There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners looking at ILBs

So, as per Matt Barrows here the niners are looking at possible ILB to backup/replace Spikes when he retires.

Who are some of the ILB that could be had in rounds 2-5 that could be what Singletary wants in the TED role? I haven't done much research around ILB and the only names I really know are McClain, Spikes and Lee. I doubt we take McClain, and Lee may be gone before we pick in the 2nd, though Spikes may slide into the 3rd and be a possibility now.

So, along with the names mentioned by Barrows (Vincent Rey, Eric Norwood, Jamar Chaney) who are other ILB that we may draft, and what are the strengths/weaknesses of each?
Spikes is free falling at the moment. I'm thinking 4th for Spikes. Who better to teach him the ropes than Takeo?
Originally posted by Niners23:
So, as per Matt Barrows here the niners are looking at possible ILB to backup/replace Spikes when he retires.

Who are some of the ILB that could be had in rounds 2-5 that could be what Singletary wants in the TED role? I haven't done much research around ILB and the only names I really know are McClain, Spikes and Lee. I doubt we take McClain, and Lee may be gone before we pick in the 2nd, though Spikes may slide into the 3rd and be a possibility now.

So, along with the names mentioned by Barrows (Vincent Rey, Eric Norwood, Jamar Chaney) who are other ILB that we may draft, and what are the strengths/weaknesses of each?

Wouldn't it be funny to have Brandon Spikes' brother wind up taking over for him at the Ted spot?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Wouldn't it be funny to have Brandon Spikes' brother wind up taking over for him at the Ted spot?

They're cousins
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

They're cousins

While they may be cousins, Takeo ran under 4.5 in the 40 yd dash in 1998, while Brandon ran 5.05 40 yd dash. That's too slow for a player that has to go sideline to sideline.
Originally posted by mebemused:
While they may be cousins, Takeo ran under 4.5 in the 40 yd dash in 1998, while Brandon ran 5.05 40 yd dash. That's too slow for a player that has to go sideline to sideline.

According to Barrows, "Singletary wants his linebackers to take on blockers and slam into offensive lineman" which is something McKillop couldn't do, as he tried to slip through the tackles. If all he has to do is occupy blockers and clear room for Willis to make tackles, he wouldn't need a lot of speed to do that.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Forget about Brandon Spikes, I'd rather get Cameron Sheffield.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran

According to Barrows, "Singletary wants his linebackers to take on blockers and slam into offensive lineman" which is something McKillop couldn't do, as he tried to slip through the tackles. If all he has to do is occupy blockers and clear room for Willis to make tackles, he wouldn't need a lot of speed to do that.

Exactly, Sing wants Ted LBs not Mikes. At 6'3" 250lbs, Spikes fits that Ted mold perfectly.
Originally posted by TJA85:

Exactly, Sing wants Ted LBs not Mikes. At 6'3" 250lbs, Spikes fits that Ted mold perfectly.

It would be great if we could get Brandon Spikes in the middle rounds.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by TJA85:

It would be great if we could get Brandon Spikes in the middle rounds.

I'd much rather get Donald Butler from Washington if we were to take a ILB in the middle rounds.

6'1" 245 and strong (35 Reps of 225)

Also unlike Spikes he is still athletic and quick, Ran a 4.6 forty.

Much better ILB prospect IMO
IMO the only the Niners should spend a high pick on is McClain, providing he's there, which in a lot of draft boards is predicting he'll be a top 10 pick.
  • cools
  • Veteran
How bout we just go to a 4-3 in 2011, and not get a future Ted?
(runs for cover)

Manny can play the position I think he best suited for, a 4-3 Coverage/Pursuit Sam OLB

We are loaded with NT/UT's Franklin, Balmer, Sopoaga, McDonald, Francois

Smith gets free'd up as a 4-3 DE, which would be huge having our 2nd best defender not have to go against a G/T double team every play

Brooks as the other DE, with Haralson backing him up

All we need is a weak side OLB, and that maybe easier then finding a Big Ted

Im sure it wont happen, and Im not sure i want it to, just thinkin out loud

[ Edited by cools on Mar 25, 2010 at 23:27:55 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
How bout we just go to a 4-3 in 2011, and not get a future Ted?
(runs for cover)

Manny can play the position I think he best suited for, a 4-3 Coverage/Pursuit Sam OLB

We are loaded with NT/UT's Franklin, Balmer, Sopoaga, McDonald, Francois

Smith gets free'd up as a 4-3 DE, which would be huge having our 2nd best defender not have to go against a G/T double team every play

Brooks as the other DE, with Haralson backing him up

All we need is a weak side OLB, and that maybe easier then finding a Big Ted

Im sure it wont happen, and Im not sure i want it to, just thinkin out loud

Works great in Madden.