LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

03/13 Mock Draft

I tried to mix it up a little bit. I didn't add any trades, since they would most likely be unrealistic. This is my first mock, so let me have it.

1a. CJ Spiller RB Clemson

Spiller may very well be gone by the time we pick. If he falls though, I don't see us passing on him. He will add speed and versatility to our offense.
Other options: Trent Williams OT, Joe Haden CB

1b. Brandon Graham DE/OLB Michigan

Getting a pass rusher isn't first on our list of needs, but with two first rounders, I can see us picking up a play-maker like Graham. With this pick I would like for us to trade down a few spots to get another 2nd rounder, but can't see any possible(or realistic) trade scenarios.
Other options: Dan Williams NT, Mike Iupati OG

2. Rodger Saffold OT/G Indiana

He is rising up draft boards right now, but I think he will eventually end up in this area come draft day. He is versatile enough to play tackle or guard at the next level, something we value.
Other options: Nate Allen S, Dexter McCluster WR/RB

3. Reshad Jones S Georgia

I would love for us to get Morgan Burnett with this pick, but I think he will climb up draft boards once he works out. That being said, I think Jones can be our eventual replacement for Michael Lewis.
Other options: Jon Asamoah OG, Andre Roberts WR

4. Marshall Newhouse OG TCU

For this pick, it came down to Newhouse and Shawn Lauvao. In the end, I went with Newhosue because of his versatility. He can sit for a year or two before he competes for a starting spot.
Other options: Antonio Brown WR, Austen Lane DE, Shawn Lauvao OG

5. David Gettis WR Baylor

Gettis is one of my favorite WR prospects in this years draft. He is big, fast, and physical. He will need some time to develop, but I think he is someone who can do well in this league eventually.
Other options: Myron Lewis S, Joe McKnight RB

6. Brandon Deaderick DT Alabama

May not last this far, but he's another raw talent on the defensive line.
Other options: George Selvie OLB, Micah Johnson LB

7. LeRoy Vann RS

My favorite return man coming out of this draft. I know I went with Spiller earlier, but I think Spiller should handle only kick-offs, and Vann can handle punts. In fact, I'd prefer Vann to do both.

UDFA: Jamar Wall CB Texas Tech - He is just a guy I like. He will probably not be more than a special teams guy. Like Keith Lewis, this guy can make a hit.

[ Edited by saniner on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:28 PM ]
Im crossing my fingers that we draft LeRoy Vann, man that guy can be exciting for us!!!

Chi49erfan
I give your draft a big, fat A+

I would love it if it worked out this way. Even though ROT is our biggest team need, I'd still rather see us use those two firsts on impact players at then look for a ROT in the second. And Spiller and Graham are the probably the two impact players I want most in the first round.

And the other thing you did that I like is drafted two players that return kicks and punts. I think that's critical. Returners get hurt all the time and I DO NOT want to see Jones back there again this year.

Nice job!
leroy vann is ridiculously fast and he would be a great addition

Quote:
03/09/2010 - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have scheduled Florida A&M University All-American kicker returner LeRoy Vann for a private workout later this month, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation. The Jacksonville Jaguars are going to help run the workout as well as conduct a private session with Vann, according to a league source. San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary has called to express interest, and 20 to 25 NFL teams are expected to attend the workout. Vann, who was featured on ESPN's College Gameday program during a segment with Desmond Howard, has been training in Atlanta and catching punts from former NFL punter Rodney Williams. The questions about Williams are his lack of size (5-foot-9, 185 pounds) and what position he'll play. He has played some cornerback. Vann is expected to run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds. - Aaron Wilson, The National Football Post

thats good news that singeltary has expressed intrest in him. He led the league in PR average last year and he was very solid placing in top 5 in KR avg getting this guy in the late rounds wwould be huge for us
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM ]
Very nice mock. The key is whether Saffold can play RT. I like Saffold alot but I'm not sure I want to bank on him.
SS Jones is my favorite pick. Hope he is there at the 3rd round
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Very nice mock. The key is whether Saffold can play RT. I like Saffold alot but I'm not sure I want to bank on him.

Finding someone who can play RT was the toughest part for me. I didn't want to reach for someone in the first, but couldn't decide between Charles Brown, Jared Veldheer, and Saffold. It was tough to decide where these guys would be drafted. I went with Saffold because he can play multiple positions
A+

Very nice!
Originally posted by saniner:
I tried to mix it up a little bit. I didn't add any trades, since they would most likely be unrealistic. This is my first mock, so let me have it.

1a. CJ Spiller RB Clemson

Spiller may very well be gone by the time we pick. If he falls though, I don't see us passing on him. He will add speed and versatility to our offense.
Other options: Trent Williams OT, Joe Haden CB

1b. Brandon Graham DE/OLB Michigan

Getting a pass rusher isn't first on our list of needs, but with two first rounders, I can see us picking up a play-maker like Graham. With this pick I would like for us to trade down a few spots to get another 2nd rounder, but can't see any possible(or realistic) trade scenarios.
Other options: Dan Williams NT, Mike Iupati OG

2. Rodger Saffold OT/G Indiana

He is rising up draft boards right now, but I think he will eventually end up in this area come draft day. He is versatile enough to play tackle or guard at the next level, something we value.
Other options: Nate Allen S, Dexter McCluster WR/RB

3. Reshad Jones S Georgia

I would love for us to get Morgan Burnett with this pick, but I think he will climb up draft boards once he works out. That being said, I think Jones can be our eventual replacement for Michael Lewis.
Other options: Jon Asamoah OG, Andre Roberts WR

4. Marshall Newhouse OG TCU

For this pick, it came down to Newhouse and Shawn Lauvao. In the end, I went with Newhosue because of his versatility. He can sit for a year or two before he competes for a starting spot.
Other options: Antonio Brown WR, Austen Lane DE, Shawn Lauvao OG

5. David Gettis WR Baylor

Gettis is one of my favorite WR prospects in this years draft. He is big, fast, and physical. He will need some time to develop, but I think he is someone who can do well in this league eventually.
Other options: Myron Lewis S, Joe McKnight RB

6. Brandon Deaderick DT Alabama

May not last this far, but he's another raw talent on the defensive line.
Other options: George Selvie OLB, Micah Johnson LB

7. LeRoy Vann RS

My favorite return man coming out of this draft. I know I went with Spiller earlier, but I think Spiller should handle only kick-offs, and Vann can handle punts. In fact, I'd prefer Vann to do both.

UDFA: Jamar Wall CB Texas Tech - He is just a guy I like. He will probably not be more than a special teams guy. Like Keith Lewis, this guy can make a hit.

Don't forget the way the team was talking like they were going to go after multiple return guys, so Spiller and Vann in the same draft may not be that far fetched.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I give your draft a big, fat A+

I would love it if it worked out this way. Even though ROT is our biggest team need, I'd still rather see us use those two firsts on impact players at then look for a ROT in the second. And Spiller and Graham are the probably the two impact players I want most in the first round.

And the other thing you did that I like is drafted two players that return kicks and punts. I think that's critical. Returners get hurt all the time and I DO NOT want to see Jones back there again this year.

Nice job!

Agree. I believe the 49ers will add multiple players with return abilities in the draft!
Share 49ersWebzone