There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why don't they run 40 times in pads?

Why don't they run 40 times in pads?

Just wondering, kind of seems pointless to test in running shorts.

some guys can carry the weight better when in pads than others. For instance, Mike Mayock is befuddled that Dez Bryant ran a 4.52 when he 'looks so much faster' on tape. At 6 ft 2, 225 lbs, Dez Bryant looks more like T.O. than anyone else (maybe Herman Moore).

So, why not run them in pads???
They do it specifically to annoy you.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
They do it specifically to annoy you.

lol
You talking about Maxi Pads?
The running in shorts thing is to make sure they can run fast enough for the rookie hazing rituals. It really has nothing to do with on the field aptitude.

The question that should be asked is, why aren't they forced to run naked while trying to hold lunch meat between their thighs? Now that would tell us something.

If guys have been running without pads for the past 20 + years how would you compare the new guys if you suddenly start running with them? You are not comparing apples to apples anymore. Now it's an apple to an orange. One of the best things about the running is you can compare them to previous guys like Chris Johnson's 4.24 or Reggie Bush's 4.33. If you put pads on these guys you have no idea how they compare to past guys.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 30, 2010 at 14:06:20 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

If guys have been running without pads for the past 20 + years how would you compare the new guys if you suddenly start running with them? You are not comparing apples to apples anymore. Now it's an apple to an orange. One of the best things about the running is you can compare them to previous guys like Chris Johnson's 4.24 or Reggie Bush's 4.33. If you put pads on these guys you have no idea how they compare to past guys.

I'm all for consistency, but why did they ever run in shorts. Who cares if 185-pound Ted Ginn ran a 4.37 in shorts...he's slow in pads.
My ideas for increasing relevance:

For WRs and TEs, they should have them line up in a stance like they're on the LOS. None of this sprinter's stance garbage. No. Run a 40 yard go and we'll time you.

For RBs, we line you up 10 yards behind the line, have a QB hand you the ball and start timing you when you cross the imaginary LOS.

For QB's, do a 7-step drop, tuck the ball and run. We'll start timing you when you cross the LOS.

For OL, line up in your stance, pull along the LOS for 10 yards, then turn upfield and run 40.

For DBs, you backpedal for 15 yards, open up your hips, and sprint for 25 yards.

For LBs, you backpedal for 5 yards, open up your hips, and sprint for 35 yards.

For DEs, get in your stance and run a 40 yard bull rush.

For DTs, don't even bother.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You see the problem with your logic is that you assume that having them run with pads would replace having them run without pads. They could do this on two seperate days. They could request pad times at Pro Days for the noteworthy prospects already timed at the combine. If I were a player like Spiller, McCluster, or Bryant I would jump at that chance.
Make em run both.
I have been wondering the same thing for years, not only the 40, but the shuttle as well.

When you make a change, you need to start somewhere. They didn't always have these combines and 40 times before, but as it was mentioned still a use a 40 time w/o and index the the two to see how much dropoff there is. However, as a reference you could use people from your own team as comparison-say like Vernon Davis. I think this will affect RB WR and CD and maybe LB the most.

Besides, the 40 times from this year was so messed up anyway. are they still using stop watches or are they timing them with a starters block and electronic timers? Anyone know?