LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 283 users in the forums

MadDog's Spring Break Big 255 Board Edition

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would be shocked if KC took Trent Williams and passed on Eric Berry.

KC really wants a top-level LT. They are just not very happy right now with Albert at that position. I think their pick comes down to Williams or Bulaga.

I'd pick Berry, but there is usually better value selecting a LT than a FS that high.
Originally posted by teeohh:

wouldn't be the draft if fans weren't shocked by something in the first round

True but #5 is way too high for a guy that struggled at LT

The latest talk is that Detroit is considering Williams at number 2. Now, that would be a shock.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

KC really wants a top-level LT. They are just not very happy right now with Albert at that position. I think their pick comes down to Williams or Bulaga.

I'd pick Berry, but there is usually better value selecting a LT than a FS that high.

I think it will be Berry or Bulaga or Okung (if Washington takes Claussen) I dont see Williams going there for the reason you just stated. They want a top level LT and Williams is better suited for the right side.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 27, 2010 at 15:12:14 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Mad, I see you have TENN taking Davis. Who would you take if Davis was available at #17, Davis or Brown?

Brown. Davis looks like another head case. Talented, underachieving head case.

wouldn't be the draft if fans weren't shocked by something in the first round

True but #5 is way too high for a guy that struggled at LT

The latest talk is that Detroit is considering Williams at number 2. Now, that would be a shock.

There is about as much chance of that as Sam Bradford falling to the Niners.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 27, 2010 at 15:13:25 ]
If Spiller goes in the top 12, and all 3 tops tackles are still gone, who would you take?

You have Graham at 26 but do you think he would be a reach at 13?

Scouts at the Senior Bowl were asked which player was most likely to go to the Pro-Bowl someday. The most popular choice: Mike Iupati.

I'll go with the scouts on this one.

P.S. A lot of fans flipped put when they saw Iupati in the Senior Bowl game. While he struggled at RG, he played 100 times better at LG, which is his normal position. I'd draft him for that spot, and let him anchor that side of the line for the next decade.

Although I usually adopt the best player available viewpoint when it comes to the NFL draft, my philosophy in this 2010 draft is:
1) Draft two OL in the first round: OT and LG. Get this line right, or the team will never go anywhere.
2) Use the second rounder on the best DB available, regardless whether they have PR abilities or not.
3) Use the third rounder on the best DB available, selecting the opposite position as was selected in the second round (CB or S).
4) Use the fourth round pick to draft the best toilet clogging NT on the board.
5) Use the remaining picks to address these issues: Ted backer; PR (if not addressed in rounds 1-3); developmental OLB; running back that can run in the open field; best available place kicker.

I think it will be Berry or Bulaga or Okung (if Washington takes Claussen) I dont see Williams going there for the reason you just stated. They want a top level LT and Williams is better suited for the right side.

I also see Williams as a RT, but it appears that there are numerous teams that disagree with that assessment.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I also see Williams as a RT, but it appears that there are numerous teams that disagree with that assessment.

Good, just means that Spiller and Brown will drop to us.
i actually agree on the 1st 2 picks and i think the niners will NOT select a qb. Not at all. We will reach for Brown a little b/c the 1st 3/4 ot's will be gone by 13 and bpa is spiller. At 17 it will be brown unless 1 of the top 2 safeties is there (Thomas).

As long as we get a good OT and Spiller/Safety with 17 we will be fine coming out of the 1st round
my favorite pick is the armanti edwards pick. Think josh cribbs antwann randle el type. I really hope we draft him and thanks for the update.

if williams is on the board, i wouldnt mind one bit if we didnt select him and went spiller and brown. i would love that, even though i think brown is bit of a strech, he is definitely a need.
Originally posted by thuglife619:
my favorite pick is the armanti edwards pick. Think josh cribbs antwann randle el type. I really hope we draft him and thanks for the update.

Edwards is an intriguing player. I've got him pegged as an early 7th rounder right now, but there seems to be a lot of interest by teams. So, he might end up a 6th rounder in the end. Would be a fun player to have on the team.
First off MD

Secondly you will now be referred to as "The Webzone's Aslan"

Now to the real stuff....

If Jerry is available in the 2nd would what would the pick be? Because we are skeptical at OG at this point and Pashos has walked wouldn't Jerry be the wiser pick? I have 0 issues with the Allen pick, but Jerry would add a great multi need as a OG/OT.

Now this one has me scratching my head.... Amari Spievey, you have him as the 10th rated CB on the board. To me that's a lil high for the kid, convince me on this pick and his placement. The only other site I use for decent rankings is draft scout which is fairly accurate. They have him as the 14th ranked CB which seems a little more accurate. Also his size may raise the red flag to the organization due to him being under the 5'11 mark (not by much but this is a game on inches).

Looking down a bit to the 6th round. Per your board you have 188 LeRoy Vann Florida A&M WR/CB still sitting. Knowing that we are looking to add some return guys (hopefully more then 1) and we have shown some interest in this kid why no dice?

Where is Micah Johnson?
I'll try to answer a couple responses about Brown in this post:

I think Brown is going to have inflationary value on draft day due to the number of top 10 teams that will target OT, and well as the Niners at either 13 or 17.

As we have seen before, once the top tier of OT's are off the board, the next tier of OT's seem to make bonus money, as teams "reach" for OL. This will probably be the case with Brown.

Charles Brown is a very talented OT. He was selected the best OL in the Pac-10 by Pac-10 defensive linemen in receiving the Morris Trophy (a better judge than writers or coaches, in my opinion). He is one of those converted TE's (Joe Staley was the same). Brown has stacked on about 15-20 pounds this last year, and has the frame to add more. He's listed at 6'6", 305, and has very long arms (a bonus for an OT).

Brown's strength is pass protection, and he will need time to gain strength (only 21 reps at 225), and technique to improve run blocking. He could give Staley a run for his money at the LT position (this could be a solid battle). In the end, the Niners may be best suited to move Staley to RT, as he is a developing run-blocker, and decent pass protecting LT. Brown, in my opinion, has a bit more long-range upside at LT than Staley.

USC's Pro-Days always seem to bring out the best in their players, and I think Brown will look terrific in drills and in running. I expect a sub-5.00 time.

why would you draft a finesse left tackle who is almost in the same mold that you already have when you have a dominant OL in lupati who most have already cited easily having the potential to move to right tackle. Also the latter has the right temperment and tenacity the line is lacking. Why reach so high when there are a couple of pretty good, which is what you're getting anyway, candidates for RT later in the draft.
How do you see realisticly Trent Williams in the top 5 range. I think its way off, and personally I think he'll be the steal of the first round at 17, unless someone trades up to get him at 14,15, or 16. I could be wrong, but doesnt there have to be some versatility in the player-especially playing on the left side-to be picked that high.

(Top 5 is pretty darn high for a RT, right?)
Share 49ersWebzone