There are 170 users in the forums

CB is a greater need than OLB

First of all, you should always draft the BPA.

Having said that... we need a CB waaaaaay more than OLB.

Our CBs are:
Clements
Spencer
Brown
Paymah

We also lack a true FS, so clearly our secondary needs help.

Everyone says a good pass rush can help out a secondary, but this is true if you have enough players to field a decent secondary. The NFL is a passing league, and we need DBs to cover. As of now, we dont have enough CBs on the roster to field a decent dime package. As of now, Dre Bly is not a 49er.

I think Haden is a much better prospect than Brandon Graham, and he also fills a need, so I think Haden should be picked above Graham. He is a better prospect AND he fills a much more important need.

I think we will take Haden at 13 if he is there, even if Trent Williams is there, and we may end up drafting Anthony Davis at 17. I would much rather prefer Williams at 13 and maybe Earl Thomas at 17, but I think CB need is such a serious issue, that the niners will be forced to draft Haden at 13.

[ Edited by calbear on Mar 30, 2010 at 23:12:37 ]
we do need more db's, hopefully we get one with some good return ability, plus is goldson a strong safety or a free safety going forward cus we all know with m lewis's concussions and salary he isnt a long term answer
Kyle Wilson. You might as well hop on the bandwagon of a future 49er.

[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Mar 30, 2010 at 23:50:28 ]
forget the bandwagon i'm gonna jump on kyle wilson's boise state tour bus

Hopefully he can represent Boise State like Clady has done so far in the NFL. We are starting to get some good players in the NFL and it's nice to see. Wilson IMO has the potential to be the best of the bunch.
I think I said this HERE yesterday...
Yeah, always take the BPA and then you end up like the Lions picking a wide out 3 years in a row.

I think we have an average pass rush and db core and in my opinion you always start with the lines and then the secondary.

I don't care how good a cover guy your are, you are not going to cover a guy if the qb has all day to look over the field.

Pressure makes it so a db has to cover for less time and usually means shorter pass routes / yards per completion, and less accurate passes (int's and incompletions).
I'm starting to think that the second tier CBs in the 2nd and 3rd might be a better way to go and go for:

JPP or Graham or Kindle with the 17th
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm starting to think that the second tier CBs in the 2nd and 3rd might be a better way to go and go for:

JPP or Graham or Kindle with the 17th

id rather go corner. our pass rush is top 3. only weakness is secondary cant cover too long. so we would have more sacks.
Who's Paymah?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Who's Paymah?

Originally posted by rk1642:
I think we have an average pass rush and db corps and in my opinion you always start with the lines and then the secondary. I don't care how good a cover guy your are, you are not going to cover a guy if the qb has all day to look over the field.

Two schools of thought on which is more important - coverage or pass rush. I tend to agree with rk in that a strong rush on the QB makes life easier for the DB's. Let's see how Baalke plays it.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Yeah, always take the BPA and then you end up like the Lions picking a wide out 3 years in a row.

I think we have an average pass rush and db core and in my opinion you always start with the lines and then the secondary.

I don't care how good a cover guy your are, you are not going to cover a guy if the qb has all day to look over the field.

Pressure makes it so a db has to cover for less time and usually means shorter pass routes / yards per completion, and less accurate passes (int's and incompletions).

We dont have an avg DB core at all. Thats the problem. Our current DBs are not the same ones that we had last year. Bly is not on the roster. We only have 4 healthy guys, and only one of them has ever started. And we lack a true FS.

Its not like we are taking last years secondary and adding a pass rush. We dont have last years secondary. Its gotten worse.
Read this and tell me you absolutely don't want to draft an OLB:

99-Manny Lawson: Oddly, he did not attend (OTA's). Even more strange, when asked if there was anything that should be known about his client's absence, agent Jonathan Feinsod replied via email, "No comment." I can't think of a football reason Lawson would not attend. He is entering the final year of his contract.

If we take one or the other, I wouldn't mind if we get a Kyle Wilson, Joe Haden, Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Read this and tell me you absolutely don't want to draft an OLB:

99-Manny Lawson: Oddly, he did not attend (OTA's). Even more strange, when asked if there was anything that should be known about his client's absence, agent Jonathan Feinsod replied via email, "No comment." I can't think of a football reason Lawson would not attend. He is entering the final year of his contract.

If we take one or the other, I wouldn't mind if we get a Kyle Wilson, Joe Haden, Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes.

I agree homie that why I wish they could have addressed the o line in free agency but there just wasn't a player out their to fill that hole. I think a CB and OLB need to be drafted high as they will be Clements, and Lawson's replacements after this season. Now that I think about it Parys got an extension and the team just tendered Brooks who replaces Manny on 3rd downs. I think Manny and his agent see the writing on the wall especially with Willisi,VD and Goldson all needng extensions.
Share 49ersWebzone