There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

If we get an OT at 13, and Dez Bryant is available at 17, (which several circles feel he will slide this far), I am willing to put up with his agent and prima donna attitude for his ability opposoite Crabtree.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for cupcheck.
Spiller - team captain
-Deans list
graduated in 3.5 yrs.
-1st ALL ACC academic
Bryant- dumb a$$
- another TO in the making

no thanks
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Spiller- unanimous 1st team ALL-AMERICAN kick returner.
- scored 51 TDs
-He is 1 of only 2 players,[Reggie Bush is the other] in NCAA history to gain 3000yds rushing
-1500 kickoff return
- 1000 recieving
-500 punt return
-8 kickoff returns for TDs
-21 career TDs of 50yds or more
- only player in the nation with a TD in every game in 09", 14 games in a row
-2 TD passes
- 1.46 seconds 10 yd split time of 40 yd dash
Dez Bryant could'nt carry CJ.'s cleates.

he is a 1 year wonder at RB look at his stats other than last year they are not that good not to mention his avg is only 5.5 yds per play i know people will say he split time but do u really want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who couldnt even be a full time starter in college?

YES!!!

it would be a waste of his talent and our pick he wont get more than 15 touches a game waste of money and draft pick dez bryabt would be on the field every offensive play would help our whole offense less people in box and us having 3 legit weapons would be huge

21 career TDs of 50yds or more, he dosen't need many touches does he. Flank him out, or throw him swing & screan passes, put him in motion, and he will help the whole offense becuase less people in the box. The differance in our views is, Gore will have fresher legs a & a longer career.

I like spiller but if I'm picking and you have Dez Bryant or Spiller, Bryant from day one is going to be your starting WR he will play every snap of the ball that there are 2 WR on the field Spiller will be stiting on the bench watching Gore play and then coming in for one or two seires a game thats it. as for his 21 TD of 50 yds or more so what Bush was awsome in College I thuoght he was going to run passed everyone in the NFL. and i couldn't have been more wrong. he isn't half the player he was at USC now that he is in the NFL. he has some great plays here and there but the disappears form game to game. I'm not sure what Spiller is going to do. is he going to be the next Michael Bennett? next Bush? or next Chris Johnson? and next yr there will be another RB and WR that look awsome.
If we get an OT at 13, and Dez Bryant is available at 17, (which several circles feel he will slide this far), I am willing to put up with his agent and prima donna attitude for his ability opposoite Crabtree.
Thats a pretty tough question.

I'll go with CJ Spiller, we know what his measurables are and I think he has less risk to bust.

But If Dez didn't get suspended, I think he would clearly be a top 10 pick and possibly top 5 (and may still be).

Obviously Dez Bryant's workout tommorow (30th) will have a major impact. Not only to get some concrete measurables, but also to see how he takes care of himself after the suspension could speak volumes on his maturity.

But it also really depends on which player is more suited for a team's given scheme. IMO, CJ Spiller fits our scheme better and can provide much needed return game. Thats assuming our scouts feel he can play reciever 5-6 plays a game, carry 5-6 times a game, and do returns.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 29, 2010 at 19:52:52 ]
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
If Spiller were able to get 15 touches a game, wouldn't he be able to make the bigger impact? That's a pretty bad argument considering no receiver is touching the ball that many times, certainly not a slot receiver which is what Bryant would be.

then by your arguement you are saying spiller >fitzgerald andre johnson etc because they dont touch the ball that much

the point is dez bryant presence on the field would be huge means more guys out of the box frees up VD and Craba and gore much more

But, Fitz and Johnson are every down players and there is no guanrantee that Dez would be for us. While I think he is better than Josh Morgan by a wide margin, I also know the emphasis the team puts on receivers needing to block. And if they decide that his downfiled blocking isn't up to snuff, then Dez might not see the field. (see, Hill, Jason)
Give me Spiller. You guys are whining that he'd only see the ball 15 times a game at most, but that's 2-3 times as much as Dez would ever see it with the weapons we have. If we gave Spiller 7-10 carries, or 3-4 receptions, and then KR and PR duty, we're giving an elite athlete who runs fast on the field too the ball a lot of times. We're missing that home run threat. Bryant is a duplicate of Crabtree IMO, except less polished. We don't have a 40 time on the guy, he's only an inch taller, and Crab had better hands/runs better routes. If we were to pick a WR I'd want a freak of an athlete like Demariyus Thomas if he slips to the 2nd(which he probably wont) or a stretch the field type like Golden Tate/Jacoby Ford. Otherwise we could get a guy like Shipley/Decker in the 3rd/4th or find other guys with potential. Spiller is a huge talent, I don't want to see us pass him up.
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Give me Spiller. You guys are whining that he'd only see the ball 15 times a game at most, but that's 2-3 times as much as Dez would ever see it with the weapons we have. If we gave Spiller 7-10 carries, or 3-4 receptions, and then KR and PR duty, we're giving an elite athlete who runs fast on the field too the ball a lot of times. We're missing that home run threat. Bryant is a duplicate of Crabtree IMO, except less polished. We don't have a 40 time on the guy, he's only an inch taller, and Crab had better hands/runs better routes. If we were to pick a WR I'd want a freak of an athlete like Demariyus Thomas if he slips to the 2nd(which he probably wont) or a stretch the field type like Golden Tate/Jacoby Ford. Otherwise we could get a guy like Shipley/Decker in the 3rd/4th or find other guys with potential. Spiller is a huge talent, I don't want to see us pass him up.

I agree. Spiller comes in and fills 2 roles and is insurance to gore. WE WILL NOT DRAFT ANOTHER WR IN THE !ST ROUND. WE ARE NOT DETROIT. I saw earlier mention to splitting time in college. Well, it worked out for felix jones and ronnie brown. If spiller is at 13, we take him.
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Just to clarify...we need a second back and a kick returner. Why not draft the one guy whom is the best at BOTH?
Originally posted by Slippy509:
Just to clarify...we need a second back and a kick returner. Why not draft the one guy whom is the best at BOTH?

Because people think Gore will last forever...
this is not a vote for spiller by any means but worth considering:

talent-wise crabs/davis/bryant would be amazing.

attitude-wise splitting passes between crabs/davis/bryant is a recipe for disaster. those three don't stay on the same team together for more than eight games before it all goes to sh!t.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by Slippy509:

Because people think Gore will last forever...

Gore's career is on 1/2 tank.

I'll be surprised if he's still our feature back in 2012.
Spiller, by far. Both would be luxury picks, but Spiller is more versitile. In addition to resting Gore, you can line both up in the backfield and motion Spiller out; no more 9-man fronts for Gore. You can line him up in the slot; they're going to have to put more than just a linebacker on him. He can attack the edge so Gore can attack in between the tackles. And he's the best returner in the draft.

If Gore is our best player on offense, let's use our luxury pick to make him even better: by resting him with a true change-of-pace back and by opening up the field for him with the presence of a playmaker.

Though Spiller would get more touches than Bryant, I agree it's silly to compare the two because its all about presence. However, I think Spiller's versitility makes his presence more impactful than just another receiver on the line.

Bottom line is that the most successful teams in the NFL have a mutli-back system. We do not. It's time to change that, and Spiller is the absolute perfect opportunity to do so.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

By that metric (number of touches for a RB vs. a WR), EVERY RB is better than EVERY WR.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Spiller, by far. Both would be luxury picks, but Spiller is more versitile. In addition to resting Gore, you can line both up in the backfield and motion Spiller out; no more 9-man fronts for Gore. You can line him up in the slot; they're going to have to put more than just a linebacker on him. He can attack the edge so Gore can attack in between the tackles. And he's the best returner in the draft.

If Gore is our best player on offense, let's use our luxury pick to make him even better: by resting him with a true change-of-pace back and by opening up the field for him with the presence of a playmaker.

Though Spiller would get more touches than Bryant, I agree it's silly to compare the two because its all about presence. However, I think Spiller's versitility makes his presence more impactful than just another receiver on the line.

Bottom line is that the most successful teams in the NFL have a mutli-back system. We do not. It's time to change that, and Spiller is the absolute perfect opportunity to do so.

If you're worried about 9-man fronts, you would want Dez. Two solid WRs would force many defenses into a cover 2, which is a 7-man front.