There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we need to draft a pass rusher???

Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by genus49:
Yes we do.

I've already mentioned it before but a lot of our sack numbers are skewed by big performances against sucky teams. We also manufacture our pass rush. It would be ideal if we had one guy that the other team has to game plan for to stop.

Thinking Ahmad Brooks is that guy at this point is pre-mature. We made the mistake last year with seeing what Haralson did in limited pass rush situations well he didn't look nearly as good this year as a starter. Plus as much as I love Manny he may be gone after next year.

HEY, Genus, most teams manufacture their pass rush. It's called blitzing and stunting.

That is a way to get pressure if you aren't able to get it with your front guys. Creating pressuere without blitzing is what teams are looking for.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by genus49:
Yes we do.

I've already mentioned it before but a lot of our sack numbers are skewed by big performances against sucky teams. We also manufacture our pass rush. It would be ideal if we had one guy that the other team has to game plan for to stop.

Thinking Ahmad Brooks is that guy at this point is pre-mature. We made the mistake last year with seeing what Haralson did in limited pass rush situations well he didn't look nearly as good this year as a starter. Plus as much as I love Manny he may be gone after next year.

HEY, Genus, most teams manufacture their pass rush. It's called blitzing and stunting.

That is a way to get pressure if you aren't able to get it with your front guys. Creating pressuere without blitzing is what teams are looking for.

I agree, that would be the best scenario. If a team is so fortunate as to have a blue chip rusher, he usually faces a TE & OT or OT& RB left in to chip block.
Originally posted by mebemused:
I'm interested in Jared Odrick for just that reason. He can take up space at DE, but he is also powerful and quick enough to split double team blocks.

The only thing stopping me from wanting him is that we have two unknown DE's Kentwan Balmer and Ricky Jean-Francois, two raw D-linemen with physical upside.

They say it takes two years for a D-line man to learn his position.

I'm a huge Odrick fan. The only problem with him is wrapping up when he tackles. He disrupts the play in the backfield, but doesn't always wrap up. Last year I know we were interested in Tyson Jackson, so I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a lineman early in this draft. Odrick and Dan Williams are two guys I wouldn't mind in the first, though I'd prefer trading down to get Odrick.

As for another pass rusher, we could definitely pick one or two guys up. I would love to see Brandon Graham on the 49ers. I think we'll pick someone up in the middle of the draft though.
Originally posted by English:
I am a great fan of Brooks but it is surely way too early to describe him as a good pass rusher. And despite Lawson's strengths I don't consider him an average pass rusher. We need a beast. And at the moment we don't have one.

Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by genus49:
Yes we do.

I've already mentioned it before but a lot of our sack numbers are skewed by big performances against sucky teams. We also manufacture our pass rush. It would be ideal if we had one guy that the other team has to game plan for to stop.

Thinking Ahmad Brooks is that guy at this point is pre-mature. We made the mistake last year with seeing what Haralson did in limited pass rush situations well he didn't look nearly as good this year as a starter. Plus as much as I love Manny he may be gone after next year.

HEY, Genus, most teams manufacture their pass rush. It's called blitzing and stunting.

Wow thanks for opening up my world to something new and exciting


When you manufacture your pass rush using blitzes you leave yourself open for big plays.

If you can just get your guys to go one on one and still rush the passer you increase your turnover ratios big time. I never said you can't mix things up but if you rely on your pass rush coming from blitzes and stunts only then it makes the offensive coordinator for the other team's job much easier.
It would be nice but I wouldnt be pissed if we didnt get one until the later rounds
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Brandon Graham. Period.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by English:
I am a great fan of Brooks but it is surely way too early to describe him as a good pass rusher. And despite Lawson's strengths I don't consider him an average pass rusher. We need a beast. And at the moment we don't have one.


That pretty much sums it up. In my mock draft, I would take Brandon Graham at #17 and Lamar Houston in the 3rd. That way, our outside pass rush and interior push would be addressed.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM ]
If anyone, I would like Jerry Hughes!
  • Alchemy
  • Info N/A
You can never have to many good pass rushers....especially considering how inconsistent our pass rush was last year.

In the first I'd take either Graham or Morgan

In the 2nd, Hughes or Sapp

However we do it, we need to address it in this draft
Originally posted by Alchemy:
You can never have to many good pass rushers....especially considering how inconsistent our pass rush was last year.

In the first I'd take either Graham or Morgan

In the 2nd, Hughes or Sapp

However we do it, we need to address it in this draft

I assume I am misreadng you. Is this an either/or? You are surely not proposing to spend two of our top three picks on pass rush?