Geek's Final Mock Plan

love the mock very solid
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by teeohh:
were Ryan Mathews and Brandon Graham available when you chose Wilson?

I don't anticipate Matthews being that far up on the draft board for the 49ers. Graham would be available, but let me pose this question for you:

Did our squad lose more games due to a lack of pass rush or due to poor special teams and secondary? Titans, Texans, and Vikings game can be blamed by secondary and special teams.

Don't get me wrong, I love Graham and I have stated on here that improving the pass rush improves the secondary. But the fact we are three deep at OLB and one, maybe two deep at CB and no real candidate for special teams made me go with Wilson over Graham.

Both will be good players, Wilson has more immediate value to the 49ers and allows Ahmed Brooks and, with my mock, Teo to establish depth and a rotation at OLB.

So you think Wilson can be a starter this season?

I think he can beat out Brown for the #3 CB. With the injury problems that Spencer has and the inconsistency that Clements has, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter.

Will he beat out Spencer and Clements if they are healthy? I think Singletary will favor the vets over him.

Sounds about right... don't forget he's a punt retuner also.
I still don't get what so many see in Trent Williams...BL is he's not LT material...and as such, I don't see Coach taking him. Remember, his new OL sheriff (Solari) is looking for versatile, agile OL who can zone block. Singletary's got THE OL coach he wanted...so will listen to what he recommends, and I don't see Williams as worthy of that high of a draft pick, given his position limitations.

I like Kyle Wilson...saw him play several games, and he impressed me. He can double as a KR...but two questions need answered about him. First is, can he tackle consistently at NFL level...second, would Singletary want a CB returning kicks...methinks he wouldn't, due to the injury risk. But, he may be convinced KW has got a good enough all-around game to pull the trigger.

I don't know Cam Thomas...but, taking a NT here isn't something I'd expect Coach to do...although he could. I think a better choice would be a guy who can play both NT and DE...i.e. what we hoped Balmer would be able to do.

Jacoby Ford could become a nifty slot receiver...he's got the speed, some have questioned his size/toughness, but many said the same thing about Wes Welker. I'd have no objection to us taking him.

Don't know the kid from WA, but his numbers are definitely impressive. Sometimes the lesser known kids actually have skills that translate better for the NFL than "star" college players.

Black could be a good pick...because of his versatility. Again, only question I have is his agility...is he quick enough to do the things Coach Solari will expect him to, like lead sweeps, screens, pass protect and do some zone blocking.

Last couple I have no major issues with. Overall, I like your mock...main heartburn would be w/Trent Williams...just don't see him having the all-around game and versatility Singletary/Solari are looking for.
Very strong mock, Bravo!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
were Ryan Mathews and Brandon Graham available when you chose Wilson?

I don't anticipate Matthews being that far up on the draft board for the 49ers. Graham would be available, but let me pose this question for you:

Did our squad lose more games due to a lack of pass rush or due to poor special teams and secondary? Titans, Texans, and Vikings game can be blamed by secondary and special teams.

Don't get me wrong, I love Graham and I have stated on here that improving the pass rush improves the secondary. But the fact we are three deep at OLB and one, maybe two deep at CB and no real candidate for special teams made me go with Wilson over Graham.

Both will be good players, Wilson has more immediate value to the 49ers and allows Ahmed Brooks and, with my mock, Teo to establish depth and a rotation at OLB.

So you think Wilson can be a starter this season?

I think he can beat out Brown for the #3 CB. With the injury problems that Spencer has and the inconsistency that Clements has, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter.

Will he beat out Spencer and Clements if they are healthy? I think Singletary will favor the vets over him.

It's extremely rare a CB will come in and immediately start. Heck wasn't Malcolm Jenkins like the 3rd or 4th CB in New Orleans? I say he has a tough battle with Tarrell Brown for the #3 spot.
I can dig it
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I still don't get what so many see in Trent Williams...BL is he's not LT material...and as such, I don't see Coach taking him. Remember, his new OL sheriff (Solari) is looking for versatile, agile OL who can zone block. Singletary's got THE OL coach he wanted...so will listen to what he recommends, and I don't see Williams as worthy of that high of a draft pick, given his position limitations.

I like Kyle Wilson...saw him play several games, and he impressed me. He can double as a KR...but two questions need answered about him. First is, can he tackle consistently at NFL level...second, would Singletary want a CB returning kicks...methinks he wouldn't, due to the injury risk. But, he may be convinced KW has got a good enough all-around game to pull the trigger.

I don't know Cam Thomas...but, taking a NT here isn't something I'd expect Coach to do...although he could. I think a better choice would be a guy who can play both NT and DE...i.e. what we hoped Balmer would be able to do.

Jacoby Ford could become a nifty slot receiver...he's got the speed, some have questioned his size/toughness, but many said the same thing about Wes Welker. I'd have no objection to us taking him.

Don't know the kid from WA, but his numbers are definitely impressive. Sometimes the lesser known kids actually have skills that translate better for the NFL than "star" college players.

Black could be a good pick...because of his versatility. Again, only question I have is his agility...is he quick enough to do the things Coach Solari will expect him to, like lead sweeps, screens, pass protect and do some zone blocking.

Last couple I have no major issues with. Overall, I like your mock...main heartburn would be w/Trent Williams...just don't see him having the all-around game and versatility Singletary/Solari are looking for.

If zone blocking is the issue then who has the feet to be able to zone block the way that Solari wants? I liked Williams because he was the second fastest lineman at the combine with lots of experience. He has good history at RT, has plalyed LT, and Center. So Williams has some versatility. Whether he would fit Solari's system remains to be seen. But that can be said of all the Tackles in the draft.
Except for the first 2 picks Boo BOO
[ Edited by YorkHater on Mar 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

If zone blocking is the issue then who has the feet to be able to zone block the way that Solari wants? I liked Williams because he was the second fastest lineman at the combine with lots of experience. He has good history at RT, has plalyed LT, and Center. So Williams has some versatility. Whether he would fit Solari's system remains to be seen. But that can be said of all the Tackles in the draft.

Solari never said we'd fully convert to a zone blocking scheme. He said he'll run a variety of schemes. And Williams is athletic enough to do just that. I think the main point is that we could do worse than Williams with the 13th pick.
Other than sims

Nothing in this mock will happen

Nice mock I just think Ciron will be off the board by then though
Well done. Only a few very minor issues with this mock for me.

Your second and third round picks -- Geek, I think you're going to be looking at an "either-or" situation there. You'll either have to take Thomas or Ford in the 2nd, because I don't believe either of them will make it to our third round pick. Could be wrong, but I think the chances of either of them getting there are extremely low.

Don't care much for the Gibril Wilson idea, or the Chris Brown pick. I'd prefer a faster, quicker scat-back like Deji Karim, or a safety (or other DB).

Other than that, it's very feasible. I definitely think we're going to take a long look at Daniel Teo-Ne'Sheim, as well as Thomas and several other NT prospects. With Franklin only on a one-year deal, it's hard to imagine us coming out of this draft not having addressed the lack of a successor to him.
I love the first 4 picks, though I think Ford will be taken a lot earlier just because of his speed and return ability. Also, Ciron Black might go earlier as well. If our draft went down like this though, I wouldn't be upset at all!

I just don't like the Wilson pickup in FA
If the draft fell that way it would be amazing. Black in the Fifth! Id actually be able to do a backflip and not break my back
I think either Campbell or Charles Brown would be better fits for what Solari wants. But, I keep going back to what Singletary said...that any OT he drafts must have LT ability. To date, that doesn't bode well for Williams. As for the zone blocking, I never said that would be the full-time scheme...Solari has simply said he'll implement it this off-season.
Share 49ersWebzone