There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "Non-Sexy" Mock Draft

Here is another take on the 49ers draft possibilities. In this scenario Okung, Bulaga, and Williams are off the board at 13. I don't think Anthony Davis is the answer, and 13 is probably to high for him anyways.

I also believe Spiller might me gone too. (Even if he is there I don't know if Scotty will pull the trigger).

Saying that here we go....

1A: Dan Williams, NT Tennessee
- NT of the future
- Gives us leverage against Franklin (contract wise) or even ability to trade him

1B: Mike Iupati, OG Idaho
- Plug him in the Oline for the next 10 or so Years
- Gives us some much needed size and nastiness

2: Vladimir Ducasse, OT Massachussets
- Big body
- Athletic OT
- Adds size and versatility to the line
- Can play multiple positions

3: Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR Cincinnati
- Add another weapon for Alex Smith
- Also gives us a serious return man at the same time

4: Syd'Quad Thompson, CB/PR California
- Adds youth to the secondary
- Size and speed see him drop to the 4th
- Amazing ball instincts, physical, very solid tackler, and a quality punt returner
- Great value in the 4th

5: O'Brien Schofield, OLB Wisconsin (INJ.)
- Brooks and Lawson are in contract years and we don't know what we'll get out of them/if we will retain them after this year
- Great value pick in the 5th talent wise, although he will not be playing this year

6: Harry Coleman, SS LSU
- Mike Lewis type safety
- Big frame, very physical
- Can contribute on special teams and compete for a roster spot at SS

7: Michael Hoomanawanui, TE Illinois
- Big blocking TE
- Compete for 3rd TE spot behind Davis and Walker
- And he happens to have an awesome last name!

I know its a little different, but I could see the 49ers going with something like this if all 3 top OT's and Spiller are off the board at 13. This drafts fixes our Oline, return problems, and adds depth to our secondary and pass rush. We also get our future NT. Scotty loves big bodies and with the exception of Gilyard and Thompson, thats what we get with this draft.

I think its about time to solidify the trenches. Better Online play leads to better QB, RB, and WR play. I also think the additions of Williams and Thompson help add to an already solid defense. A draft like this could finally get us to the top of the NFC West .

What do you guys think?
I hate the first one. Iupati and Ducasse are great. I would like to land one or both of them.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I hate the first one. Iupati and Ducasse are great. I would like to land one or both of them.

Would you still hate it if we were able to trade Franklin for say a second or third rounder? or future picks?

Just curious.

I would probably take McClain over Williams at 13 but I don't know if he will be there.
Originally posted by ajax1188:

Would you still hate it if we were able to trade Franklin for say a second or third rounder? or future picks?

Just curious.

I would probably take McClain over Williams at 13 but I don't know if he will be there.

Substitute Spiller for #13.

Just curious.

Yeah I would love that draft if we got Spiller at 13! I dont know if he'll be there at 13 after his combine/pro day. I also don't know how high McCloughan has Spiller on his board. I would be curious to see if he has him above Williams/McClain.

Just curious.

Yeah I would love that draft if we got Spiller at 13! I dont know if he'll be there at 13 after his combine/pro day. I also don't know how high McCloughan has Spiller on his board. I would be curious to see if he has him above Williams/McClain.

He better be above McClain.

Just curious.

yup
Nice mock. Rather have a bigger corner with return ability than Thompson.

Just curious.

Um, please see the title!!
Here is another take on the 49ers draft possibilities. In this scenario Okung, Bulaga, and Williams are off the board at 13. I don't think Anthony Davis is the answer, and 13 is probably to high for him anyways.

I also believe Spiller might me gone too. (Even if he is there I don't know if Scotty will pull the trigger).

- NT of the future
- Gives us leverage against Franklin (contract wise) or even ability to trade him

- Big body
- Athletic OT

- Amazing ball instincts, physical, very solid tackler, and a quality punt returner
- Great value in the 4th

- Brooks and Lawson are in contract years and we don't know what we'll get out of them/if we will retain them after this year
- Great value pick in the 5th talent wise, although he will not be playing this year

- Mike Lewis type safety

- Big blocking TE

I know its a little different, but I could see the 49ers going with something like this if all 3 top OT's and Spiller are off the board at 13. This drafts fixes our Oline, return problems, and adds depth to our secondary and pass rush. We also get our future NT. Scotty loves big bodies and with the exception of Gilyard and Thompson, thats what we get with this draft.

I think its about time to solidify the trenches. Better Online play leads to better QB, RB, and WR play. I also think the additions of Williams and Thompson help add to an already solid defense. A draft like this could finally get us to the top of the NFC West .

What do you guys think?

Not to be rude, but Williams is a pretty stupid pick. Franklin is a stud, "should-have-been" pro bowler.

You didn't post the rest of your mock, but if you wanted a different "non-sexy" pick, you could go with McClain, Mays, Thomas, Haden, etc.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

- NT of the future

- Big body
- Athletic OT

- Great value in the 4th

- Mike Lewis type safety

- Big blocking TE

What do you guys think?

Not to be rude, but Williams is a pretty stupid pick. Franklin is a stud, "should-have-been" pro bowler.

You didn't post the rest of your mock, but if you wanted a different "non-sexy" pick, you could go with McClain, Mays, Thomas, Haden, etc.

The game is won and lost in the trenches. It's a decent mock that probably won't happen.

Franklin did have a good year in his contract year. He is also 30 years old and doesn't have an extension. I don't like NT at 13, but the pick does show some vision towards the future.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
am I the only one that doesn't like Ducasse at OT? I like him at OG but not OT.
Originally posted by krizay:
am I the only one that doesn't like Ducasse at OT? I like him at OG but not OT.

Same here. I'd rather get someone who is a proven commodity at tackle then someone who is a project player. I would love to have Ducasse on our team, but not as a tackle only.
I like it. I don't like grabbing what I think are two OGs in our first 3 picks. I like both Iupati and Ducasse as Guard prospects. Love the Gilyard pick, but I'm not a big fan of the Thompson pickup.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

- NT of the future

- Big body
- Athletic OT

- Great value in the 4th

- Mike Lewis type safety

- Big blocking TE

What do you guys think?

No offense taken.

As far as Williams being a "stupid" pick I don't necessarily agree. Franklin did have an awesome year (in his contract year). But besides last year he hasn't shown anything special. He is being franchised this year, so we either need to trade him or sign him to an extension. I think Williams is a decent pick if the team decides that Franklin is not the NT of the future and they don't feel like dishing on the big bucks.

With that being said this isn't really the draft I would first choose for the Niners, but I'm not making the picks. In terms of your alternative picks.
- As I stated above, I would like McClain but I think he might be gone (Denver, Miami).
-I really dislike Mays as a football player. Great athlete, but not great ball skills, poor angles, doesn't wrap, goes for way to many knockout shots.
-Thomas and Haden are legit options at 13, but again this was supposed to be a "non sexy" draft. By that I meant there would be a focus on the trenches.

Anyways just wanted to throw some new ideas/mocks out there for discussion