There are 206 users in the forums

Looking back: Was the trade-up for Staley Worth it?

Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
it would have been worth it if we had drafted DeSean Jackson

Really it's hard to tell how much we would have been able to use his full talents. With hostler as OC., A. Smith's injuries, S. Hill's lack of arm strength, Sing's run up the gut offense, do you really think Jackson would even come close to the numbers he put up in Philly?

Probably not. Philly has a better QB which makes him look awesome. Even with a healthy SMith I don't think DeSean duplicates the numbers he had in Philly. But he has the speed and clean route running that made him a can't miss WR.
Absolutely worth it! Picture our OL w/out him. The Ol the weak link now, if Staley wasn't there the nickname for the OL would be Highway 101. Even more people would be driving thru and wacking Alex and Gore would have even less running lanes.
The trade for Staley was a good one, the trade in the second round was bad! We could of had Sidney Rice!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In hindsight, was it worth it?

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

But all in all, we ended up with a borderline pro bowl tackle. Not too bad.

he has never been close to a pro bowl player and he was badly outplayed by barry sims....not to mention we traded him essentially for the 7th overall pick
Originally posted by YorkHater:
In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

he has never been close to a pro bowl player and he was badly outplayed by barry sims....not to mention we traded him essentially for the 7th overall pick

Excuse you, Simms while he did play well, did not out play Staley

do u have any clue at all what u r talking about?
simply put: hell NO

You should stop posting until you get a clue.
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
I still remember draft day when they called Kentawn Balmer's name.

I was like

haha. I was on a cruise (Semester at Sea) and was watching the results on wikipedia (since it was the only site I had access to at the time). All the Niners fans, including myself, yelled the same thing. WTF.

What hurt even more was that many of us were Cal guys and we passed on Jackson for him.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
it would have been worth it if we had drafted DeSean Jackson

Really it's hard to tell how much we would have been able to use his full talents. With hostler as OC., A. Smith's injuries, S. Hill's lack of arm strength, Sing's run up the gut offense, do you really think Jackson would even come close to the numbers he put up in Philly?

Probably not. Philly has a better QB which makes him look awesome. Even with a healthy SMith I don't think DeSean duplicates the numbers he had in Philly. But he has the speed and clean route running that made him a can't miss WR.

No, I think still with smith he would get really close to the same numbers as in philly, just if you can give him the ball, he will make the play man, watch him when kolb threw him the ball too.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Absolutely worth it! Picture our OL w/out him. The Ol the weak link now, if Staley wasn't there the nickname for the OL would be Highway 101. Even more people would be driving thru and wacking Alex and Gore would have even less running lanes.

Yes, bad as our line was, without Staley it would have been embarrassing.
yes but i say that marginally. Balmer is a bust and he may be a good backup to rotate in at best.
Smith was getting rocked game-in and game-out, Jennings was retiring and we needed somebody to protect Alex. Staley has been our best/most consistent lineman since the day we drafted him, I think it was a really good move.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Staley has been a starter since we drafted him so I think it was worth it.
Yes it was worth it. We had to have an OT in 2007. Everyone remembers who the RT was before Staley . . . right?? Kwame had to go! At that point it would have been retarded for them to assume that they would finish 5-11 in the 2007 season and pass on the deal for that reason.

BTW, the trade in the 2nd round also netted us Indy's 2007 fourth round pick with which we landed Goldson.
Share 49ersWebzone