LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Looking back: Was the trade-up for Staley Worth it?

In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In hindsight, was it worth it?

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

But all in all, we ended up with a borderline pro bowl tackle. Not too bad.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I still remember draft day when they called Kentawn Balmer's name.

I was like
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

I was like

I know we need to give D-Linemen time to develop, but I think most of us are still thinking that!
woodley
Originally posted by nickbradley:
In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In hindsight, was it worth it?

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

But all in all, we ended up with a borderline pro bowl tackle. Not too bad.

Well I don't know. I think IF we would not have traded the Patriots. our 2008 first rounder and just drafted Ugoh. I think That Staley is better. (IMO) (bit we wouldn't have him ) but If we would have had that 2008 first round draft pick. I think we would have gotten Jarod Mayo. which Just Imagine if we had him lining up Next to Willis for the next 10 years WOW.

also (and I just may be a tad biased) I think Staley is better than all 5 of those. Clady doesn't seem to impress me as much as Staley. IMO
Originally posted by teeohh:
woodley

Ya think? I think they would have gone insidebacker again. and grabbed Mayo IMO
Originally posted by tmpluff:

I was like

I know we need to give D-Linemen time to develop, but I think most of us are still thinking that!

I was also VERY upset that we passed on DeSean Jackson TWICE. Sure, you can say hindsight is 20/20, but everybody KNEW he was going to be a star.

I was like

I was also VERY upset that we passed on DeSean Jackson TWICE. Sure, you can say hindsight is 20/20, but everybody KNEW he was going to be a star.

NO DOUBT!

I was like

That's hilarious, no one KNEW he was going to be a star. If that were the case he'd have gone much, much higher. Almost every team in the NFL passed on him at least once, some more than once. Hell, the Eagles passed on him once in the second round before they took him. They took Trevor Laws before him, who has done just north of zero in his career so far.

I was like

NO DOUBT!

It was nearly at Druckenmiller-Plummer levels of idiocy.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

I was like

That's hilarious, no one KNEW he was going to be a star. If that were the case he'd have gone much, much higher. Almost every team in the NFL passed on him at least once, some more than once. Hell, the Eagles passed on him once in the second round before they took him. They took Trevor Laws before him, who has done just north of zero in his career so far.

Poor choice of words; what I am trying to say is that most 49er fans were "very confident" that he'd be great, especially with the opportunity to see him play at Cal every week.

Rarely to local teams whiff that badly on local talent; Kwame Harris is one of the only other examples I can think of.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Why was the 2008 so bad that NE. drafted #7? Remember Hostler? It's not bad strategy to trade next yrs. 1st to get a impact player a yr. early, especially when poised for a division title and playoff run!

I was like

Ditto.
it would have been worth it if we had drafted DeSean Jackson
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
it would have been worth it if we had drafted DeSean Jackson

Really it's hard to tell how much we would have been able to use his full talents. With hostler as OC., A. Smith's injuries, S. Hill's lack of arm strength, Sing's run up the gut offense, do you really think Jackson would even come close to the numbers he put up in Philly?
Share 49ersWebzone