LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

#2 PRIORITY? We must draft a CB in round one.

My 2¢...

So earlier this month, I was on the "take Spiller & the best available OT" bandwagon like many others.

It made sense- we have two first round picks, so why not take the sexy running back to give us that extra dimension on offense and then shore up the offensive line? The 49ers just may be able to start outscoring opponents with an extra weapon like Spiller on offense.

But then I read the OTA reports and it dawns on me... we are short as hell at CB. Who do we have right now?
• An aging, expensive Nate Clements
• A suddenly consistent Shawntae Spencer
• An old-and-slightly-busted Walt Harris
• A spotty Tarrell Brown (see SF @ GB, 2009)

That's it. No Dre Bly. No Marcus Hudson. No Donald Strickland. We've got Keith Smith and Karl Paymah, but it's not like the 49ers can rely on them in the clutch.

So it's pretty simple- we need a new starter at corner. We need someone who can play in nickel and dime packages this season and eventually move to a starting position.

#1 PRIORITY is OT. #2 PRIORITY has to be CB. We can't afford to enter the season with the players we have at corner. I say draft CB Joe Haden or CB/KR Kyle Wilson along with an OT. It's the smartest decision I could come up with for the 2010 Draft.

And... I'm finished.

[ Edited by NickSh49 on Mar 30, 2010 at 00:08:04 ]
I would love to trade down and maybe gain a pick and get Devin Mcourty
I tend to agree.... In fact, even if we draft a CB, I still think we need to add a CB, whether Dre Bly or someone else.

If Trent Williams, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas are there at 13 who do you take?

Trent Williams at 13
Kyle Wilson at 17 assuming Haden and Thomas are gone.

[ Edited by calbear on Mar 30, 2010 at 00:41:14 ]
Agreed, some may think cb is not as big of a need but I agree with you here.. Williams and Haden would be amazing
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
I still think spiller at 13. He fills 2 holes for us, and he can make an immediate impact on special teams. We had one of the worst return teams last year. With just one punt, we immediatly lost field position. As a backup RB, he can give us some needed production. When Gore was out last season, we were hurting bad. Coffee did not produce like I thought he would. Plus, a team today needs 2 solid backs.
At pick 17, we go OT. This draft is deep in tackles.
We go for DBs in the later rounds.
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
I really hope this draft pans out with us ending up with a DB in the first or good value for one in the second. Still like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson, both seem to be talented corners who take pride in their coverage. Do like the upside from Pat Robinson FSU because I do believe we NEED fast, aggressive corners. We tend to fair well versus teams with big strong receivers (except owen daniels te texans, reggie wayne wr colts, justin gage wr titans) but we get MURDERED by the smaller, quicker, and faster receivers. Examples are in our losses: Roddy White 210 yds 2tds, Greg Jennings 126 yds 1td, and Desean Jackson 140 yds 1 td. If we could get one guy to stick on the Percy Harvins and Desean Jacksons than our already sick Defense should be a top 10 if not top 5 D's in the league...
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WiL7:
I really hope this draft pans out with us ending up with a DB in the first or good value for one in the second. Still like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson, both seem to be talented corners who take pride in their coverage. Do like the upside from Pat Robinson FSU because I do believe we NEED fast, aggressive corners. We tend to fair well versus teams with big strong receivers (except owen daniels te texans, reggie wayne wr colts, justin gage wr titans) but we get MURDERED by the smaller, quicker, and faster receivers. Examples are in our losses: Roddy White 210 yds 2tds, Greg Jennings 126 yds 1td, and Desean Jackson 140 yds 1 td. If we could get one guy to stick on the Percy Harvins and Desean Jacksons than our already sick Defense should be a top 10 if not top 5 D's in the league...

We were killed by some top receivers, but TEs killed us more. That is due to our pass coverage with TEs which is our LB core.
Haden at #17 is a no-brainer. I'd also be okay with a safety like Earl Thomas in the 1st. There's a lot of good CB depth in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

[ Edited by sspiker on Mar 30, 2010 at 05:03:26 ]
I agree and I think Kyle Wilson would look very good in a Niners uniform, assuming we can get a tackle at 13. If we don't get a tackle (or Joe Haden) at 13 then all bets are off.
I think there will be some good corners in round 2 & 3 for us to get.

Originally posted by NickSh49:
My 2¢...

So earlier this month, I was on the "take Spiller & the best available OT" bandwagon like many others.

It made sense- we have two first round picks, so why not take the sexy running back to give us that extra dimension on offense and then shore up the offensive line? The 49ers just may be able to start outscoring opponents with an extra weapon like Spiller on offense.

But then I read the OTA reports and it dawns on me... we are short as hell at CB. Who do we have right now?
• An aging, expensive Nate Clements
• A suddenly consistent Shawntae Spencer
• An old-and-slightly-busted Walt Harris
• A spotty Tarrell Brown (see SF @ GB, 2009)

That's it. No Dre Bly. No Marcus Hudson. No Donald Strickland. We've got Keith Smith and Karl Paymah, but it's not like the 49ers can rely on them in the clutch.

So it's pretty simple- we need a new starter at corner. We need someone who can play in nickel and dime packages this season and eventually move to a starting position.

#1 PRIORITY is OT. #2 PRIORITY has to be CB. We can't afford to enter the season with the players we have at corner. I say draft CB Joe Haden or CB/KR Kyle Wilson along with an OT. It's the smartest decision I could come up with for the 2010 Draft.

And... I'm finished.

I agree; I am not worried about our ability to get a DB in the first round worth the pick, but I am worried about OT. I think that the best tackles will be gone by 13 and we will either have to reach, trade down, or get one in the 2nd round.
This draft is very deep at corner and it's far from our #2 need.

Improve the pass rush and you get better corner play. It's a proven fact.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know looking at the Spiller clips he really looks dinky. I'd love to get Haden at 13 then take an OT at 17. Taking Spiller to me is too much of a risk at a position of strength.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
This draft is very deep at corner and it's far from our #2 need.

Improve the pass rush and you get better corner play. It's a proven fact.

We do need a corner though, Clemens is probably not here next year. So, either take one high this year or next year.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. My dream draft would be 13 Trent williams and at 17 Joe Haden but i could also live with 13 Williams/Haden 17 Wilson/Brown. I was the one who started the cj spiller thread and i have now change my mind. If all fails than i say we go after perrish cox or kareem jackson in the second.
Share 49ersWebzone