There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What would a Singletary-run draft look like?

What would a Singletary-run draft look like?

Now that Scottie is Gone, I think that Sing will have a lot more say on picks than he did before.

As a result, I see the draft going a lot differently. Based on who I think is going to be available at 13 and 17, here's who I think Sing would pick:

#13:

Available: Spiller, Anthony Davis, Haden, Earl Thomas, Iupati, Mays

Sing's Pick: Joe Haden

Why: Best Player available, Physical, can step in as a rookie to play nickel effectively. Earl Thomas a close second.

#17:

Available: Anthony Davis, Earl Thomas, Iupati, Mays

Sing's Pick: Iupati

Why: Aggressive, raw talent that can play guard and tackle (depth)...will push the other young guards to improve. Can step in right and contribute at guard. Anthony Davis a close second.

I haven't been thinking about this for too long, but I could see Earl Thomas and Anthony Davis as the picks.
Spiller @ 13 then the best OT available @ 17
OT and Taylor Mays
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Really? Spiller? Singletary's #1 issue is OT, and will go OT if the value is there at 13. His #2 issue was the secondary getting burned.
Originally posted by valrod33:
OT and Taylor Mays

I can see that; It all depends on whether OT is worth it at 13, and whether he thinks he can 'coach up' Taylor Mays.

If Sing can 'coach him up', Mays could be the next Ronnie Lott.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
OT and Taylor Mays

I can see that; It all depends on whether OT is worth it at 13, and whether he thinks he can 'coach up' Taylor Mays.

I can also see Sing going with A. Davis and Iupati in the first round.

That would give him the line that he wants.

Really? Spiller? Singletary's #1 issue is OT, and will go OT if the value is there at 13. His #2 issue was the secondary getting burned.

or Haden @ 13 and best OT @ 17?
I think he's gonna draft Taylor Mays
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think he's gonna draft Taylor Mays

Ronnie Lott would love that pick. i wouldn't mind it though.

or Haden @ 13 and best OT @ 17?

That makes sense. Starting to feel 2 OLs are an option with Singletary...
I think we'll be drafting more for need than we would have otherwise. Singletary might not survive a bad season, and so he's going to make sure that he gives himself the best chance to win now possible. So I expect him to try and fix the things he think kept us out of the playoffs last year. My guess is that means OL, KR/PR, and secondary.

I don't think this is entirely bad. I think we've hurt ourselves the last few years by being so against drafting for need. Last off season it was obvious that pass rush and pass protection were our greatest weaknesses. But we didn't do anything to fix them in the draft. And our O Line sucked and opposing QBs were able to throw TDs when they needed them to beat us. So I think addressing our weaknesses is long over due.

I just hope this doesn't mean we draft Taylor Mays because there's no one to tell Singletary not to.
Pick 13 = LB
Pick 17 = LB
Pick 49 = LB
Pick 79 = LB
etc.
etc.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think we'll be drafting more for need than we would have otherwise. Singletary might not survive a bad season, and so he's going to make sure that he gives himself the best chance to win now possible. So I expect him to try and fix the things he think kept us out of the playoffs last year. My guess is that means OL, KR/PR, and secondary.

I don't think this is entirely bad. I think we've hurt ourselves the last few years by being so against drafting for need. Last off season it was obvious that pass rush and pass protection were our greatest weaknesses. But we didn't do anything to fix them in the draft. And our O Line sucked and opposing QBs were able to throw TDs when they needed them to beat us. So I think addressing our weaknesses is long over due.

I just hope this doesn't mean we draft Taylor Mays because there's no one to tell Singletary not to.

I wouldn't say Pass Rush was a weakness at all as we were tied for 3rd in the league in sacks. The two biggest weaknesses were O-Line (both pass and run blocking) and our pass defense.

And Singletary has expressed a lot of interest in Mays, still hope we don't draft him tho lol
OT and Taylor Mays

I can also see Sing going with A. Davis and Iupati in the first round.

That would give him the line that he wants.

Personally I would love if we draft 2 OL with our first two picks, it wouldn't be "sexy" but it would be a hell of a start for a dominating line.