil Simms. Simms was also a Top pick who suffered major injuries and was almost booed out of New York. But as the team got better, he learned his role. He had a career QB rating of 78.5, but had a few 3,500+/20TD+ seasons in a VERY conservative offense.

That's what we'll have with Smith: an 85 - 90 QB rating type of guy; 3,200 - 3,600 yards, ~25 TDs...with the occasional 4,000-yd/30 TD season.

Surrounded with the right people, we will be very good.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=60391
I don't see us trading up for Bradford or Clausen. If we wanted to trade we would probably go after McNabb. It would throw a lot of wrenches into the system but McNabb would be the best at this time. I personally would rather work with Smith. I think he is primed for his breakout season. He has enough receivers, good RB, and if we get our RT in place he would have an oline to work with. I see Smith as a top 15-top 10 QB this year - 2010. I don't think a 5 place jump from #19 is too much of a jump for Smith. I think he has the capability of being a quality QB now that he will have his first experience with continuity in the NFL. I am predicting significan progress for Smith this year. I also predict that SF will win the west and get into the playoffs.
well only take a qb next year if alex plays bad this year alex deserves this chance and unless we want to set this team back for another 4 years we should give him that chance
We will draft 0 QB's this year.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I don't see us trading up for Bradford or Clausen. If we wanted to trade we would probably go after McNabb. It would throw a lot of wrenches into the system but McNabb would be the best at this time. I personally would rather work with Smith. I think he is primed for his breakout season. He has enough receivers, good RB, and if we get our RT in place he would have an oline to work with. I see Smith as a top 15-top 10 QB this year - 2010. I don't think a 5 place jump from #19 is too much of a jump for Smith. I think he has the capability of being a quality QB now that he will have his first experience with continuity in the NFL. I am predicting significan progress for Smith this year. I also predict that SF will win the west and get into the playoffs.

Did you just call frank gore GOOD! BLASPHEME He's The Truth!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home