LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

• LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
I think all of you make valid points but in my opinion i go with dez..he can help with the ST just as much as CJ and as someone mentioned dez would be on the field all the time.. now dont get me wrong i love cj spiller in fact i wouldnt be upset one bit if we took CJ over Dez.. but if we wanted to we could pick Dez if he falls to us and we can still have a 3 back system by taking either jahvid best or dexter mccluster in the later rounds..we improve our offense on ST,running game and WR's..and still use our other 1st rounder on OL..
I have a feeling both these dudes will be gone by the time we pick anyway.
this from Peter King's mailbag today on SI.com pretty much says it all re: Spiller:

From Gordon of San Antonio: "Why is everyone forecasting a running back as a need for the Niners? Don't they have Frank Gore with a good back up in Glen Coffee?''

Sure, and they love Gore. But he's had four major surgeries in his football career, he's topped out at 260 carries as a peak in his last three years, and they don't really have a speed threat out of the backfield.--Peter King
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Bryant forgot to bring his spikes to run during his PRO DAY.
That guy is a DUMB A$$!!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Spiller- unanimous 1st team ALL-AMERICAN kick returner.
- scored 51 TDs
-He is 1 of only 2 players,[Reggie Bush is the other] in NCAA history to gain 3000yds rushing
-1500 kickoff return
- 1000 recieving
-500 punt return
-8 kickoff returns for TDs
-21 career TDs of 50yds or more
- only player in the nation with a TD in every game in 09", 14 games in a row
-2 TD passes
- 1.46 seconds 10 yd split time of 40 yd dash
Dez Bryant could'nt carry CJ.'s cleates.

he is a 1 year wonder at RB look at his stats other than last year they are not that good not to mention his avg is only 5.5 yds per play i know people will say he split time but do u really want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who couldnt even be a full time starter in college?

YES!!!

it would be a waste of his talent and our pick he wont get more than 15 touches a game waste of money and draft pick dez bryabt would be on the field every offensive play would help our whole offense less people in box and us having 3 legit weapons would be huge

I agree with you on two things Dez would be on the field more and he has had only 1 good year. However, I remember a T. Davis who played behind Hearst and Walker only to become a multi probowler.

What he does bring is match up problems. Providing the O.C. knows how to do that. With Gore in the game, VD and two WR your best cover people will be watching these three. Send him in motion and wide and you got match up problems cause you no longer 7 or eight in the box, and gore can run. LB must cover cause the saftey will cover one of the three and the other saftey will probably double one of the above three. You do this on first and second down when the other team is in base package. VD and still end up staying in to block on either Running or passing plays to throw them off.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
You know what's funny? The people who are defending Spiller's "one year wonder" status and saying "he had to split carries with James Davis" fail to realize that in San Francisco, he would have to split carries once again. Except instead of James Davis, you have a top 5 back who should be getting 25 touches a game, therefore reverting Spiller back to what he was his first 3 years in college.
That guy is a DUMB A$$!!

LOL i just finished watching path to the draft and he kept slipping over and over
Originally posted by Ether:
You know what's funny? The people who are defending Spiller's "one year wonder" status and saying "he had to split carries with James Davis" fail to realize that in San Francisco, he would have to split carries once again. Except instead of James Davis, you have a top 5 back who should be getting 25 touches a game, therefore reverting Spiller back to what he was his first 3 years in college.

Except Frank isn't a top 5 back. And his status as a top 10 back is not a lock for much longer either. He NEEDS help, rather he wants to admit it, rather the team wants to admit it, rather fans want to admit it.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

Except Frank isn't a top 5 back. And his status as a top 10 back is not a lock for much longer either. He NEEDS help, rather he wants to admit it, rather the team wants to admit it, rather fans want to admit it.

ya he does need help FIX THE O LINE how many top 6 or 7 backs can run like he did behind a bottom 5 OL?
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Look at the injury history & how many times the players moved from position to new position all most weekly.(niner talk) The question is , do we lack talent or continuity due to injury?

Spiller is the better gamebreaker. But quite frankly I'm not convinced he will be available at #13.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
That guy is a DUMB A$$!!

LOL i just finished watching path to the draft and he kept slipping over and over

Im surprised that there was nobody there to remind him lol
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
That guy is a DUMB A$$!!

With that kind of $$$ on the line for his only proday workout , Poor excuse.., what's he got an agent for.?
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
That guy is a DUMB A$$!!

With that kind of $$$ on the line for his only proday workout , Poor excuse.., what's he got an agent for.?

Yeah no joke. Not too smart. Watch it drop his draft stock and he falls right into our Niner-loving laps like Crabtree haha

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Mar 31, 2010 at 13:03:54 ]
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

ya he does need help FIX THE O LINE how many top 6 or 7 backs can run like he did behind a bottom 5 OL?

You got part of it right, the other is in the begining of the season, the game plan was so vanilla even a blond chick could guess what was coming. change those two and he's back up there.
Share 49ersWebzone