There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rams should trade with Tampa...

Much like the rest of you, I've been browsing mock drafts and reading up on why the Rams should take Sam Bradford over Suh or McCoy (ie, the need for a franchise QB and face of the team that could sell tickets). If it's also true that Tampa is enamored with one of the DTs, then St. Louis should pull the trigger on a trade because the Bucs (with Josh Freeman) nor Lions (Stafford) will draft Bradford.

Naturally, St. Louis will probably ask for a king's ransom for the #1 pick, which will scare Tampa or any other team off. A smart GM would lower the asking price (perhaps pick up a 3rd/4th and 5th/6th in addition to Tampa' #1), let the top 2 DTs fly off the board, then grab Bradford AT MUCH LESS than if he stayed at #1.

Now, there's always the chance that some team trades with Detroit to take the QB, but I think the Rams would be shrewd to trade down. Naturally, this scenario makes too much sense, so Im not holding my breath!

Blake_Fever
meh, i don't care about the Rams
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

this
Amazing how you care enough to respond!

(tools...)
It would make sense if they could pick up an extra draft pick or two, but it very likely won't save them any money. Quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 pretty much always get paid out of slot. If they draft him at 3 it is very likely he will still get paid more than whichever DT goes #1 to Tampa.
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

(tools...)

I know you are but what am I?
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Mar 19, 2010 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
It would make sense if they could pick up an extra draft pick or two, but it very likely won't save them any money. Quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 pretty much always get paid out of slot. If they draft him at 3 it is very likely he will still get paid more than whichever DT goes #1 to Tampa.

This
. . . but Tampa shouldn't trade with the Rams. If I was them I'd stay at #3. If the Rams go with Bradford they'll get a great DT . . . otherwise it's Eric Berry.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
. . . but Tampa shouldn't trade with the Rams. If I was them I'd stay at #3. If the Rams go with Bradford they'll get a great DT . . . otherwise it's Eric Berry.

Exactly. Tampa has NO reason to trade up. They're happy with either DT, and the odds of both being gone are very slim. The Rams are probably going QB, Detriot wants to trade down and will take Okung if they stay.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Our draft hinges on what the Skins do. If they take a QB, that means an OT is likely to be there at 13, if they don't it's likely we don't get one. Seattle isn't taking one now, opencil in OT there, Buffalo needs one, as do KC and OAK. One of them will take Berry though and we'll be good.
I dont think it makes much sense for STL, what happens if they move to 3, then someone like CLE or WAS trade up to 2 and take Bradford, then STL is screwed and miss their player. Just doesnt make much sense IMO.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Exactly. Tampa has NO reason to trade up. They're happy with either DT, and the odds of both being gone are very slim. The Rams are probably going QB, Detriot wants to trade down and will take Okung if they stay.

In fact, if both DTs are gone, they have incentive to trade down.
Why would Tampa trade up? Suh and McCoy are neck and neck. They can just sit back and take which one they prefer
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Why would Tampa trade up? Suh and McCoy are neck and neck. They can just sit back and take which one they prefer

That decision will be setup by what the Rams and Lions do. There is a likely scenario where the Rams take Bradford and the Lions elect to protect their #1 pick Stafford with Okung at #2. Then the Bucs can decide which DT fits their system the best. IMO that would be McCoy to be Warren Sapp 2.0. They also could be there to take the leftovers (Berry) if the Rams and Lions get defensive and take the BPA's.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

That decision will be setup by what the Rams and Lions do. There is a likely scenario where the Rams take Bradford and the Lions elect to protect their #1 pick Stafford with Okung at #2. Then the Bucs can decide which DT fits their system the best. IMO that would be McCoy to be Warren Sapp 2.0. They also could be there to take the leftovers (Berry) if the Rams and Lions get defensive and take the BPA's.

Bucs are in an awesome position. Just dont see the point in them trading up. Meaning they have to give up extra picks and pay the guy more.