LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Niners contacted Clausen?

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm not against taking Clausen if he falls. Seriously how many years are they gonna be going through this with Alex Smith. If he fails this year than you already have Clausen with a year under his belt. and if Smith pans out then you can trade Clausen. Having more than one good qb is never a bad thing. Problem is Niners been looking 7 years just to find one.

Exactly what I have already said. Tthis is why we should strongly consider taking him if he is there at 13, and why we should bring him in for a workout to get a closer look at him.

If Clausen is there at #13 it should be an easy pick for the Niners, cause he'd be BPA if he falls that far.

Then deal with what to do after TC: cut somebody? Or maybe somebody (Davis or Clausen) develops a physical problem that puts them on IR for the year so the team could keep all 4 QBs.

It would be a nice problem to have. IMHO.

I'm not sold on Clausen, but I will say Jimmy's physical mechanics far exceed Alex Smith's, and that alone would be exposed within the first 2 weeks of training camp.

Jimmy is a 1st day starter simply due to the fact that he had Charlie Weis as his offensive mentor in college (and played in a pro-styled offense), the kid would fit into our system pretty good and pick things up pretty fast.

But seriously though (and I hate to get into cosmetics), I'm tired of watching a 49ers game on TV and seeing the camera close-up on this metal-faced drunk-looking dude with dopey eyes under center (that looks like he doesn't know what he's doing but is our QB cause we 'feel' sorry for him).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Apr 10, 2010 at 01:14:28 ]
Because he won't fall to 13 most likely, and the Niners FO doesn't have the balls to trade up. Do any of you guys think we have a chance to get Mccoy in the 2nd round?
Who cares this guy wont save the franchise anyways we have more needs at other positions anyways i want to win right now not 3 or 4 years from now by then it might be to late all of young guys might be on their way out.
Originally posted by bracus:
Because he won't fall to 13 most likely, and the Niners FO doesn't have the balls to trade up. Do any of you guys think we have a chance to get Mccoy in the 2nd round?

You aren't serious about complaining that we haven't got the balls to trade up for him, are you? Please tell me that was just an idle whimsy.
I don't want either of them, so I'm glad the odds are that we won't.
No that is def one of my complaints. We have a good enough team to make some noise in the playoffs, but we won't win a superbowl. I've seen 1 team since I've watched football win a superbowl with a less than average QB. My point is this, we're on pace to contend for a championship 1-3 years from now. Say Alex doesn't pan out this season. We have to draft a QB next season, throw him to the sharks and watch him gather the experience to win that he could have had this year, holding a clipboard. Unless we pick up a free agent QB next season
Tom Brady-Will def re-sign with pats
P Manning - Same
D. McNabb - We didn't want him now, won't want him then
B. Favre - will either go Vikes or retire.
which leaves people like Vick, Volek, Hasslebeck, Pennington.

So basically my point is, we're delaying our hopes of winning by a year if we don't draft a QB now or Alex doesn't pan out. We've been waiting 15 years for another ring. How much longer can you go without a problem?
[ Edited by bracus on Apr 11, 2010 at 11:42 AM ]
No that is def one of my complaints. We have a good enough team to make some noise in the playoffs, but we won't win a superbowl. I've seen 1 team since I've watched football win a superbowl with a less than average QB. My point is this, we're on pace to contend for a championship 1-3 years from now. Say Alex doesn't pan out this season. We have to draft a QB next season, throw him to the sharks and watch him gather the experience to win that he could have had this year, holding a clipboard. Unless we pick up a free agent QB next season
P Manning - Same

So basically my point is, we're delaying our hopes of winning by a year if we don't draft a QB now or Alex doesn't pan out. We've been waiting 15 years for another ring. How much longer can you go without a problem?

We've had a new offensive coordinator basically every year save last year, and the QB situation hasn't been ideal as well with someone new seemingly starting every year due to injury, the OC (Martz) or whatever. I for one would just like to see one year with the same OC and the same QB and then go from there. I don't think I could stomach another overhaul and have to go through another rebuilding year with a rookie QB who, like nearly all rookie QBs, will suck his first year. Not to mention, I don't believe Clausen will even be a good QB in the NFL.
Nate Davis anyone?? Why another now?
P Manning - Same

If Alex doesn't burst onto the scene this year, Nate Davis will be entering his 3rd year, ready to compete to be the starter. We can then draft a QB next year -- Davis and Carr compete -- Davis will probably win, and then we have insurance for him.
P Manning - Same

There is a limit to the number of development qb's you can carry.

I don't mind the idea of taking Clausen with, say, the 17th. Not keen, you understand, but so-so. But when you talk of trading up for him, with all our other needs, that makes my blood run cold.

P Manning - Same

Why not wait and see if we make the playoffs before worrying about winning a Super Bowl.

The team has made progress under Singletary, but still has a ways to go.

Singletary has addressed the QB situation, drafting Davis last year and bringing in Carr this year. Both those guys have the arm to fit Singletary's vision of the offense, and who knows how they'll perform when they get the chance.

Smith himself showed some signs of life last season, and returns wih the same OC and the same system for the first time. Lets wait and see if he finally gets it before we panick and trade our two first round picks to move up five spots, or anything like that.

If Clausen were to fall to #13, I don't doubt that the Niners would take him there.

If he's not there, and I doubt he falls that far, they're gonna take BPA and may look for a project QB later on.
What the hell is so special about Clausen anyway? All his brothers were decent in college too, but none of them had pro talent. What makes everyone so sure he does?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
P Manning - Same

If Alex doesn't burst onto the scene this year, Nate Davis will be entering his 3rd year, ready to compete to be the starter. We can then draft a QB next year -- Davis and Carr compete -- Davis will probably win, and then we have insurance for him.

This.

Very well said. A two sentence summary of Singletary's QB plan.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by thojess:
What the hell is so special about Clausen anyway? All his brothers were decent in college too, but none of them had pro talent. What makes everyone so sure he does?

So because his brothers suck, he's supposed to too? All I know is, if it wasn't for him Notre Dame wouldn't of even been in competition in the games they were in. He kept them in the game everytime. And I'm not saying draft a QB then start him now. Draft one and sit him until Alex screws up or sucks. Worst case scenario, we have 2 good QBs. Would any of you be upset with that?

And as for Nate Davis, if a guy has a whole year to learn a pretty simple playbook, he's got problems. It's not like he's learning Martz system. Ours is pretty easy. That tells me 1 of 2 things. He's either dumber than we thought, or he doesn't put enough effort. What was it he said? 11 probowls in 8 years of playing lol.
Originally posted by thojess:

So because his brothers suck, he's supposed to too? All I know is, if it wasn't for him Notre Dame wouldn't of even been in competition in the games they were in. He kept them in the game everytime. And I'm not saying draft a QB then start him now. Draft one and sit him until Alex screws up or sucks. Worst case scenario, we have 2 good QBs. Would any of you be upset with that?

And as for Nate Davis, if a guy has a whole year to learn a pretty simple playbook, he's got problems. It's not like he's learning Martz system. Ours is pretty easy. That tells me 1 of 2 things. He's either dumber than we thought, or he doesn't put enough effort. What was it he said? 11 probowls in 8 years of playing lol.

Notre Dame is the most overhyped athletic program on the surface of the earth. They haven't been any good for decades and yet still get all their games on TV. I didn't see Clausen do anything incredible. I think he's all hype. That's my opinion and im sticking to it.
Share 49ersWebzone