There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

St. Patricks Day Mock

ERIN GO BRAGH

Draft day trades are completely unpredictable, but I tried to envision some plausible moves to maximize pick value.

I'm not going to approach the production value of oldman9er (wow), but I'll give it a run . . .


Day One – Up & Down

Trade #1 - Up:
We need a stabilizing presence at RT more than any other spot. To get the guy we need we’ll have to get out in front of Oakland and Buffalo. To do so McCloughan dials up his old boss the Walrus in Cleveland. We offer #13 and #49 (1560 Pts) in exchange for #7 and one of Cleveland’s 5th round picks (1530+/-). And with the 7th pick we select:

1a – (7): Trent Williams OT – Oklahoma



With this move we don’t need to stress about starting OT’s for quite a while.



Trade #2 – Down:
At #17 we can grab Mark Iupati, Brandon Graham, Kyle Wilson or Taylor Mays. Jerry Jones comes callin’ because after watching his o-line get abused by the Vikings he knows they need big help. Dallas needs to get out in front of both Cincy and Pittsburgh to guarantee landing Iupati. They offer #27 & #59 (990 Pts) for pick #17 and our 5th round pick (980 Pts +/-). We get a 2nd rounder back and with the 27th pick we select:

1b – (27): Jerry Hughes OLB – TCU



Hughes killed at the combine and has the college production to make it mean something. This pick makes passing on Graham a redeemable decision.



Day Two – We get our SEC on

2 – (59): John Jerry OG/OT – Mississippi



Jerry should be an immediate upgrade at either OG position and should be able swing to OT in a pinch. Bye bye Snyder.



3 – (79): Javier Arenas CB/PR – Alabama



Immediately upgrades the return game. Adds speed to the secondary to help cover the speedy slot WR’s on passing downs.



Day Three – Filling out some depth

4a – Eric Decker WR – Minnesota



Off the chart Wonderlic score aside, this kid will be a playmaker. Great value in the 4th.



Trade #3 – Up
Move up into the lower half of the 4th round (5th & 6th round picks for something in the 120’s). With the 120ish pick we select:

4b – Kam Chancellor SS – Virginia Tech



We need to plan for Michael Lewis’ replacement and I’m not sure we want to assume that Curtis Taylor will be the answer.



7a – Lonyae Miller RB – Fresno State



Ryan Matthews’ understudy has skills.



7b – Corey Peters DT/DE – Kentucky



We dip back into the SEC for some d-line depth. 1st team All-SEC (Coaches) in 2009



RECAP

1a: Trent Williams OT - Oklahoma
1b: Jerry Hughes OLB - TCU
2: John Jerry OG/OT - Mississippi
3: Javier Arenas CB/PR - Alabama
4a: Eric Decker WR - Minnesota
4b: Kam Chancellor SS - Virginia Tech
7a: Lonyae Miller RB - Fresno State
7b: Corey Peters DT - Kentucky

With that draft we'd still have some work to do in free agency, namely re-signing Dre Bly IMO.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM ]
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,485
If we traded for that #7 overall pick, we could have a chance to land Eric Berry instead.
Originally posted by TJA85:
If we traded for that #7 overall pick, we could have a chance to land Eric Berry instead.


If Eric Berry was still there I wouldn't expect the Browns to trade the pick.
No way 49ers pick arenas when he's like 5'9. Model for the GM is bigger DBs. I wouldn't mind him in the 3rd tho.
its an alright draft, you just have to many trades going on.
Originally posted by Dominate:
its an alright draft, you just have to many trades going on.

This
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Dominate:
its an alright draft, you just have to many trades going on.

This


Too many to predict? Yes. But one team making three deals over the course of a draft isn't exactly unprecedented.
Nice presentation, but I'm not a big fan overall.

- Trading up to #7 for Williams would make me unhappy. I wouldn't mind him at #13... but moving up for him just doesn't sit well with me.

- I like Jerry Hughes and his value is good at #27, but I gotta think there will be better options for our needs. I don't think Hughes is gonna be an upgrade to the trio we have.

- I like John Jerry, but not till the mid 3rd, and I don't think he will be an effective OT.

- I have little interest in Arenas... especially so early as the 3rd. Probably will be a good NFL returner, but we can do better.

- Nothing wrong with Decker in the 4th round.

- Would be pretty happy with Chancellor in the 4th.

- Only a fan of those 7th rounders due to sick value, as I think they will be gone by the 5th round.
Hey .. wait a minute.. wasn't this thread the called the Mobility Mock earlier today??
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Hey .. wait a minute.. wasn't this thread the called the Mobility Mock earlier today??


It was for a few . . . then I decided to honor St. Patrick.
For a St Patricks day mock, you should only pick players from teams that wear green...
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Nice presentation, but I'm not a big fan overall.

- Trading up to #7 for Williams would make me unhappy. I wouldn't mind him at #13... but moving up for him just doesn't sit well with me.

- I like Jerry Hughes and his value is good at #27, but I gotta think there will be better options for our needs. I don't think Hughes is gonna be an upgrade to the trio we have.

- I like John Jerry, but not till the mid 3rd, and I don't think he will be an effective OT.

- I have little interest in Arenas... especially so early as the 3rd. Probably will be a good NFL returner, but we can do better.

- Nothing wrong with Decker in the 4th round.

- Would be pretty happy with Chancellor in the 4th.

- Only a fan of those 7th rounders due to sick value, as I think they will be gone by the 5th round.


IMO Williams looks to have the talent to eventually play LT in the NFL which to me makes him worth trading up for.

Hughes should be near the top of the OLB rotation sooner rather than later, also Haralson is the only OLB on the roster signed beyond 2010.

I think John Jerry could be an above average OT, but an outstanding guard. I'd be surprised if he makes it to round 3 undrafted.

I went for Arenas primarily for stellar return skills, also Bama CB's under Saban generally have a good reputation for making the transition to the NFL.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM ]