LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

#2 PRIORITY? We must draft a CB in round one.

I am confident we will find some help at CB with one of our first 4 picks
Huckleberry isn't gonna like this but i agree the CB depth is not good at all.
in my dream scenerio i would love spiller then thomas and in the 2nd get a rt. you can find rts capable of being a main staple on your team for yrs to come and do a solid to awesome job if you hit. then in the 4th get a guard
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by genus49:
This draft is very deep at corner and it's far from our #2 need.

Improve the pass rush and you get better corner play. It's a proven fact.

We do need a corner though, Clemens is probably not here next year. So, either take one high this year or next year.

I agree and I think we will got some combination of DB/OT/HB with our first three picks. It's between Haden/Thomas/Mays/Wilson, Williams/Brown/Veldheer, Best/Spiller/McC
I think we can upgrade the corner position in rounds 2-3.

An OT to solidify the Oline is our first choice but I'd go with a pass rusher with our second 1st rounder.

An improved pass rush helps a secondary. If you give a QB time in the pocket he can pick apart the best of secondaries.
CB would be nice, and this would be the perfect year to draft one, since he won't have to play right away. I would be mad if we reach for one, just for the sake of drafting a CB, especially if there was a better Guard, Tackle, Pass Rusher, or SS sitting there. We need to draft the best talent available at our positions of need with our 1st rounders.
Originally posted by calbear:
I tend to agree.... In fact, even if we draft a CB, I still think we need to add a CB, whether Dre Bly or someone else.

If Trent Williams, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas are there at 13 who do you take?

Trent Williams at 13
Kyle Wilson at 17 assuming Haden and Thomas are gone.

+1
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by calbear:
I tend to agree.... In fact, even if we draft a CB, I still think we need to add a CB, whether Dre Bly or someone else.

If Trent Williams, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas are there at 13 who do you take?

Trent Williams at 13
Kyle Wilson at 17 assuming Haden and Thomas are gone.

+1

The titans sign tye hill today so maybe their is a chance that haden slides to #17.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Why not get all 3 positions this board thinks has merit to draft?
#13- Spiller- RB/KR
#17-Wilson- CB/PR
trade 2011 first round + to NE. for their #22 this yr?
#22- Charles Brown- OT
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Why not get all 3 positions this board thinks has merit to draft?
#13- Spiller- RB/KR
#17-Wilson- CB/PR
trade 2011 first round + to NE. for their #22 this yr?
#22- Charles Brown- OT

why not trade 13 down to 22 add an extra second and take J best in the second round then they can keep the 2011 first round pick.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
This draft is very deep at corner and it's far from our #2 need.

Improve the pass rush and you get better corner play. It's a proven fact.

this. Also better value in the 2nd and 3rd.
I agree CB is a need for this team. My question is how does Kyle Wilson and Joe Haden stack up with following 1st round cornerbacks from previous years? I haven't seen Kyle Wilson played and all I know about Joe Haden is that he shut down some really good SEC wrs but ran poorly in the combine. Who does these guys most resemble from the previous cornerbacks?

Malcom Jenkins- Ohio St
Vontae Davis- Illinois

Leotis McKelvin- Troy St
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie- Tennessee St
Aqib Talib- Kansas
Mike Jenkins- South Florida
Antoine Cason- Arizona
Kenny Phillips- Miami

Darrelle Revis- Pitt
Leon Hall- Michigan

Donte Whitner- Ohio St
Tye Hill- Clemson
Jason Allen- Tennessee
Antonio Cromartie- FSU
Jonathan Joseph- South Carolina
Kelly Jennings- Miami
We have two starters in Spencer & Clements, along with fair depth in Brown(who started some games in 09) & Paymah.

The 49ers need to address they're true needs in round one, while still drafting the BPA . In this draft Haden is the only CB I see the 49ers having high on they're board, and there's a good chance he will be gone by 13. In my opinion if the 49ers address the OL, Pash rush, or return game in round 1 they should target a DB in round 2, plenty of solid guys should be available there.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Mar 31, 2010 at 10:50:29 ]
Originally posted by Slippy509:
Originally posted by WiL7:
I really hope this draft pans out with us ending up with a DB in the first or good value for one in the second. Still like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson, both seem to be talented corners who take pride in their coverage. Do like the upside from Pat Robinson FSU because I do believe we NEED fast, aggressive corners. We tend to fair well versus teams with big strong receivers (except owen daniels te texans, reggie wayne wr colts, justin gage wr titans) but we get MURDERED by the smaller, quicker, and faster receivers. Examples are in our losses: Roddy White 210 yds 2tds, Greg Jennings 126 yds 1td, and Desean Jackson 140 yds 1 td. If we could get one guy to stick on the Percy Harvins and Desean Jacksons than our already sick Defense should be a top 10 if not top 5 D's in the league...

We were killed by some top receivers, but TEs killed us more. That is due to our pass coverage with TEs which is our LB core.

You know, that's the evalution of the spread offense into the NFL. You no longer can afford to just have a SS that is a run stopper. They ave to be able to cover too. I really think you need safeties that can cover slot receivers and TEs. The
beauty of the 3-4 when played correctly is that your LBs can stop the run, and free up DBs to cover receivers.
I think safety is more of a need. Lewis is one concussion away from retirement.
Share 49ersWebzone